Scott Coker: Fedor is scheduled to fight in June

It’s official, Fedor Emelianenko will be making his much anticipated return to mixed martial arts in June.

The news of Fedor’s return comes courtesy of Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, who relayed the information to the press following DREAM 13.

“M-1 Global and Strikeforce entered into a three fight contract exclusive for Fedor to fight in a co-promotion between Strikeforce and M-1 Global, and as you know we did the first fight on Nov 7 in Chicago,” said Coker.

“Fedor is now scheduled to fight in June towards the end of the month in America against Fabricio Werdum.”

Fedor last saw action in November of 2009 during “Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers”, where he layed Brett Rogers out with a huge right hand in the second round, while Werdum last bested Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva via unanimous decision during the same event.

It had been previously rumored that a fight between Emelianenko and Hidehiko Yoshida may have been brewing, but Coker doesn’t give that talk very much weight.

“I’ve heard the rumors as well, and as I know more I will let the media know in American, and let the media know here, but I believe that’s just a rumor,” said Coker.

• fanoftna33 says:

Coker has heard the rumor and will let us know, but he believes its just a rumor. Damm he is promoting this fight he should call up Vadim right now and make sure Fedor is going to be here and fight Werdum.

• qat says:

ehm.. what? he believes? shouldn’t he know? seriously?

well at least we get to see fedor again. while i really hoped he would get get the chance to fight overeem. maybe later.

• blue says:

• inkythewinky says:

if i was in coker’s position i would say: m-1, you pay fedor, u want half my money for an event that he fights in? then pay half the venue fee and half of all my fighters wages as well.. or we can do a m-1 vs strikeforce card where all my dudes fight your dudes and we pay our own fighters only, i will never understand how m-1 has weasled thier way into all this… i think if coker didnt sign fedor, fedor might wise up because he would be fighting hong man choi’s in japan doing sambo on the side, wtf

Top Notch… Professional…Innovative…Strategic…Focused…

None of these words describe SF or it’s executives.

I’m not a hater- I just can’t stand the fact that with all the growth and expansion in this sport this is what we have to accept as the #2 promotion?? I think we deserve better than SF.

• I’m done holding my breath.

When Fedor fights, I’ll watch. Until then, I can’t be bothered.

• fanoftna33 says:

blue: I guess Matt Lindland already has a commitment because I would love to have seen Fedor-Lindland II!

Thats funny Blue.

• Guthookd says:

It would be so great if Fedor lost this fight just before his contract expires.

• mu_shin says:

It’s all been said too many times, by all of us, but how long are we going to have to wait to see Emelianenko in a competitive match with an opponent that can give him some trouble? Werdum is legit, but hardly on a par with the highest caliber heavyweights available, we all know where…

Still, as mentioned above, we’ll get to see Fedor fight, and I know I’ll watch it. It just continues to confound, why the best can’t seem to surmount all the business matters and fight the best…

• Vogairian says:

At this point I don’t even care about Fedor anymore. In the five years I’ve been watching and about the 3-4 years that I’ve actually known who Fedor was, he’s fought one fight that I cared about (Arlovski). It’s starting to feel like being undefeated is more important to his handlers than him actually fighting great fights. Not that I can blame them for that, but at some point the “best fighter in the world” needs to act like it.

If in 6 months Fedor is in the same spot in his career as he currently is, then I would seriously expect the MMA community to take the crown off his head and start really looking at what this guy is CURRENTLY worth to the sport. Can’t take nothing away from what he has already accomplished but at some point you have to say what has he done lately to warrant the attention?

Alot of times you hear that your only as good as your last fight… yea he won his last fight but he beat a guy whom had ONE BIG win against AA… whom else did rogers fight? Josh Thompson?(HAHA) Don’t get me wrong Rogers is decent but he wasn’t supposed to be in the ring that night and regardless of what Werdum has done lately he is still a pretty shitty opponent for MR. P4P and god’s gift to MMA. I’m not blaming Fedor for all of this, theres many hands in that pot… especially Coker and M-1 whom don’t know what to do next… should we do whats best for M-1 , Best for SF or Best for Fedor… hmmm let’s try and take some time and think about this while.

I’m NOT a fan of Fedor but I respected his skills and his accomplishments but as of late- not so much.

• Kuch says:

I wonder if Fedor pulls M-1’s strings or if they pull his? I would love to know what type of deal Scott Coker was pressured into accepting in order to get Fedor to fight for him. I’m guessing Coker’s first born son must be named Fedor or something.

• deeznutz says:

So M-1 and SF have a three fight agreement for Fedor. Why the hell isn’t he fighting for the belt? Lets say he beats Werdum in June, fights for the belt and wins 6 months or so later, and then his contract is up. In a bizarre twist of things DW pulls a rabbitt out of his ass and signs SF’s new reigning HW champ to a multi-fight deal with the UFC. Where the hell does this leave SF? SF better pull their shit together or they’ll go belly up like every other side show.

• slammy862 says:

They’d better keep dancing out on the fringe with guys like Werdum because the hwt division is getting bad-assed, jack.

Not just ufc, but bellatore has some boys comin’ up as well, expecially conrad.

Noose is tightening around you mr. fedor. Maybe 1 more exhibition match will make me believe in you again….lol.

Come out an play, red devil.

• twyg says:

Fedor to me has become the most devicive(?) topic in this sport. Is he doing M-1s bidding or are they taking orders from a part owner? Will we ever see him fight a top tier HW in the near future? When is his next fight and against whom? The only solace I get is remebering that at some point he will retire and then we the MMA fans will be able to look back and judge his career. Every conversation about him is about what he should do or hasn’t done. I am at a loss for words what is there to say. He is an amazing fighter who has done some remarkable things, yet there is only a few guys I want to see him fight and it will never happen. I love this guy and hate every decision he has made in the last few years. His legacy as the best ever is under heavy fire and he seems not to care. What else is there for him but his legacy? Money, but he can make a ton of that. Ten years from now will we say that he was the best HW ever or will there be more questions unanwsered? Sad thing is it will probably both.

• sexy-yama says:

If by a miracle werbum beats Fedor does that mean Cigano > Fedor lol,I’m pissed off with SF come on He is the F*ckin no1 HW Give have him fight your champ in Ubereem, and Ubereem vs Rogers better not be for the belt sh!t doesnt make sense

• blue says:

fanoftna33: Thats funny Blue.  (Quote)

I guess not everyone saw the humor in that statement.

• fanoftna33 says:

I just wish I had thought of that.