Alistair Overeem vs. Brett Rogers for Strikeforce heavyweight title

Grab hold of something or make sure you’re sitting down, because Alistair Overeem will be facing with Brett Rogers for Overeem’s Strikeforce heavyweight championship on April 17 during “Strikeforce St. Louis: Heavy Artillery” from the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Missouri.

Strikeforce has confirmed the news through numerous media outlets late Sunday evening.

The title defense for Overeem will be his first since obtaining the championship with a TKO over Paul Buentello back in November of 2007, while Rogers will be rebounding from a knockout defeat to challenge for the title.

Overeem has been keeping busy beating down a laundry list of B-level fighters such as Gary Goodridge, Tony Sylvester, James Thompson and Kazuyuki Fujita as of late, while Rogers was most recently flattened at the hands of Fedor Emelianenko after notching an impressive knockout victory over Andrei Arlovski.

• Dufresne says:

Okay, this fight didn’t make sense the first time, and it still doesn’t. Brett just lost to Fedor, how is he a #1 contender?

SF, what the hell are y’all doing? You started up with great business ideas and good card making, now it just seems like you’re throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

• DrummerFFG says:

I agree with Dufresne. This seems like such a farce. When do you get a title shot when coming off of a loss? C’mon Coker, you guys are better than this.

• Kuch says:

M-1’s ability to manipulate Strikeforce by dangling Fedor’s services over their head is making Strikeforce look foolish when it comes to deciding who gets the next HW title shot. I understand SF needs to move forward with a HW title defense, and this is probably their only option, but they won’t pull this off without a lot of criticism. Pity, because the rest of their divisions are progressing nicely.

• fanoftna33 says:

well said Kuch, people are tending to forget that Fedor was not an option to fight Overeem here and SF went with the best of the rest. I think this will end up being a great fight, you have a very strong, technical striker in Overeem, who is also pretty good on the ground vs a Extremely strong, very tough Brawler. Should be a lot of fun to watch.

• yhknq says:

I agree with Kuch
    but believe they will save some face if Rogers can win decisively over Overeem. Proving he was the caliber of fighter to fight for the belt, even though at that time was not most deserving.

• MCM says:

DrummerFFG: I agree with Dufresne.This seems like such a farce.When do you get a title shot when coming off of a loss?C’mon Coker, you guys are better than this.

Sylvia got a title shot against Fedor when he lost in the UFC.
    But I agree this is ridiculous. Why not have Werdum fight for the title. He’s coming off a win at least. Or just strip Overroid, the guy hasn’t fought in Strikeforce for almost 3yrs. This just makes Strikefore belts look like jokes.

• bigbadjohn says:

Its a joke, but after a 2 year layoff for the champ, having his return be a non-title match is just as absurd. i just hope overeem wins so we get to see him dethroned by fedor instead of a Brett rematch

This is still pointless…

How about this as a thought of a worst case scenario-

Overeem wins & gains some respect as the champ and I guess proves his worth… but then decides to pack up his things and go back to Japan before defending his belt… Sounds not so far fetched huh?

Coker is an idiot. Overeem should have been stripped months ago…

I think this may the begining of a nightmare for SF.

• Maybe this is Cokers way of saying F you M1 Global. Without knowing when Fedor is going to fight has to be frustrating being in the partnership. This could just be his way of keeping control and saying to M1that he is still in control or maybe Fedor ducted the fight.

If none of what I said is On at all then StrikeForce is seriously out order but I really think there is more going on than we know.

• moosebaby02 says:

what a joke.
    who was it that said M1 is better for MMA than Dana???

• Niv says:

Well I’m not going to pretend that I know the inner workings of Fedor’s contract with SF.

The fact his first fight wasn’t for the title should be a clue that the contract may have been set up different than most think.

I’m starting to believe that the contract may have some intrigue that goes with it, in the sense that SF may have signed Fedor to a 3 fight contract simply to help build its brand name. Maybe the co-promotion thing was what it was about to help both companies and Fedor was going to leave SF after 3 fights and without the title t ensure SF doesn’t have a bigger title dilemma when it’s over.

It’s only a guess but maybe it’s to give more leverage for better conditions on a possible UFC contract.

This thing is strange but there has to be more to it than meets the eye.

• Curly Biddles says:

I believe you guys are being too hard on this SF title bout. Overeem got the belt when they were just building the stable of fighters. They had a hard time scheduling a defense for Overeem (obviously, years), and it would be stupid to strip him of the title and say Fedor vs Werdum for the title.

I would be that Werdum was offered either the title shot or a bout with Fedor and he chose Fedor. That is likely why this is happening. I have met Werdum and believe he just wants to fight the best. He knows if he keeps winning the title will eventually be in his hands, but he wants the opportunity to compete against the BEST in the world (believe it or not), FEDOR.

Nah- SF is just dumb…I don’t care what issues they have that’s not the fans problem… That’s like saying the super market is having issues with their milk vendors and the local farms so the owner decided to put another drink in it’s place just as a temporary solution to keep the rack full and the customers would be satisfied??…I dont think that would work and I don’t think this SF HW title picture or HW division in general is working out to well – sux for them but more importantly suxx for us the fans thanks for nothing sf

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Most people are saying “joke” , “farce” “stupid” but, I think I get it.

• twyg says:

I do think this is a joke, who does the winner of this “title” fight get the next guy Fedor beats. I do think that this whole situation with M-1 and Fedor is only making Dana White look smarter every day for not getting into bed with these leeches. Yes SF got some good short term returns on signing Fedor but in the long term what are they going to do if he gets the title and they start asking for half? We know Cokers aversion to stripping titles, but I can not fathom that he is going to bend to every demand. Should be an interesting fight though, and you have to believe that Overeem is a more well rounded striker then Rodgers. The question is can Rogers get the fight to the ground where I think he has the best chance at a win. How good is is shot and can he pass guard? At least he is not making the same mistake as the last few guys who fought Fedor made and that is coming back too early.

• mu_shin says:

twyg: The question is can Rogers get the fight to the ground where I think he has the best chance at a win.

Have never seen any reference anywhere to Brett Rogers ever having wrestled or trained BJJ with anyone, so it doesn’t seem like there’s much of a chance of Rogers showing any kind of ground game. He was able to land some ground and pound on Fedor, for all the good it did him, so maybe he can do the same to Overeem, but Overeem has a lot of MMA fights, and has faced significantly better prepared fighters than Brett Rogers. No arguing that Rogers can punch, but Overeem will have other options in their match other than going toe to toe.

Can’t understand any more than anyone else how this fight makes sense, but agreee with some of the other posters, it could be entertaining, that is if Alistair Overeem actually shows up. I’ll believe that when I see it, as I fully expect to hear reports of hand injury and how Overeem really wants to defend the title but just won’t be able to do it at this time…

• moosebaby02 says:

Most people are saying “joke” , “farce” “stupid” but, I think I get it.Do you really think that if there were not some tense negotiations between between M1/Fedor and SF that Fedor wouldn’t be in place of Rogers.I’m not gonna pretend to know exactly what is happening behind the scenes but, we have all read that there continuing talks of some kind in respect to Fedor.SF has Rogers and Overeem under contract. How foolish would it look if they hyped Fedor to fight for the title then M1 said.”.know what we need more money or a bigger cut” and SF has to replace him?I just get the feeling that M1/Fedor and SF are not totally on the same page and far as payouts. I think this is a safe move so there will not be any questions. I honestly think that if they had put Fedor in the title match that would have given M1 alot of leverage to squeeze SF for more money while holding the threat of pulling Fedor.  (Quote)

understandable….but why did Croker let get to this point? why didnt croker strip jucie head when he had the chance? why is Croker still in bed with M1 when he was warned this kind of shit would happen??
    so now he has worthless fight for a worthless title but the supposed number one HW in the world.

JOKE, FARCE, STUPID

• blue says:

There is no-way Strikeforce will let Fedor fight for the Strikeforce Championship as long as Fedor fights under the M-1 Global Banner. This would just be a horrible decision on the part of any Promotion.

Think of how absurd and difficult it would be for Strikeforce to promote their brand and their fighters if their most presitigious belt is owned by a fighter in a competing promotion?

Perhaps a little history lesson regarding Riddick Bowe and his WBC Championship Belt is in order.

• MCM says:

The “joke” is not that Fedor is not getting the shot but that Rogers is. If Coker doesn’t want to get deeper in bed with M-1 well that’s fine, but put someone in the the title shot that is not coming off a loss. If you need some names that are not affiliated with M-1, well how about…..

Aleksander Emelianenko- recently severed ties with M-1 and is on a 6 fight win streak
    Jeff Monson – two fight win streak and brings as big a name as Overeem
    Josh Barnett – sure he got busted for roids (again) but look who he would be up against. 😉
    and my favorite
    Dave Pee-Wee Herman – 16 wins and 15 have come by way of punches. It’s arguable that he has as much rite to a title shot as Rogers and would be every bit, if not more, exciting.

The truth is there was alot that Strikeforce could have done and for some reason they seam to have taken this route. So yes, it’s a joke.

• MickeyC says:

I dout there are many out there that see Overeem as a real champ. Anyone that takes two years to fight B level guys while his title goes undefended is a bumb. As far as Fedor not fighting for the belt, SF must not think he will be around much longer. They could be doing this to encourage him to commit to a longer contract. I would like to see him in the UFC, just so his reputation could be tested. Don’t get me wrong there are people worthy of the fight in SF, but he would be pressured more in the UFC. To be honest I think he is at least half hype. He is a good fighter, thats true. But he built his REP on a lesser caliber of fighter than we see today.