Brock Lesnar: Good for Carwin winning that fake belt

With former champions such as Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Frank Mir recently being blown out of the water by opponents many consider to be the new breed of heavyweights in the UFC, current heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar views the current state of big men in the promotion as a passing of the guard of sorts.

“Shane’s a tough guy and I just know that Frank’s time is done,” said Lesnar in a recent article on Yahoo! Sports. “This is the new evolution of the heavyweight division. Brock Lesnar, Shane Carwin, Cain Velasquez, Junior dos Santos, we’re the guys in this division.”

As far as Shane Carwin‘s newly earned interim heavyweight title is concerned, Lesnar had no problem in giving the newly crowned champ his due…. well, sort of.

“This belt thing, well, hopefully he enjoys the moment,” said Brock. “He should enjoy the win over Frank, but he has to realize that I’m the heavyweight champion. Everybody knows that. Good for him winning that fake belt.”

And while Carwin may currently lay claim to what Lesnar deems to be a “make believe belt”, the formidable former WWE superstar will be the first to admit that Carwin will be no walk in the park come UFC 116 when the two hulking titans are set to clobber one another for the right to be called the true undisputed heavyweight king of the UFC.

“I had to pull out against him last fall and I didn’t feel good about that,” said Lesnar. “But I couldn’t fight a guy like that if I wasn’t in the best shape of my life. I had to do what I had to do.”

• bigbadjohn says:

See. Brocks not the jerk hes made out to be. He isnt classless, hes just supremely confident in his abilities. The 100 aftermath gave him a bad rep but heading into the future with the HW div this competitive I cant wait to see this beast matched up against the best. Cant wait for July!

• dpk says:

How often do you see 4 hyped prospects rise to the occasion and totally turn over a division in two years. Since Lesnar, Velasquez, Carwin, and Dos Santos all debuted between Feb and Nov in 2008. At that time Tim Silvia was fighting Nog for the interm title, and Randy Couture was trying to get out of a contract to fight Fedor. Now 2 years later the whole face of the division has changed, and more young talent like Duffee, Struve, Barry, and Shaub are showing potential to keep the top of the division interesting for a long time.

• Kuch says:

This fight will be huge. I think Brock respects Carwin as much as he does because Carwin prefers to do his talking in the cage (like Brock). Some folks say you have to watch out for the quiet ones…

Anyone else notice how the caged bowed/shook when Carwin and Mir slammed into it? Imagine what will happen if Brock or Carwin really shoot for a double leg and go into the cage?

• Lethal Liquid says:

I hope they re-enforce the Octagon when these cats go toe to toe. Its gonna be epic

• Vogairian says:

I actually had that same realization. I always thought they were about the same size, but next to one another Brock makes him look small.

• bigbadjohn says:

typical anti Brock bias. Of the entire article above, the article publisher chooses that specific quote for the title. If any of you actually read the whole thing, youd see Lesnar is quite respectful and my original comment I believe was bang-on

• Rece Rock: I never realized how big Brock is until he stood across from Carwin sat. night… tremendous individual.HW division is in a renaissance and we are fortunate enough to get to see all these possible match ups first hand. Awesome…

Something wasn’t right with that shot. Carwin is 6 4′ or 6 5′ depending on where I read and I have never seen Brock listed any taller that 6 2′, I am sure he had on dress shoes but he did look much taller and bigger than Carwin but so did Mir.

I am pumped for this fight. Brock is right about this being a new time of heavyweight but I think it is just a transitioning to the next evolution because none of then have Jitsu in the arsenal except maybe Dos Santos and we haven’t had to see that yet.

With all that said, I don’t think that Mir is Done. He simply needs to stay more active when these guys get on him. Mir seems to just freeze up. If he would have been more active the fight would have gone differently.

Brocks time is only going to be for a moment after Carwin gets on him. I can’t wait 😀

• MacBatty says:

I love Brock…..But any and all of these guys would lose to Fedor….

• joshuawood says:

There needs to be a 235 middle heavyweight class. These guys are just to big to be put with the smaller fighters.

• yhknq says:

MacBatty: I love Brock…..But any and all of these guys would lose to Fedor….All we are really doing is finding out who the 2nd best Heavyweight in the world is…..

Brett Rogers damn near beat Fedor.
    Lesnar
    Velasquez
    Carwin
    dos Santos
    Mir
    all would have a good shot at beating him

• bigbadjohn says:

As of now, no question is Fedor number 1. but with limited opponents in SF, his ranking could soon drop. how do you maintain top spot if you dont fight any top 5ers

• yhknq says:

with Velasquez on the shelf awaiting a title shot. Does that mean we will get to see dos Santos vs Mir? That would be an interesting match up.

Actually BigbadJohn I would def. question Fedor being # 1… I can’t take into account fights from more than 2 years ago to qualify this guys CURRENT status… cause he’s really not fighting anybody special lately and that doesn’t help the argument so I don’t know why everyone is always quick to say he’s #1… #1 of what Strike force HW’s cause yea that’s true but #1 HW in the world… nah not so much, not today or yesterday maybe when he gets his shit together and controls his own destiny instead of having hand picked fights where he’s always at the advantage… he’s riding this thing out and fattin’ up his pockets and then he’s going back to mother russia and sittign pretty- he really doesn’t care what we think of him or his legacy… his goal is to get that money make that money and pocket that money…. Fedor will do whats bets for his pocket not the sport…I hope Overeem wins and walks away from SF or better yeat fights fedor after rogers and somehow beats him- that would be hilarious and the end of SF

• danw84 says:

Until someone beats him, Fedor is the best heavyweight. It’s unfortunate he isn’t fighting the guys we all want him to fight, but until someone has a record anywhere close to his against the competition he’s fought, Fedor is still it.

• Guthookd says:

If Brock looses to Carwin we’ll see Mir Brock III……and I fear that Brock is right, Mir’s days are numbers and could very well be passed.

• Guthookd says:

I dont’ think Fedor is number one. He was getting his ass handed to him by Arlovsky for god’s sake. If AR hadn’t made that mistake it would have been his fight. As someone else said in an earlier thread, Fedor is dead to me.

• Guthookd says:

AR = AA

• Niv says:

yhknq:
    Brett Rogers damn near beat Fedor.
    Lesnar
    Velasquez
    Carwin
    dos Santos
    Mir
    all would have a good shot at beating him

Rogers never even came close to beating Fedor. The bar has been set so high for this guy that people get hard on’s when someone lands a punch on the guy.

Go back and watch that fight again, he broke Fedor’s nose with a jab and he landed 3 or 4 bombs from the top when Fedor was on his back. You seemed to miss the parts where Fedor tossed the much larger fighter around and basically worked his usual methodical fight. Fedor is the hardest hitter in mma and without a doubt is the toughest guy with maybe the best chin in the sport.

Now to Brock, he’s a dick but he’s a formidable fighter and so are those new guys that have been proving themselves like Carwin, Velasquez and Dos Santos. These guys look like the real deal and should be able to provide some epic fights in the near future.

Out of all of these guys Dos Santos is the guy that excites me the most and I think he’s championship material. I look forward to seeing him fight more than any other HW right now, he definitely has the right stuff.

Having said that, sorry it’s true they are all fighting it out to see who the 2nd best HW in the world is for now.

• Niv says:

Guthookd: I dont’ think Fedor is number one.He was getting his ass handed to him by Arlovsky for god’s sake.If AR hadn’t made that mistake it would have been his fight. As someone else said in an earlier thread, Fedor is dead to me.

Oh come on man! Arlovski was doing well giving Fedor different angles and landed some shots, I agree he was winning the first round of the scheduled FIVE round fight, so what? He won the fight in spectacular fashion against a top notch fighter. No one can say because of a decent 1st round the fight was decided until he made a mistake, that’s plain stupid.

Big John McCarthy reffed that fight and he has said many times he has no idea what fans are talking about when they say AA had Fedor hurt and in trouble. He said he saw AA was doing well and was confusing him a bit with different looks, that was the extent of it. It’s just another pipe dream to convince yourselves the guy is no good.

If we were to use this type of logic we would have to completely discount Randy Coutures and Chuck Lidell’s achievements prior to the collapse of Pride. That would be bullshit wouldn’t it? But that’s what you guys are trying to do here based on the fact that he doesn’t fight in the largest promotion. Give it up guys, or then be consistent and say Lidell doesn’t deserve to be called a legend as he built his legend in the second biggest promotion at the time.

I don’t believe that, but the arguments consistently brought forward seem to say just that.

• Lethal Liquid says:

I have to disagree with Fedor being #1. I see Mir defeating him. Which if you look at the UFC heavyweight division that puts him at #5. Fedor’s game has stayed static and when you see that with any fighter especially in a division so stacked that spells destruction. He takes too many punches to hang with the Titans. Plus he would’nt be able to take these guys down. So we stay on the feet. Which is bad news with technical strikers like Mir,Dos Santos, and Cain.

• gy614x says:

FightFan313:
    Something wasn’t right with that shot. Carwin is 6 4? or 6 5? depending on where I read and I have never seen Brock listed any taller that 6 2?, I am sure he had on dress shoes but he did look much taller and bigger than Carwin but so did Mir.I am pumped for this fight.Brock is right about this being a new time of heavyweight but I think it is just a transitioning to the next evolution because none of then have Jitsu in the arsenal except maybe Dos Santos and we haven’t had to see that yet.With all that said, I don’t think that Mir is Done. He simply needs to stay more active when these guys get on him.Mir seems to just freeze up.If he would have been more active the fight would have gone differently.Brocks time is only going to be for a moment after Carwin gets on him.I can’t wait

Carwin and Dos Santos both have purple belts dude.

• gy614x says:

and a lot of people are saying lesnar is bigger than carwin, i hope they dont mean more muscular, Lesnar has a bigger upper torso but that isnt necessarily muscle, and i think a lot of carwins weight is in his legs, those things are the size of telephone poles as appose to lesnars bird legs lol.

gonna be a great fight, im pumped and happy i jumped on Carwins band wagon after he wacked gonzaga

• bigbadjohn says:

So funny. The tale of the tape read: Carwin 6’5 and Mir 6’3. at the opening face off Mir was obviously taller and after the fight Brock towered over him. but ive seen Brock listed as 6’2 and 6’3. Carwin is probably more like 6’1, so whats with the phantom 4 inches listed Saturday night?

• MacBatty says:

Anyone who thinks that

Niv: I agree today the UFC is the biggest org in the world, but you can’t use that as a basis to erase Fedor’s achievements past and present.

AMEN to THAT…..That’s what im trying to say…..To say that any of these guys is #1 in the world is ridiculous…..Fedor has as many wins as the UFC guys have fights. The guy has NEVER been beat and hasn’t been in trouble in a while and you guys want to say because Carwin beat Mir and Gonzaga that he can hang with Fedor now?!?

You UFC munchers talk about all the Tomato cans that Fedor has beat up lately but what about all those wins that Cain, Dos Santos, & Carwin have been piling up before finally getting decent competition?

• Dufresne says:

Notice anything? The only top 10 HW he’s faced in 5 years is AA, and he was getting beat up before he landed that shot. Yeah the fight may have gone differently if they had gone to the next round, but that doesn’t change the fact that Fedor was getting hit, a lot.
    Saying you can’t ignore his past to gauge his current standings is kinda dumb. You don’t win fights based on your passed opponents and your history, but on how good you are currently.

• Niv says:

Dufresne: Fedor is a supremely talented fighter, but I also have to question his #1 spot. Who has he fought in the last 5 years? Rogers (not a top 10 HW), AA (glass jaw), Tim Sylvia (2-4 in his last 6), Hong-Man Choi (freak show fighter), Matt Lindland (good fighter, at middle weight. Fedor out weighs him by 40 pounds), Mark Hunt (5-6), and Mark Coleman.

Actually Fedor’s past 3 fights were Tim Sylvia, Andrei Arlovski and Brett Rogers I think these guys can hang with any heavyweights out there today. I know Sylvia always looks feeble but if he’s in shape he’s proven to be an awkward guy to fight. On another note these guys aside from Rogers were the dominant HW’s in the UFC and didn’t run into any trouble until they left the UFC.

The point being you can’t just arbitrarily rank UFC fighters ahead of Fedor based on where they fight.

Also to whoever stated Mir can beat Fedor, well I doubt that the best Frank Mir ever could beat Fedor on his worst day. What you’re choosing not to see is Fedor’s well rounded game that is based off of Combat Sambo. He can strike and he can roll to say otherwise is just foolish.

• Dufresne says:

I pointed them all out, I know who they fought. Another thing, they were dominant in the UFC HW division when there was no one to fight. Silvia fought AA twice consecutively with AA not fighting anyone else before the rematch. After that Tim fought Jeff Monson. Yeah, they were destroying the best in the world there…. Oh and they left the UFC after they lost.

I’m not arbitrarily ranking anyone. I’m saying it’s impossible to say Fedor is the top HW these days because he doesn’t fight anyone or near often enough. He very well could be the best out there, but when he fights one guy every 2 years how are you supposed to rank that?

• slammy862 says:

You can’t claim to be the biggest baddest dog if you don’t run with the biggest baddest dogs.

Brock said it, this is a new day for heavyweights. Things have changed. This current crop is a whole new animal and fedor’s used to dealing with the same old pups.

He ruled pride and was untouchable, I don’t take anything away from him or his achievements.

So why should you fedor supporters take away what the ufc hwt’s are and have done.

Only one way to settle this and fedor knows how to do it, yet we find him in exhibition matches and fighting the likes of werdum.

Fedor has dana’s phone number.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I’m gonna call Brock and Fedor 1 and 1a because they are champions in the two top MMA companies in North America. I don’t really give a damn about Japan and I don’t think any HW they have could hang with most of the HW in UFC or SF.

I also agree with Bigbadjohn in saying Brock isn’t really as bad as alot of ppl thought after UFC 100. Frank Mir made the fight personal with insults and Lesnar had extra motivation to put a beating on him and the emotional release after beating someone you really don’t like got the best of him. He didn’t react like a moron after beating Couture. He was happy but, gave credit where it was due.

I think as long as Carwin keeps the trash talk on a professional level Lesnar will do the same. Nothing wrong with saying “I think I’m the best and I think I’m gonna win” is there? No one says “I suck and I’m prolly gonna get my ass beat but, hey it’s a paycheck!” Brock is just supremely confident in his skills and also has a point in saying the belt Carwin has means nothing expect he gets a shot at the real belt.

• twyg says:

At the moment Fedor is still number one, even if he is not the champ in his promotion as mistakenly stated above. That being said if the winner of Lesnar/Carwin goes on to beat Cain and JDS then Fedor is out of the number one spot even if he does win the SF title; which we all know is meaningless as proven by the fact that Rogers is getting a title shot over Fedor.

• Unabomberman says:

The problem with Mir is not the fact that he’s “small,” hell, he’s bigger than Cain. His problem is that he, unlike GSP, never really put the work to make wrestling his forte, and his achilles heel happens to be that which the coming guys are best at: Striking and/or wrestling. Add to that the fact that he’s being hit by 265+ pound men. Had he fought in the smaller divisions, with his abilities, he would have done very well.

Frank Mir is like Lidell, or Tito, in the fact that he became monstrously good at what he does well, but remained monstrously vulnerable to what he didn’t. Had he had effective takedown offense and dirty boxing against Carwin, we would have seen a different fight–he’d probably still lose it, but the fight would have been different.

What good is an arsenal of jiu jitsu if you can’t ever find yourself using it against top competition?

• danw84 says:

If not Dos Santos, where does Mir go from here?

• moosebaby02 says:

So guys, what’s next for Mir? He may be coming off a loss, but it was for an interim title, so I assume he’s still fairly high up in the ranking. Dana said Dos Santos needs another win before he can be considered for a title shot, what about him vs Mir?If not Dos Santos, where does Mir go from here?  (Quote)

I Think with Mir only Creaming over Brock 24/7 he will never be the same. so what if he beats JR. its just cause he wants to fight Mir and we all know he cant

• sexy-yama says:

+1 The truth hurts

• Niv says:

So Brock comes out and says there’s a new breed out there and that stands?

Fedor fought 2 x in 2007, 1 x 2008 and 2 x 2009 total since 2007 5 x

Brock fought 1 x 2007, 3 x 2008 and 1 x 2009 total since 2007 5 x

GSP fought 3 x 2007, 2 x 2008, 2 x 2009 and once 2010 total since 2007 8 x

Just food for thought.

• MickeyC says:

• MickeyC says:

I do not care for Brocks attitude. The whole ” Fake Belt” comment. If he had been able to forfill his responsinbilities as a fighter!!!!!  (Quote)

If he had been able to come to work we would not need this belt. Dudes got week guts.

• Dufresne says:

Okay, let’s further break down Fedor’s recent fights compared to Brock and GSP.

Fedor has fought 5 times since 2007. In those fights he fought a middleweight (Lindland), a freak show (Hong-Man Choi), a rapidly fading former champ (Sylvia), a former champ with a glass jaw (AA), and a guy that almost no one has ranked in the top 10 (Rogers).

Brock has fought 5 times since 2007. In those fights he fought a joke MMA fighter in his debut, a former champ that just competed for another belt and who was 10-3 going into the fight (Mir), a number #1 contender (granted the division sucked then, so that’s not much, Heath Herring btw), an all time MMA legend and multi-time, multi-weight class champ (Randy), and then Mir again. Not too bad for your first 5 fights.

GSP has fought 8 times since 2007. In those fights he lost his title (Serra), destroyed a top level wrestle, using wrestling (Kos), destroyed an all time MMA legend for his second time (Hughes), regained his title in dominating fashion (Serra), put on a clinic on a guy most people consider to be a top 5 WW in the world (Fitch), destroyed a top five P4P fighter and multi-weight class champ (BJ), beat another top 10 WW in Alves, and then beat down a relative UFC newcomer (Hardy).

Out of those 3 resumes from the last 3 years I would put GSP first, Brock 2nd, and Fedor 3rd in impressiveness. It’s not just the quantity of opponents that he’s faced, it’s the quality. He’s the most dominant HW in MMA history, there’s no denying that. What I’m saying is that his recent opponents have been mostly cans, so there’s no way to judge if he’s still the top dog in the HW division anymore.

• MickeyC says:

I do not see brock as a top 3 pound for pound. He has not had enough fights, and has not defeteded any one else i would even put in the pound for pound race. Potential yes, but he needs to put in more work, period.

• Dufresne says:

Who put Brock as a top 3 P4P?

I was pointing out that Fedor’s resume for the last half a decade has sucked compared to other fighters. Never said he’s a top 3 P4P.

• Reflect says:

Carwin is 6’2″. He said so on his twitter.

• moosebaby02 says:

So Brock comes out and says there’s a new breed out there and that stands?I really don’t want to take anything away from anyone as I too am impressed with this next generation of fighters like Dos Santos, Velasquez, Carwin, but Brock just doesn’t impress me as a fighter. Now the jury might still be out though, are theses guys as good as they look right now or are they just taking advantage of guys who are on a serious decline? Is Big Nog still a threat or is Mir ko’ing him nothing really special?Let’s face it none of these guys have achieved anything yet except for Brock and that can be picked apart quite easily.As for Fedor he has fought as many times in the past three years as the HW UFC Champ has so I don’t see a huge difference in activity. Fedor fought 2 x in 2007, 1 x 2008 and 2 x 2009 total since 2007 5 xBrock fought 1 x 2007, 3 x 2008 and 1 x 2009 total since 2007 5 xGSP fought 3 x 2007, 2 x 2008, 2 x 2009 and once 2010 total since 2007 8 xGSP as a 20 something fighter is understandable that he can take fighting more often and one reason Fedor isn’t as active is that he has broken his hands several times in past fights.Brock can be just as active as Fedor without criticism and we’ll chock it up to illness, well broken hands count as well.Just food for thought.  (Quote)

what??????

• Niv says:

• moosebaby02 says:

Moosebaby, what? Agreed not the easiest read I’ve written, I must admit I was a little distracted when I wrote it.As anyone can tell I have basically been responding to the Fedor hasn’t fought enough quality critics.Ok let’s compare Brock’s fights, Frank Mir was given to Brock in what I’m 100% positive for a win over a known name. Let’s not forget Frank Mir was 2-2 in his past 4 fights being previously ko’d by Marcio Cruz in round one, and ko’d by Brandon Vera in round one. I’m sure the UFC had kittens when Mir submitted Brock in the first round.. Then they give Brock another respected fighter who had not been a top HW for several years in Heath Herring. Smart move because Herring is tailor made for Brock and was grinded for three rounds, nothing too impressive as Brock certainly showed no sign of knowing how to end the fight.This leads to a title shot against another legend in Couture who is a natural 205 lb fighter, was there any serious doubt who would win when Brock weighs 285lbs? Funny thing is Couture was winning that fight until he got caught in the second round. Then Brock is given Mir again and he does to Mir what was expected the 1st go around. The names on Brock’s resume in the UFC are impressive on the surface but in reality it was given to him. I think Brock will get a good test with Carwin, but he’s still fighting for the title of second best.  (Quote)

ok now i get

• moosebaby02 says:

but Fedor hasnt really fought any “Real” compatition to put his P4P status in no doubt as well

• moosebaby02 says:

but i hear ya.
    Now

• Niv says:

Well Moose this debate has taken aturn from Fedor being the best HW in the world to his status in the p4p rankings. My comments 1st and foremost were directed towards his being considered the best HW.

I’ve explained Brock’s rise and left out that his first signed fight as a pro was against Hung Man Choi, but that was cancelled last minute and Min Soo Kim (or something like that) was given to Brock. Fair enough it was his first fight so no big deal here.

Back to Fedor when he fought Mark Hunt, Hunt had a 5-2 mma record, weighed 295 lbs and was known for his strength and agility regardless of what his body type looks like. Hunt was also the only fighter I have ever seen take a Cro Cop left leg kick square to the head and walk right through it. Mark Hunt’s record since fighting Fedor is atrocious in mma, but before that it was respectable.

Hung Man Choi is the only black eye on his past five fights, but again when a 6′, 230 lb fighter submits a 7’4″, 360 lb fighter that is still impressive in itself. Tim Sylvia was 6-2 in his last eight UFC fights losing his last one to Big Nog via submission. If anyone remembers that fight Sylvia was winning it and had Nog hurt but Nog pulled out a classic Nog win.

Andrei Arlovski on the other hand was on a five fight winning streak and left the UFC on a winning note before running into Fedor. The classic slag against Arlovski is he has a glass jaw. That just isn’t fair every fight he’s been ko’d was by someone who was known to have heavy hands and that can happen to anyone in the HW division making Fedor’s achievements that much more impressive.

I’ll tap out on this subject, I have nothing more to say on it, it is what it is. Take care all.