Jon Jones fractures Brandon Vera’s face with fight ending elbow

Brandon Vera appeared to know something was wrong after a left elbow from Jon Jones was sent crashing into his face in the first round of the pair’s “UFC on Versus” meeting, forcing the bout’s conclusion; and he was right.

Vera has suffered three fractures in his right cheekbone according to the injured fighter’s manager, Matt Stansell, who relayed the information to MMAJunkie.com.

Vera is currently set to visit a face specialist later this week according to Stansell. Vera’s camp will have a better grasp of what the recovery process will include, as well as a likely time table for his return at that time.

The defeat to Jones was the second in a row for Vera, who lost a hard fought decision to Randy Couture in his previous outing.

• fanoftna33 says:

I know what this win does for Jones what I am wondering is what it does to Randys title shot hope. I mean it took everything plus a lucky decision from Couture to beat Vera and the this rookie just whips his ass without Vera even landing 1 punch.

• Dufresne says:

That was a nasty looking elbow from a pretty powerful guy. Like him or not, Vera is a pretty tough guy, so you could tell he was hurt when he immediately rolled away and turtled up. It looked like his eyes were working fine at the end of it all, so hopefully there was nothing permanent damaged.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

Yeah, no surprise there after the way Vera reacted to it. That was a shot, Jones is for real. I’d love to see him and Anderson Silva go at it at light heavyweight with the winner getting a shot against the winner of Machida/Shogun 2. You know that would sell. If Silva wins, he gets a chance to hold two belts at once, if Jones wins, he would have beaten Silva and definitely earns a title shot. I wish I was a matchmaker. I say get this together and I don’t like the arguement that the UFC has too much to lose with that. They are in the business of getting the best to fight eachother, period. Jones/Silva would be nuts!

• danw84 says:

I don’t think that’s likely at all, and Silva has said he doesn’t want to fight Machida anyway.

• Makington says:

Very true danw84. Silva gets pissed at you if you sign to fight him if you even met the guy once. He has been very rude towards Belfort like they were best friends and Belfort wanted the belt just so rub it in Silva’s face. Or when he went off on Robert Drysdale (BJJ coach) because he was training Forrest for his fight with Anderson at UFC 101. Even though Drysdale and Silva weren’t friends, Drysdale had expressed interest in training together at some point previously and that became too much when Drysdale trained Forrest instead. I don’t think there’s any amount in the world that would make Silva and Machida fight, although I would literally crap myself if they agreed.

But I think we’ll be seeing Jones/Machida, or Jones/Shogun sooner than we think the way he handled himself last night 😉

• xtreme_machine says:

Jon Jones vs winner of Forest/ Lil Nog

or

the loser of Rampage/ Rashad

then he gets the shot after the winner of Rampage/Rashad vs Machida/Shogun

• inkythewinky says:

i would almost bet it will be jardine vs jones

• Lethal Liquid says:

I try not to get overly dramatic with the posts. DUDE BROKE BRANDON VERA’S MOTHERFUCKING FACE!!! This cat is a 22 year old version of Anderson Silva with better wrestling. We are seeing one of the greats mature right before our eyes. Sit back and enjoy

• bigbadjohn says:

inky. no way in hell they feed jardine to bones. after all jardines taken from the divisions best, the boys at UFC wont send him on a suicide mission. they will want to give him a win. …maybe Jardine and Vera? but i cant think of a good matchup for jones right now, bader possibly? or just a loser from machida shogun or rampage rashad

• inkythewinky says:

what about tiago silva? that would be hot, i figured jardine cause alot of times they like to slowly move dudes up the food chain like i could see krystof or bader, getting a shot at jones, even tho i think we would all like to see him fighting higher level dudes i dont think they will move him up that fast

• hindsightufuk says:

i hope the ufc don’t get Jones a shot too soon, i mean i havent been this ecited about a fighter since Gegard was doing the european shows, but i want to see him fight some top tier guys first.
    i’d actually like to see him fight ryan bader, just to show up another over rated lhw fighter.
    tho having him fight the winner of nog/griffin (it will be nog) makes more sense.
    fights against Cane or Thiago would be fun

• blue says:

Jon Jones is today what Machida was two years ago; an up-and-coming star. The man has all the tools and he is puttng them together nicely.

Let’s take a look at the top of the LHW ladder:

May 8th is Machida-Rua
    May 29 is Rampage -Evans

So we are looking at a September-ish card matching up the Machida-Rua winner against the Rampage-Evans winner. Ideally, it would be great for Jones to fight on th September-ish card for in a ‘#1 contender fight’, and that is the fast track to the top.

Can Jones sneak in a fight before September? I think so, but I doubt the UFC will do it. This is just my opinion but I would not be surprised to see a Jones-vs-Griffin on that September card as a co-main event; the main event being a LHW Championship match.

• mabus says:

Tough break for Vera. I think he’s too much of a nice guy for hungry cats.

Personally, that fight really made me question the rules. I think the up-kick needs to be reinstated. That’s a necessary defense from your back and keeps the bully more cautious of just sitting there and dropping bombs. It’s a dynamic that needs to be there. I think I’d break the rules and get a DQ before letting a guy break my orbital bones.

Jones striking is intense… I really thought we were going to see a battle on sunday night but it seems as if this guy will be a tought fight for anybody… what’s crazy is that he is so young he’s only going to get better and better- hope he keeps his head about him and doesn’t believe the hype and just does his thing.

• Jak says:

xtreme_machine: the loser of Rampage/ Rashad

I could be wrong, but i think Jones has an affiliation with team Jackson meaning he quite likely wouldn’t fight Rashad Evans.

• danw84 says:

Is it for certain that the winner of Rampage/Evans gets the next LHW shot? I was thinking they seem to be trying to get Couture to it.

I think a few of these scenarious you guys have pointed out are likely, especially someone from the Forrest/Nog fight. I think it would be awesome.

Anyway like the rest of you, I think Jones is the next big thing at LHW and I can’t wait for his next fight, whoever it’s against.

• TSU21 says:

No Jardine nor Evans will fight jones bc on mmalive on espn a email asked rashad(bc he doesnt hte show sometimes) would he or jardine ever fight Jones since he trains with them now and Evans response was no that once you join team jackson their is a brotherhood there and we dont fight our brothers so doubt we would see either of those too fight jones…I would to see them go back to franklin vs chuck and randy fighting jones…interesting to see if jones could throw randy around…even though vera did a couple of times

• Makington says:

bigbadjohn: maybe Jardine and Vera?but i cant think of a good matchup for jones right now, bader possibly? or just a loser from machida shogun or rampage rashad

That would be a rematch that noone is really pulling for. It is one of Jardine’s few wins, but it wasn’t a match anyone is really gunning to see twice. Close fight though. I remember while they were standing waiting for the judges announcement they looked at each other and just kind of shrugged, cause neither had any idea who won.

• hindsightufuk says:

Jak:

fuck dont say that, i’m sick of these fucking Greg Jackson cats too busy pulling each others willys to fight each other

• redness says:

you know its funny thats why Diego left Jackson after they started up with GSp

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

I’m sorry if you think it is too quick but Jones/Silva would be sick and ya’ll are always bitchin’ that Silva has no one else at middleweight/has kicked ass at LHW, why does that not make sense, as if Silva Irvin was better. Kiss my left swingin’ son, I’m right.