Hector Lombard vs. Paulo Filho set for Bellator “Super Fight” on May 13

CHICAGO, Ill. (March 30, 2010) — Bellator Fighting Championships announced today that its reigning middleweight champion, Hector Lombard, will fight a non-title “Super Fight” against former WEC Champion Paulo Filho at Bellator 18.

The fight will take place on Thursday, May 13th and will be televised live on FOX Sports Net and on highlight shows the following Saturday night, May 15th, on NBC and Telemundo. The venue for the event will be announced in the coming days.

This is the third Super Fight matchup to be announced by Bellator, along with the May 6th bout between current Bellator Lightweight Champion Eddie Alvarez and Josh Neer and the May 20th matchup of Bellator Featherweight Champion Joe Soto and Diego “The Octopus” Saraiva.

Filho, who boasts a career record of 19-1, was the consensus No.2-ranked middleweight in the world as recently as 14 months ago when he was the reigning WEC Middleweight Champion. He also has a perfect 7-0 record as a competitor in the PRIDE Fighting Championships in Japan. Recently, Filho has been busy winning three strait fights in the last eight months.

Lombard, 23-2, is a judo black belt who competed for the Cuban National Team during the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney. He defeated Virgil Lozano, Damien Stelly and Jared Hess to win the first-ever Bellator Middleweight Championship belt last June and is a perfect 3-0 since.

“Our Super Fights are designed to test our champions against the best available fighters, said Bellator founder and CEO Bjorn Rebney. “Paulo’s won three fights in the last 8 months including an impressive submission victory over Melvin Manhoef in DREAM in July. When Paulo’s on his game, he is one of the most dangerous middleweights in the world. Just over a year ago he was ranked as one of the top 185 pounders on earth. Now, he’s back and winning frequently. And, whereas other top middleweights wanted nothing to do with Hector Lombard, Paulo and his team agreed to take this fight. As I have said frequently, I believe Hector Lombard is one of the top middleweights in the world and this fight could be a great test for Hector and a great fight for MMA fans.”

Lombard, who is currently training with American Top Team in Miami, said he’s looking forward to getting back in the cage.

“I think it’s a great fight for me,” he said. “Paulo is a big name in MMA and he’s a former champion, so it will be champion versus champion. I think I match up really well with him both on my feet and on the ground.”

For more information, visit Bellator.com, follow Bellator on Twitter @BellatorMMA or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Bellator. Tickets are available at www.Ticketmaster.com.

• inkythewinky says:

there is nothing super about this fight

• mu_shin says:

Running through the channels on late night TV last night and saw a two hour Bellator show on a cable channel listed as MUN2. Not great, several mismatches and some pretty amateurish action, but I saw this guy Hector Lombard fight, and he’s without a doubt the real deal. Couldn’t say how well he’d do in the big leagues, as the competition was not that stiff, but he’s got blindingly fast hands and power to spare. Never really heard of him before but he was pretty impressive in the fight I watched.

Saw the Filho/Manhoef fight, and while Paulo has had obvious problems the past couple of years, he took Manhoef apart on the ground, like it was just another day back at the gym. When he shows up focused and makes weight, there are not a lot of guys who are going to have an easy night with Paulo Filho.

Don’t know about a “super-fight”, but I can’t see how this wouldn’t be an entertaining contest, especially as it’s a classic striker/grappler match-up.

• Unabomberman says:

If Filho, somehow, pulls this one it’s certainly super.

• Kuch says:

• Guthookd says:

How many more promotions are going to put their faith in Filho only to have him flake out or no show?  (Quote)

That’s what I was thinking. I hope they have a backup plan.

• fanoftna33 says:

I hope Bellator doesn’t count on Filho acually making this fight. If he shows great it will be a great fight but with him it’s 50/50 if he show’s or not. I would really like to see him just disappear for a year or so to get thing right for himself and his family. I understand he needs to earn a living but he needs to be able to get things strait first, then maybe we will see a truly motivated and clean Paulo on a tear and fighting in the UFC someday.

• Guthookd says:

@ Fan,

• PsYc0tIkDrEaM says:

I hope Paulo Does show up and doesn’t dissapear like he did for Dream 12. This is a Huge Test for Lombard.

• fanoftna33 says:

@ Fan,It would take a huge turnaround (and maybe even a reach around) for Zuffa to ever employ Filho again I think. He’s a good fighter, but like you said, he’s a 50/50 to even show up and Zuffa doesn’t tolerate that kinda crapola.

Great stuff Guthooked. While I agree it is very unlikely, it is DW himself that say’s never say never. If Paulo can turn himself around and prove some consistancy then I would bet the UFC would welcome him back. I admit it is unlikely though but we can hope.

• Guthookd says:

This will be the first season I’m watching and I’m excited to see what there all about.  (Quote)

Same here. They have a good mix of a few known fighters and a lot of great looking up and commers. I’ve never been a huge fan of the tournament format, but in this case it’s not all going down in the same night (at leat that is what I understand) so it’s different in a good way.

Plus it’s on FSN!! Yee haw.