Anderson Silva plans on move to heavyweight

With the amount of success that current UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has obtained outside of his “comfort zone” and natural fighting weight in the light heavyweight division, an eventual climb to the heavyweight ranks would appear to be the next step in the evolution of the career of one of the greatest mixed martial artists to step foot inside of the octagon.

As Silva prepares for the latest challenge to his UFC 185 pound crown – a UFC 112 showdown with submission ace, Demian Maia – the dominant title holder spoke on the possibility of a move up to the heavyweight division during a recent UFC conference call held to promote the UFC 112 bout in Abu Dhabi.

“My goal is still to put on as many great fights in the UFC, as many victories as I can throughout the three divisions – middleweight, light heavyweight and possibly heavyweight,” said Silva. “Heavyweight is definitely something I have in mind. It’s in my plans. I’ve been adapting my training and ever-changing to take on that challenge.”

And while a move to heavyweight at some point down the road seems to be a formality at this point, Silva expressed that he is far from done handling his business at middleweight for the time being.

“I’m actually far from cleaning out my division,” said Silva. “I feel like there may be guys that are even better than me coming into the UFC. Proof that there’s tough guys in the division is Demian Maia right now… (the fight’s) going to be a big challenge for me.”

• fanoftna33 says:

I would be interested in almost any HW fight with Anderson in it, But I feel he would have the best fights at LHW, where he would be a great match up for so many fighters. At HW we would see guys constantly taking him down and more often than not trying to grind out decisions- whereas at LHW he would still be one of the bigger guys and fighters would be unable to manhandle him.

• blue says:

[quote]

Anderson Silva: “I’m actually far from cleaning out my division,” said Silva..  (Quote)

Apparently Anderson Silva’s defintion of ‘cleaning out the division’ does not simply mean beating all the contenders. Perhaps his definition is far more destructive, such as physically maiming all middleweights until he is the only official middle weight left in the division.

I see him at LHW not HW though…

• Vogairian says:

It would be interesting, but I think that he should probably stick to LHW. There are a good 4-5 interesting fights left for him there not even counting a Machida match.

• Angry Mike says:

Yeah, punching out guys at 185 and 205 is one thing, but standing with guys as big as Lesnar and Carwin and even Mir is something else entirely. Even if he could get his weight up as high as 230-240 (225’s too light to be competitive these days, imo), would he have any speed? I don’t see this happening.

• 27jride says:

Let me first say that I am NOT a Lesnar fan so to speak; I don’t have a problem with the guy either but I USUALLY root against him depending on his opponent. That being said, I’d give my left nut to see Silva get in the cage with Brock and have his ass handed to him! I really can’t fathom any way he could win that fight, I don’t care how much weight he puts on.

• slammy862 says:

Greatest match up ever would be Silva v Fedor. That would be mind-blowing.

I also so Mr. Jon Jones as an upcoming attraction in the future for Silva.

There is a ton of great mma possibilities these days. Beats the old days of having 3-4 guys fighting each other over and over again.

Things are gettin’ good!

• Rich S. says:

I guess I would be all for a couple fights at HW, but I would like a few more at LHW first.. There are some great matchups for him at HW but those guys are getting bigger and bigger, I’m not sure how he’d fair in the power aspect.. It may just take a Heavyweight with a good chin and cardio to ragdoll him around..

• retrofitting123 says:

i already feel like he could beat everyone at lhw so id love to see him at hw.Maybe machida,but they agreed never to fight

• bigbadjohn says:

Lesnar, Mir, Carwin, Cain, any of those 4 would be the hardest fight of Andersons caree. Is his self belief so high that he would get in the cage with a 250 lb+ beast grappler? I dont know. But his losses have come by submission so maybe he feels comfortable with the Heavys because they dont pose a huge submission threat? Kinda think he might get squashed tho

• doonerthesooner says:

• doonerthesooner says:

Also Silva is too fast for most middleweights to touch him, he wouldn’t have too much trouble avoiding the big boys, at least as far as the standup goes

• bigbadjohn says:

His long lean arms sure are fast but his speed would take a hit if he packed on some weight for the jump. How about Kongo and Silva? thats one he could win

• retrofitting123 says:

doonerthesooner: Anderson is the best striker in MMA so I wouldn’t rule him out against anybody especially if the fight stays standing. Still though if Brock or Cain want to take him down I don’t think they will have too much trouble. And I’m not saying he would but he definitely could beat Fedor. A Cro Cop or an Yvel would be awesome. I’d even take him over Junior Dos Santos.  (Quote)

i agree on most but im pretty sure dos santos could handle silva in quick fashion. hes ripped 240 and has deadly hands himself

• crane_style says:

I wonder how much of this has to do with wanting to avoid fighting Lyoto?

If a wrestler like Dan Henderson can give Silva problems, man-beasts like Lesnar, Mir and Carwin would probably give him bigger problems.

LHW seems the obvious fit. If Machida loses the belt, I think Anderson will be much more interested in going to 205.

• xtreme_machine says:

First beat Vitor Belfort

Then I will if u can beat the heavyweights

• redness says:

• retrofitting123 says:

redness: sounds a little cocky in my option I mean whats he truely trying to say thats hes the best ever and could beat anyone in any weight class. On other hand who could catch him thats a HW. Maybe Randy would be a good fight he is a master game planner,  (Quote)

he just wants to be in a situation where he could lose if he makes a mistake,hes not saying he could beat anyone on the planet.
    im pretty sure he knows lesnar would make him into a pretzel

• mu_shin says:

I don’t know the veracity of the sources, but I’ve read people saying that Anderson walks around at up to 215, even 220, so of all the heavyweight fights out there, Fedor is certainly not outside the realm of possibility, fighting as he does around 230. Technically, Silva/Emelianenko would be brilliant, and I know I’d pay to see that one.

Have to question whether Silva would maintain all the things that make him so extraordinary at middleweight if he came in to the ring plus forty or fifty pounds. We know he can do it at 205, and should Machida lose the belt, which I don’t think will happen, but if it did, we could see some great matches with Silva at LHW, maybe even a championship.

Historically, there are tales of great lighter fighters, like the legend of Helio Gracie, giving bigger heavier fighters a tough go, but those were different times, with different rules of engagement. With the new paradigm of Lesnar, Carwin, and now a bigger stronger Frank Mir, I have to question whether Andserson Silva could pump up that much and still be competitive.

• twyg says:

First I think we all agree that if Machida loses the strap anytime soon Silva will work toward a title shot at LHW, and I think he would get it as soon as he wants. Now at HW A Dos Santos fight I believe is out of the question because they are managed by the same guy and both train with Nog. I could see he fighting Struve or Yvel for his first fight. Maybe he gets a fight against Cain later on, and that is a very interesting fight. I don’t mean to dispairge Cain; he is great, but he is a bit smaller then the other current big name heavys in the UFC. As for Randy, Andersen wins that fight no doubt. The other heavys though are just to big. He is otherworldly standing up, and his ground game is underrated, but how does he plan on getting a guy like Brock off of him. A Fedor fight is a wet dream, and will never happen. Besides we all know the champ will fight Fedor first. I think he just wants to test himself, and maybe I am wrong he can carry his power and speed up ala Manny Pacquiao.

• moosebaby02 says:

just say you dont want to fight your friend instead of making comments that you really dont believe

• JabCrossHook says:

xtreme_machine: First beat Vitor Belfort
    Then I will if u can beat the heavyweightsBy the way i know he is facing Mia and sonnen but I know he will beat them both.

Exactly, can’t put it better myself. Vitor is Anderson’s biggest threat to the MW title.

• tseka23 says:

Enough with this propaganda bullsh-t Anderson. You want to prove how great you are? fighting Damian Maia won’t prove thing. Be a man, move to the LHW division and start by fighting the cream of the crop there NOT the cream of the crap at middleweight.

James Irvin and Forrest Griffin hardly impressed me…go fight the winner of Rampage and Rashad or even Thiago Silva…then I’ll be impressed if you destroy them…

• tseka23 says:

Another attempt by the UFC to claim that they have the best P4P fighter in the world when we all clearly know there is only one Fedor.
    Let’s see, at this rate, between sidelining injuries, refusal to fight teammates, and basically fighting once or twice per year…Silva will retire claiming he was the best and so will the UFC having never fought anyone.

He beat James Irvin, Forrest Griffin..that’s his legacy at LHW?
    Except for Dan Henderson, Silva has not fought any other superstar.
    According to that scenario, Forrest Griffin should retire and claim he has a greater resume than Silva.