Shane Carwin destroys Frank Mir at UFC 111, sets up clash with Brock Lesnar

Keeping his record of first round finishes intact, Shane Carwin sent a direct message to UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar this evening at UFC 111 with a savage knockout over Frank Mir.

Four brutal uppercuts in the clinch following a brief feeling out process had Frank Mir on wobbly legs and on his way out the door. Carwin capitalized on his stunned prey and closed in for the kill, swarming Mir with a volley of punches that left the former UFC heavyweight champion in an unconscious heap midway through the opening round.

The victory this evening for the undefeated Carwin has set up a showdown with Brock Lesnar to crown a true, undisputed UFC heavyweight champion.

Carwin’s impressive win tonight was for an interim title set up in the wake of Lesnar’s recent illness that kept the champion from competing. A title Brock deems “make-believe”.

“It was a good fight, but he’s still wearing a belt that’s a make-believe belt,” said Lesnar following Carwin’s knockout of Mir.

Carwin wasn’t going to argue with Lesnar either, stating,” I couldn’t agree more. That’s why I’m coming after it.”

• nate says:

ive been on the carwin bandwagon for a year plus now. it felt good to witness this tonite. ESPECIALLY since Mir was fresh off a win & carwin had a long layoff & still looked AMAZING.

• KTru says:

with Carwin, Cain, and JDS around, the UFC HW division is just plain SICK

• crane_style says:

Like I said somewhere around here recently, size doesn’t equal strength. I bet Mir was over 280 when he fought. He looked waaaaay bigger than Carwin.

Poor Frank. He’s spent the last year training to beat someone he isn’t going to fight now.

Lesson? Don’t look past your opponent. Anyone else think a lighter, quicker Mir makes it a more interesting fight?

• moosebaby02 says:

CARWIN=$$$$$

• Jstew3785 says:

Carwin looked a lot bigger than he has in any of his UFC fights. I think he looked a lot bigger and bulkier than Mir. His standup looked awesome. Zero ring rust after taking more than a year off. I can’t wait for the Carwin-Lesnar fight. Much more intriguing than a rubber match between Lesnar and Mir.

• kentuckyfightfan says:

• Jstew3785 says:

kentuckyfightfan: How many shots did Carwin land to the back of Mir’s head? Not saying that decided the fight… But sure helped to put Mir away. Illegal shots should never contribute to a win.  (Quote)

You’re absolutely right that illegal shots should neve contribute to a win, but in this case Mir was already unconcious when the shots landed. I was more concerned with the number of shots Carwin landed when Mir obviously was not intelligently defending himself. Dan Miragliotta should never be allowed to ref another MMA fight ever.

• fanoftna33 says:

• Jstew3785 says:

I noticed that too. It was like in the Bones Jones-Hamill fight, that “How many more times do I have to hit this guy before you stop it” look.

• Unabomberman says:

Jstew3785:

I don’t know if EVER, but he should definitely be fined. Bad. It’s ridiculous.

Mir took at least THREE shots while he was completely out. That shit can’t stand. Herb Dean, and He Whole Should Not Be Named in the UFC that now does gigs in Strikeforce, are perfect examples on how to conduct oneself out there.

• bigbadjohn says:

Lesnar wont be pushed up against the cage like that. one round on his back and Carwin will be huffing and puffing. 2nd maybe 3rd round TKO for Lesnar coming!

• Lethal Liquid says:

I know Clash of the Titans comes out in two weeks but the real clash will be this summer. I said it before I believe Carwin will be wearing that belt. By the way Brock didn’t look right at all when he got into the Octagon.

• xtreme_machine says:

Shane his going to KTFO Brock

as simple as that

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

• sensiman says:

Im so happy for carwin, now he gets a chance to take the belt from lesnar. I think carwin is a true champion who deserves to wear the belt. Lesnar vs Carwin……..I cant wait!!!!!

• OUS says:

Whats next for Mir?? I hated to see him lose last night but Im not sure who he can fight now? Cain shouldnt have to fight him…Maybe JDS??

• moosebaby02 says:

i love wakeing up to a hang over and extra money in my pocket.
    Bring on Brock, Cain, and JDS it wont matter Carwin cant be stopped

• MickeyC says:

mirs only chance at lesnar now, is if carwin kills brock . then mir may have a chance at another remath. if carwin wins he’ll be busy with do santos & cain.

• Lethal Liquid says:

I love this division. Right now you have 4 guys who can legitimately hold the belt( Cain, Dos Santos, Carwin, Lesnar. Even Mir under the right circumstances. Quite comparable to the light heavyweight division.

• qat says:

it really looked like mir thought the fight had not even started yet.. not that it takes anything away from that big win for carwin, but what was mir thinking? standing there and taking shots from a truck? maybe he really looked past carwin, he did not even tried to get in his head with trash-talk.

but i think its the best thing that could have happened, a decisive victory for carwin makes the lesnar-carwin fight so intriguing, and hypes up the hw-division even more.
    as for mir-lesnar 3.. im sure it will still happen sometimes in the future.

• JabCrossHook says:

Mad_Hatter_XX: Carwin had a nice showing but, I’m still not 100% sold on him. He did almost the exact thing to MIr that Lesnar did to him.Put him up against the cage, drop him with strikes and GnP for the win. Yes Carwin did it in a slightly more impressive fasion but, I felt that Lesnar really wanted to hurt Mir and took extra time to punish him.I don’t think the extra muscle Mir put on really helped him. Until recently he was fighting in the 230-240 range if I recall and his body isn’t used to all that extra muscle. Carwin and Lesnar are naturally big guys that always carry around alot of muscle. Mir tried to bulk up to bang with the big boys and got dropped.Either way I think Carwin/Lesnar is gonna be a war-Standing I give slight edge to Carwin and on the ground I give slight edge to Lesnar-can’t wait for it!

Uh are you shot? Lesnar took Mir down and it took him 2 rounds to finish him with those GnP shots. Carin pushed Mir against the cage and used dirty boxing to put him down and then finish off with the GnP. Carwin probably could’ve taken down Mir at will but he chose to pin him and finish him with dirty boxing to not worry about his submissions. Two totally different strategies. Brock didn’t want to stand, because Brock was getting caught pretty good by Mir when they were standing up.

• bigbadjohn says:

• cocoonofhorror says:

Dan Mirgliotta is going to get someone killed sooner or later.

• Rich S. says:

Sheesh, Mir..
    Why is he so damn inconsistent?
    Nothing against Carwin, he looked alot better than I thought he would, but Mir had such potential to win the fight, but when he got in there, he was slow.. Always a step behind Carwin.. And of course, there’s the whole thing he does where he just takes shots the face instead of blocking, because he thinks it makes him tougher or something.. That drives me crazy.. Up your defense Mir or you’re going to get dropped fight after fight..

He’ll probably destroy his next opponent..
    But, he’s a completely different fighter when it counts..

• Screenplaya says:

Carwin will KO Brock. Mir hurt Brock before making the mistake of the flying knee attempt. When Carwin hits Brock, he will be OUT, not hurt.

Also, I think Mir has to learn that he can’t take shots from big monsters. No amount of weightlifting makes your brain immune to scrambling. I believe Mir has all the tools to compete with Carwin and Lesnar, but he needs to get his strategy right.

I think Carwin is the man in this division, though. Also looking forward to Junior Dos Santos versus Cain Velasquez. The UFC HW division is da bomb!

• Ian says:

fanoftna33: agree completly Jstew, I know Dan was trying to give Mir a chance but the guy was out and Carwin even looked up at him at one point. Terrible job.  (Quote)

herb dean should be doing every title fight. Who are these other clowns? Although I do love ol blood and guts Yves lavigne

• moosebaby02 says:

from the looks of things this was lucky win for Carwin. well by the view of all the mir nut huggers.
    the ass clown had allot of talk and couldnt back it up like most big mouths. whats so hard to understand???? Is it so hard to believe that mir has a suspect chin like vera proved?? Who by the way sucks
    Does Carwin suck so much that him being almost a mirror of Brock just a bit smaller had no chance against a man (mir) who shown that he cant handle a bigger stronger wrestler????
    The best part is that like JabCrossHook said Carwin could have easily have taken mir down but choose not to and just knock him the F out. He wasn’t scared of mirs “great stand up” or ” improved stand up” and proved it.

I guess it was just a bad showing for mir

• danw84 says:

bigbadjohn: I know this is an “I heart Carwin” article post right now but didn’t anyone notice how Lesnar dwarfed Shane when he walked in the octagon. Both by girth and height. Carwin is a man with a lot of muscle, Brocks a different animal all together. But we haven’t seen Brocks stand-up a whole lot and obviously Shanes is tried and true. I’m still taking Brock but it will be a real Clash of the Titans as Lethal Liquid pointed out

Yeah, it probably didn’t have much to do with the fact that Carwin had weighed in at 265lbs 24 hours prior and Brock hasn’t been in a camp in over a year, nor that Carwin was wearing a t-shirt while Lesnar was wearing a suit that adds thickness.

Lesnar is ONE inch taller. When they weigh in together I would be surprised if they didn’t look nearly the exact same size.

• melra says:

Mir should’ve left all the weight he put on back at the gym. He was much slower this go round. No amount of extra weight is going to help u when a sledge hammer hits u n the face. If u ain’t got a chin man, u ain’t got a chin.

• bigbadjohn says:

i think we can assume that when lesnar lost 40 lbs due to his intestine issues that he got smaller, not bigger… you follow? sure carwin was 265 the day before but not for the Mir fight. take another look from saturday night, Lesnar is the much bigger man. its the frame of Brock not just the thickness

I’ll eat crow on my Mir band wagon… I was terribly wrong in my pick for Frank to beat Carwin…

Just looked like Frank showed up like the win was just going to happen… I know he’s not big on game plans but damn Mir you gotta try and do something it’s a Interim title match dammit…

Any way- Brock looked like a mack truck compared to Carwin… that match will be crazy, even with Carwins hand skills I just can’t get over the size difference with Brock- He looked alot taller and alot wider and I just see Brock taking this to the ground and smothering Carwin enough for a decision…

• cdrg says:

I was one of those many people that said that Brock did not deserve to be the champ. but if he beats Carwin i will converted into one of the biggest Lesnar fan ever. and for some strange reason a pulling for Lesnar even thoe Carwin is a likable guy.aw man what am i saying?! i think the conversion proses is beginning!

• slammy862 says:

look for mir to “buster douglas” after learning he has no place among the top tier heavyweights.

I feel kind of bad for the dude. No vengeance, no nothing. This is where food and alcohol step in to fill the void.