Trio of fighters earn “Knockout of the Night” at “UFC on Versus”

”UFC on Versus” will always be remembered as a significant event in that it was the company’s first card on the cable network typically known as home to World Extreme Cagefighting. As such, perhaps it was fate the show’s bonus announcements would stay in line with the history-making trend, and indeed they did as not only were three ”Knockout of the Night” checks written but no ”Fight of the Night honors were doled out. The news was announced at the post-event press conference and reported by MMAJunkie.

Blue-chip youngsters Junior Dos Santos, Jon Jones, and John Howard all earned an additional $50,000 on top of their contracted salaries for their impressive strike-induced finishes, while fan-favorite Clay Guida netted an extra fifty thousand dollars for ”Submission of the Night” after finishing Shannon Gugerty with an arm triangle in the second stanza of their bout. The win snapped a two-fight losing streak for Guida and was his first by submission since UFC 64 in October 2006.

I agree with the no fight of the night bonus because it’s only been a few hours and I have already forgotten half the cards fights… I think the viewership was there but the action and pace was lacking

• ctownhood says:

The fights were pretty good IMO (aside from the weird stops with Irvin and Buentello). The pace was a little crappy, too many ads I thought.

• Guthookd says:

Jones didn’t deserve KO of the night. Vera wasn’t even out.

• fanoftna33 says:

Guthookd: Jones didn’t deserve KO of the night.Vera wasn’t even out.

Jones got it for the TKO, a pretty decent night although I was wrong on every fight i picked I was happy for JDS as I wanted him to win but thought Gonzaga might do something silly like use his BJJ.

• Angry Mike says:

Blame it on the gin, or the fact that I can finally watch Versus on DirectTV again, but I thought the fights were very entertaining. Dos Santos and Jones are two very talented young fighters, and it’s clear after last night that they’ll contend for titles in the near future. Kongo as a grappler? How could that not be entertaining? If he can continue to develop those skills, he’ll be a threat to a lot of other fighters in the weight classs. I wish all of the fights would’ve been televised.

• Vogairian says:

Guthookd: Jones didn’t deserve KO of the night.Vera wasn’t even out.

• bigbadjohn says:

The fights were okay. Its the potential they had for devastating finishes that left me feeling disappointed. Soooooo many referee stoppages and advertisement breaks with like 4 commercials on repeat (atleast out here on the west coast). It was free though. That was nice

• bmwiest says:

I dont know if I should be more impressed that Vera didn’t get knocked out! I have seen other fighters get hit with less and go down. That was a vicious elbow that i believe would have knocked most fighters out!
    I must be in the saem category as Angry Mike because I thought the card was good considering someof the ones we have seen lately but I am also very happy Versus is back on DirectTV.

• Guthookd says:

Vogairian: To me hitting a fighter so hard that he covers up and loses the will to fight is more impressive than hitting a guy and knocking him unconscious.  (Quote)

Be that as it may, unless he is unconscious he is not knocked out….which logic would dictate as the number one qualifying factor for KNOCK OUT OF THE NIGHT.

• Vogairian says:

Guthookd:

Because it’s considered a TKO, that stands for Technical Knockout. Seems like it logically qualifies to me.

• Guthookd says:

^ We’ll have to agree to disagree then. I personally believe that knock out of the night should be reserved for Hendo to Bisbing or Gonzo to CC type KO’s and should never be handed out for a TKO.