$260,000 in bonus money handed out at UFC 111

UFC welterweight Georges St. Pierre may have successfully defended his championship for the fourth consecutive time and come one step closer to cleaning out his division at UFC 111, but it could easily be argued the evening’s biggest winner was in fact Shane Carwin. Along with keeping his perfect professional recording intact, as well as his incredible streak of first-round finishes, the full time engineer earned a shot at heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar’s title by soundly beating Frank Mir and becoming interim champion in the process. For his efforts Carwin was also awarded “Knockout of the Night” and an additional $65,000 for the honor. The news was announced at the post-fight press conference and reported by MMAJunkie.

Also taking home an extra sixty-five thousand dollars for his performance at the event was New Jersey native Kurt Pellegrino. Pellegrino’s rear-naked choke of opponent Fabricio Camoes was named ”Submission of the Night”, while ”Fight of the Night” and the spoils coming along with said distinction went to light heavyweights Jared Hamman and Rodney Wallace for their exciting three-round clash.

• Dufresne says:

While I think Palhares’s heel hook was more impressive technically, I 100% agree with them not giving him Sub of the Night. I don’t care if you want to chalk it up to adrenaline, big show enthusiasm or whatever, he could have ended another fighter’s career with that move and his opponent was quite obviously tapping Palhares himself. He can’t even claim that he didn’t know Drwal was submitting. That was classless and completely unsportsmanlike. Hell, the ref had to tug on him more than once to get him to let go. I wouldn’t at all be surprised if he’s suspended by the UFC on top of his athletic commission suspension.

• fanoftna33 says:

Well said Dufrense, Also did anybody else have some audio problems, as my picture was about three words behind the sound most of the night.

• hindsightufuk says:

audio was fine from where i was

• trunk says:

I have to disagree Palhares didnt do anything wrong. He wasnt looking up to see what was happening and once he looks and saw the ref breaking them up he instantly go. Classless and completely unsportsmanlike i dont think so. Babalu was when he choked out that guy. And then Joe Rogan counting on the replay when it was in slow motion that was stupid. If you watch it live and dont listenn to what Joe Rogan says he clearly did nothing wrong imo.

• qat says:

trunk:
    I have to disagree Palhares didnt do anything wrong. He wasnt looking up to see what was happening and once he looks and saw the ref breaking them up he instantly go.Classless and completely unsportsmanlike i dont think so. Babalu was when he choked out that guy. And then Joe Rogan counting on the replay when it was in slow motion that was stupid. If you watch it live and dont listenn to what Joe Rogan says he clearly did nothing wrong imo.

somehow thats like saying its not your fault if you point a weapon at somebody, he surrenders, but you shoot him anyway because you were looking in another direction.
    i mean, in war that can happen, full of adrenaline and stuff, and i know they dont go into that cage to cuddle, but it is still his fault.

“with great power comes great responsibility” 😉

• Niv says:

I’m not completely sure that Palhares was being malicious, but it did appear he may have held that submission a little longer than he should have, the submission itself was unbelievable.

The Pellegrino vs Camoes fight was great and the finish was outstanding. The Fitch fight should have never happened Saunders is nowhere his league and it showed.

Last but not least Carwin proved me wrong. I have stated time and time again that Carwin is over hyped because of his size, I personally thought Mir was going to grind him and submit him. Well so much for my theory, I have to say that after what I saw last night I definitely think Carwin has the horsepower to stop a big guy like Brock.

I hope he ko’s Brock as I think Carwin is a likable guy and would be a much better representative for the HW division.

Future match ups in the HW division are looking good with Dos Santos, Velasquez and Carwin. Aside from them though the HW division is still one of the weaker ones.

• Dufresne says:

Niv: GSP once again proved that Hardy was a gross mismatch to be pitted against him, the only thing that disappointed me about GSP’s performance was that he seemed to be taking easy on Hardy between submission attempts. He didn’t punish him anywhere near what he could have in my opinion.

• ColinL says:

Niv: He didn’t punish him anywhere near what he could have in my opinion.

110% agree. Sometimes fighters have another in a submission and the opponent refuses to tap. Usually the aggressor does back down, but every now and then you see something broken. It’s a dangerous and stupid bet. You don’t want your arm broken when you fight for a living.

But GSP showed that he’ll take the decision win over a submission via injury.

• retrofitting123 says:

pahllarers should be f–kin fired ,i dont care what you say but if it was your acl or mcl ud agree

• moosebaby02 says:

Dufresne: Yeah, that whole fight made me think back to Serra in the all-access show talking about how good Hardy’s ground game was and how he thought Hardy should jump guard. Yeah f-ing right.  (Quote)

Serra is an ass himself and Dan should be slapped for even going to him

Apparently according to other news stories – Palhares has reoccuringly held on a bit to long in the past in Brazil as well… According to those stories his trainer and had a sub victory almost taken from him after the ref missed the tap and reset the fight… So he tries to justify his actions by saying until the ref steps in he doesn’t release the hold…?
    He already got fined and I’m sure he will be dealt with by UFC if the damage to the other fighter is significant… I did believe Palhares pulled off a beautiful submission but it will be smeared by his inability to release the sub quickly.
    Over all there a constantly situations which will call for action by the promotion or the regulators to create new rules or update them… I think everbody just needs to be on the same page and maybe even update some rules and be open to amending rules and regulations as situations pop up and cause for re-evaluating. As the sport grows more eyes will be watching and waiting for a slip up and the big players in this game should already be on there toes to prevent any controversy or questioning of how the sport is regulated.
    The sport, the fighters and the promotions are all evolving at an incredible pace and so should the regulations and the officials( refs, judges, etc…).