Rousimar Palhares suspended three months for disciplinary reasons

Though seven UFC 111 fighters received suspensions from the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, only one individual on the list will be sitting on the sidelines for reasons unrelated to his medical status – Rousimar Palhares. The Brazilian middleweight, known as a jiujitsu specialist, scored a submission win via heel hook over opponent Tomasz Drwal 45 seconds into their bout but refused to release the hold until physically prompted to do so by the referee even though Drawl was vigorously tapping. For his actions Palhares was issued a 90 day suspension by the NJSACB. No official word has surfaced on whether or not he will receive further discipline from the UFC.

The above and following information was originally reported by MMAJunkie.

The complete list of suspensions is as follows:

Matt Riddle – Suspended indefinitely pending CT scan
Jared Hamman – Suspended indefinitely pending X-rays of right foot; suspended minimum of 60 days for lacerations on right foot
Tomasz Drwal – Suspended indefinitely pending X-rays of left knee and left ankle
Rousimar Palhares – Suspended 90 days for not releasing submission
Rory Markham – Suspended 30 days for facial laceration
Mark Bocek – Suspended 30 days for scalp laceration
Frank Mir – Suspended 30 days for precautionary reasons

• hindsightufuk says:

shouldnt the ref of that fight and the carwin/mir fight also be suspended for letting them carry on to long? shouldnt carwin be suspended for continuing to pound on mir after he was clearly not defending himself.
    i remember brock tapping mir twice in the first fight and mir didnt let go until the ref prompted him.

little fucking hypocritical i think, had that been a mir sub on carwin guaranteed he wouldnt be suspended.

i dont condone what Palhares did, just think its a bullshit gensture

henderson/bisping anyone?

• bigbadjohn says:

Scumbag move.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Keep in mind Bisping/Henderson and Lesnar/Mir took place in Nevada (different athletic commission, different way of handling things). If you want consistency then Palhares should get the ax from the UFC just like “Babalu” did for a similar situation.

• Rich S. says:

Are you serious?
    Fire Rousimar?
    Look, he held onto the lock a little too long, and it was the WORST submission to hold too long because of how fast it works, but I don’t think he was trying to hurt the guy..

Maybe there’s something I’m missing, I don’t know, but to me, it seemed like he had a kind of “Oh crap, my bad” look on his face when he let go and stood up..

• damonkolt says:

As soon as he did that I said he should get punished. I understand that you go until the ref stops you because maybe the ref doesn’t see the tap, but the ref pulled three or four times trying to get him to break the hold. If he is as good at that hold as the commentators said, he knew what he was doing.

• Ian says:

He’s gone from the ufc for sure. Don’t think Dana liked that too much especially when he’s trying to break into New York and Ontario and one of the main reasons thats it’s taking too long is the safety of the fighters.

• MCM says:

To me this is just another example of how the commentators (read Joe Rogan) influence how people see fights. Now I like Joe and think he’s a great commentator for the most part, but what was all that crap about counting during the slow motion replay and repeatedly saying that Rousimar held that hold too long. I didn’t even notice how long it was held until Joe started saying something.
    It’s not Palhares, or any fighters, job to let go when they feel the fighter taping. They let go when the ref tells them to. The way I saw it was Drwal starts tapping on Palhares arm, the ref comes in, grabs the arm as Rousimar is looking away and pulls. As soon as Rousimar sees the ref he let go. It didn’t look excessive in the least. Hendo didn’t get suspended for the extra hit on Bisping. Rampage didn’t get suspended for the extra hits to Wandy. BJ didn’t get suspend for the extra hold on Pulver. So why suspend Rousimar Palhares for doing something completely legal?

• DeDub says:

I have to agree with MCM on this one. Not so much on the Rogan part because I think that he and Goldberg are clearly the best in the business and I don’t want to hear anyone else call fights (I mute Strikeforce from time to time) but definitely on the Palhares take. Palhares is a beast and he isn’t going to make a technical mistake (ala GSP). If he gets you, you are going to tap. The only thing he did wrong was be strong as hell. There is nothing saying that Drwal’s knee wasn’t jacked before. You can’t tell when the damage was done. I would say that the excessive punches Mir took were worse then Palhares wrenching on that leg lock. My two cents….

• MickeyC says:

it is as ;uch the refs falt as the fighters. i have been watching about 15 years now and was under the impression that it was to go until the ref stops it.period. not the fans or rogan. he seemed to let go when the ref said to. it looked good to me.

• slammy862 says:

Reminds me of what shamrock did to rutten awhile back.

Look, nothing will ruin this sport quicker than if people start getting maimed in the cage.

Be it the ref or the fighters fault, joint locks are serious sh*t and the fighters know that better than anyone.

• sonofdavinci says:

For me it had nothing to do with whatever Rogan said, because I was in a bar and couldn’t hear a word of the commentary. However, I was screaming at the screen at the end of both the Palhares fight and the Mir/Carwin fight. While I definitely think Carwin landed a bunch of unnecessary punches, its not his falt…He even looked up at the ref to say “do I really need to do any more?”. Mir didn’t tap, and the ref didn’t stop the fight when he should have. With a submission the obvious difference is the guy is TAPPING. Obviously Palhares knew the fight was over, and there is really no argument that justifies him not letting go of the leg. He’s a top level Jits practitioner, so knows that when you get a guy in a airtight submission, you should be expecting the tap and should be ready to let go when your opponent submits. Period. I am so happy the commission suspended him, though I think there should be a fine as well. Next, lets do something about the horrible job that Dan Miragliata did reffing.

• fanoftna33 says:

• ColinL says:

I watched this stuff again on the dvr, a few times for good measure.

Palhares definitely held it too long. All the stuff he and his camp have said is bullshit because obviously you don’t admit that you wrenched the dude’s knee to make a point.

GSP is also full of shit. The guy is an awesome fighter but he did NOT want to break Hardy’s arm. Hardy did not escape either hold, he simply refused to tap and GSP refused to break the arm and eventually relinquished the hold.

The technique thing is an excuse. Hardy knows GSP could have broken his arm, or at least destroyed his shoulder. GSP had all the leverage in the world on that kimura and only did a strong tug once. Hardy didn’t tap. GSP could have keep wrenching like that and either dislocated his shoulder, tearing the hell out of his rotator cuff in the process, or broken the arm. Something was going to give and Georges had tons of leverage.

• Dufresne says:

fanoftna33: I really think this is getting blown out of proportion, sure he held the hold to long but not so long as to get himself fired ala Babalu, but long enough for anybody watching to think it was to much. A three month suspension isnt any more than a light slap on the wrist anyway. I mean he will be back in the octagon in 5-6 months- suspension or no suspension- so getting upset by it is really pointless. Now if the UFC wants to add time or fine the guy then people will have a reason to complain.

After watching it a few times, sound off and everything, I have to agree with you that he shouldn’t be fired. Babalu was obviously holding on in spite of the ref and in retaliation for a previous incident and that’s why he got fired. However, I can’t say that Palhares doesn’t deserve some sort of punishment for that stunt. This isn’t the old days of the UFC where a fighter would tap and then his corner would rush the Octagon claiming he never submitted or the fighter would lie to the ref and try and keep fighting. When a fighter taps, the fight is over, period. Drwal was tapping frantically on Palhares trying to get him to let go and Palhares should have stopped right then and there. If there had been any sort of controversy they could have simply pointed at the replay and said “you tapped, game over.”

I wouldn’t be opposed to a six month suspension by the UFC that runs concurrent with his athletic commission suspension. He’d be able to train and he could be back fighting within the year, yet it gives a pretty solid warning to fighters out there to not pull that crap in the UFC.

• Guthookd says:

Good. I hope the UFC cans his ass. I normally try not to bag on fighters, but I think Palhares is a piece of — and I never want to see him fight again. I hope he goes the Paulo Filjo route and steps off the face of the earth. —— Easy with the fighter bashing – Staff

• Guthookd says:

damonkolt: …. but the ref pulled three or four times trying to get him to break the hold.If he is as good at that hold as the commentators said, he knew what he was doing.

Exactly. Thank you. I agree completely.

• Rich S. says:

Wow Guthookd.. So, this leg lock, that may or may not have injured Drwal’s leg (he walked out of the octagon under his own power) has given you THAT MUCH hatred towards Toquinho? You never want to see him fight again? Geeze.. Well, that’s a shame, because I think he’s a future title contender…

The heel hook is tricky.. Most of the time, the fighter won’t tap until it’s too late.. And then it all happens so fast.. I would be willing to guarantee that, had Palhares applied an armbar, or a rear naked choke, he wouldn’t have held on for so long after the tap..

I find it weird that I’m having to say “so long” to get my point across.. After all, so long, in this case, is… What? 2 seconds?

I just rewatched the footage.. While he didn’t react to the tapping, he let go almost immediately after the ref stopped the fight.. It LOOKED like he could still be cranking the lock, but I’m pretty sure he had quit applying pressure, and the foot was “resting” in his arm pit until he raised his hands in, again, a kind of “Alright I’m done, my bad” manner..

Eh, this is all just my opinion..

• Makington says:

Does anyone know if there was bad blood between them? They didn’t seem like they had a hatred towards one another to me. The reason Babalu got in such trouble with Heath was because he held on with malicious intent. He was purposely trying to hurt the guy. It seemed like Rousimar held on because a mixture of he really wanted the win, the adrenaline pumping through him, not literally having the ref pulling him off (which I agree with Dufresne on how it’s not as important with modern technology), and him having a stupid moment. Maybe they hate eachother but they seemed pretty regular.

I believe he definitely held too long, and I believe his suspension is fair, but I don’t believe he was purposely trying to hurt Tomas to send a message.

• hindsightufuk says:

Makington: Where’s Dan Miragliotta’s suspension for the Carwin/Mir fight. I don’t believe Carwin should be in trouble at all for that one because he was TRYING to stop. He kept giving the ref the kind of wtf? look a couple times while Mir was flat on his stomach, clearly unconscious. The ref had him keep going for way too log.  (Quote)

couldnt agree more, the man should be shot, he’s the worst of the bunch

Other reports say the guy has held on a bit to long in the past aswell… I think he wasn’t doing it in a malicious way I just think he secures the hold until he knows he’s the victor… I think he should learn a lesson and realize his well being in victory is just as important as the well being of his opponents in defeat… I understand these guys hurt each other for a living but theres no excuse to go beyond the stoppage if the opponent admits defeat.
    He also claims BTT has trained him this way because in the past refs have missed the tap and have reset the fighters and almost cost them a win… I dunno- but I’m sure if the other fighter comes back with torn ligaments and significant damage the UFC will pursue this further.

• Snoop Dogg says:

Great decision I thought that was a shitty thing of him to do.

• manny says:

I call BS, ref should have stepped in there faster. He was too far apart fromthe fight and he held it 5 seconds extra than it needed to. Why not discipline the ref?

• wallst20 says:

Guthookd: Good. I hope the UFC cans his ass. I normally try not to bag on fighters, but I think Palhares is a piece of shit and I never want to see him fight again.I hope he goes the Paulo Filjo route and steps off the face of the earth.Fucking asshole son of a bitch. FUCK HIM!

Dear Mrs Drwal. Sorry about your son.

• king mah mah says:

Okay okay, so he held on to the sub for a couple extra seconds in the heat of battle. Is it really that big of a deal? I don’t think he had some kind of malicious intent. Just think he was in the heat of the moment and really wanting the finish. Don’t really think any suspension from work is justified in this case. That’s just my opinion though. Maybe I’m wrong……it happens once in a blue moon! LOL

• blue says:

What were the chances the UFC was going to schedule Palhares to fight again in the next 90 days anyway?

• it wasn’t that intense in there. dude was tapping no doubt. Palhares couldn’t mistake those for hits and then when the ref came over he would let go right away. What could Palhares have been thinking about. He needs to sit out without a paycheck for a while and think about it.