“Bones” Jones stops Vera early, Dos Santos flattens Gonzaga during “UFC on Versus”

A heavy left elbow from Jon Jones was all it took to convince Brandon Vera that he had absorbed enough punishment for the evening.

Jones seemed to be able to take Vera down at will, and it was while in the top position that “Bones” found a home for the strike that forced the bout’s conclusion in the first round.

“UFC on Versus” took place from the 1stBank Center in Broomfield, Colorado, while airing on the Versus network.

Junior dos Santos turned in what could easily be considered the most impressive performance of his fast rising career, as the Black House trained fighter dropped fellow Brazilian Gabriel Gonzaga with a huge left hook before sealing the deal with strikes from the top position for the knockout victory.

Cheick Kongo would not allow Paul Buentello to get comfortable at any point during the two and a half rounds the fight between the pair lasted, mixing takedowns with strikes standing to serve up a beating to the “Headhunter” he will not soon forget. In the end it was elbows to the thigh of battered and bruised Buentello that caused the battle tested veteran to tap the canvas in submission in the final round.

Also turning in impressive performances were Clay Guida, who finished off Shannon Gugerty with a second round arm triangle; John Howard, who turned out the lights of Daniel Roberts with vicious ground and pound in the opening round; and TUF 10 finalist Brendan Schaub, who TKO’d Chase Gormley in the first round.

A full set of results from the event are below:

Jason Brilz def. Eric Schafer via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

Mike Pierce def. Julio Paulino via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Brendan Schaub def. Chase Gormley via TKO – Round 1

John Howard def. Daniel Roberts via knockout – Round 1

Darren Elkins def. Duane Ludwig via TKO (ankle injury) – Round 1

Vladimir Matyushenko def. Eliot Marshall via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 30-27)

Clay Guida def. Shannon Gugerty via submission (arm-triangle) – Round 2

Alessio Sakara def. James Irvin via TKO – Round 1

Cheick Kongo def. Paul Buentello via submission (strikes) – Round 3

Junior dos Santos def. Gabriel Gonzaga via knockout – Round 1

Jon Jones def. Brandon Vera via TKO – Round 1

• Dufresne says:

That card was nuts! Not a single decision on the televised part!

Dos Santos is amazing, and all the hype for Bones is verified. When Brandon immediately covered his face and rolled away I knew it was over. That lump and his reaction make me think he’s got a fracture.

• Makington says:

1. KO of the night should be Howard(brutal!). Sub of the night is obviously Guida. Fight of the night should go to me for having to sit through this event. I was more excited for this event than any other too :(

Otherwise give FotN to Howard/Roberts.

2. JDS is ready. Give him someone good PLEASE. One more fight over a top 5 HW and he should get a title shot if he wins.

3. Guida finished a fight! Absurd!

4. We might see Jones getting that title shot sooner than we know. A win over Rampage, Evans, Griffin, or Nogueira would be the last step he needs I think.

• Makington says:

One last one…

5. Not only was Buentello popping his finger back in place the highlight of my night, it is easily so far the highlight of my year. Unfortunately that freakish grit and toughness probably won’t keep him in :(

When I think about it, I don’t think it was exactly the cards fault. I was way too stoked for this card to deliver. Every fight seemed like it would be an absolute stand up brawl. It’s always the cards that you aren’t super stoked for that end up being the best.

• xtreme_machine says:

probably the understatement of the day but i feel it must be said

it official Bone Jones and JDS Have Arrived and were worth all the hype

so next year we should see these two at the top of the mountain holding their well deserved Belts

also Cain Velasquez vs Junior Dos Santos is a MUST!

• edbuzz says:

Xtreme_Machine,

You stole my thunder. I agree 100% that Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos will be the next matchup since Velasquez beat down Dos Santos’ teacher in Minatouro Nogueira.

It’ll be like an old Kung Fu flick.

Dos Santos “You have insulted the Sho Lin Temple and My Master. Now you shall die!”

Cain Velasquez “Well, bring it on beeaaatttcccchhhh!!!!”

I’m so looking foward to this potential matchup.

I can’t wait to see Jon “Bones” Jones fight some top 5 talent in the light heavyweight division. He’s one bad ass Mofucka!

• Rich S. says:

It’s kind of a shame that Mir and Carwin get to go at it for the interim belt when Dos Santos and Velasquez are so ridiculously overqualified for the part..

And who does Bones get to face with Machida, Shogun, Rashad, and Rampage all tied up?

Bader?

There aren’t many steps up in competition available for him right now.. After battering the likes of Bonnar, Hamill, and Vera, he can’t just settle for a fight with Jardine or some other mid tier fighter, IMO.

• I think we all knew that Jones would win this… and almost just like he did. That guy is the next generation of Mixed Martial artist.

I am so excited to see where this sport is going. With Junior Dos Santos Just starting to spread his wings and with some of the other fighters the UFC has and noW with some of the fighters that Strikeforce is obtaining . . . WOW, this is a very exciting time to be a FightFan!

• Rich S. says:

Also what a weird night..

Thank God for Howard and Dos Santos, because James Irvin’s eye injury, Buentello’s pitiful (yet fitting) tap, and Vera’s eye injury, were all depressing and unsatisfying finishes.. Ok, mayyybe not the Kongo one, ’cause that was a brutal three rounds..

Overall they were all good fights, but Buentello/Kongo, Sakara/Irvin, and Vera/Jones ALL had HUGE potential to end with Highlight Reel KO’s..

• bigbadjohn says:

Let down. How many times in 4 fights did we have a referee stop the action? i know the refs were in the right but it really hacked up the fights, stopped any flow or momentum the card had.

• mu_shin says:

Have to say I was mildly impressed with Cheick Kongo on the ground. While Buentello is certainly not a gifted wrestler or ground fighter, I don’t remember ever seeing Kongo navigate successfully on the mat, and it showed some growth potential in his game. Would have to see him in against a credible ground fighter to say he’s arrived at a new plateau, but thought his game plan was good against a heavy handed striker, and it worked for him.

Don’t think there’s any argument that the new generation is arriving. Junior dos Santos’ only concern that I can see is that he’s fighting at less than 240, but he put away a game Gonzaga who came in at 255 with no problem. This kid has some serious hand speed, and obvious power. Agree with above comments, Velasquez/dos Santos should happen as soon as both of them are ready.

Johnny Bones is a true wild card in the light heavies. He went through Vera like nothing, and barely broke a sweat. Whoever they get to orchestrate Jones’ next step up the ladder, I wouldn’t want to be that guy… I think Bones would kill Jardine, and I’m a Dean of Mean fan; I think Jones would beat Thiago Silva, Forrest Griffin, he already handled Matt Hamill. Maybe whoever loses the Rampage/ Evans fight. Jones/Anderson Silva at LHW would be amazing, but I can’t see the powers that be letting that fight happen, too much to lose on both sides.

• Niv says:

I was very impressed with Jones and all the hype is definitely deserved. I think this guy will be at the top of the division besides Shogun and Machida very soon.

As for Junior Dos Santos, I believe he’s going to be the UFC’s HW poster boy very soon. He has excellent all around skills and they need to check this guys mits, cause I think he just may be hiding concrete in them. I’m an unadalterated Fedor nuthugger and I have to say this guy at HW is who I am most excited about as the next top gun in the division.

I can’t wait to see who gets in the ring with Dos Santos next. I personally believe Velasquez would be a huge headliner and I personally would put my money on JDS.

Ofcoarse I enjoy free mma but the card left me a bit wanting more and wishing I just went to sleep… Some good action some disapointments…overall an important night for jones and dos Santos but I expected more from both fights- same result but I guess more action

• Dufresne says:

At the beginning of the night when they reminded me it was being held in Denver, I went “oh, hell.” I’ve been up at altitude before and it makes a significant difference on how your body performs. A lot of people will say to go a week ahead of time and you’ll be okay, but I would say you need at least 10 days. I’m wondering how many of the fighters went early or even trained at altitude ahead of time, because it did seem like a lot of fighters were slower than normal and breathing hard.

• yhknq says:

any pics of vera’s eye yet?

• Unabomberman says:

Darn…when watching Jones last night I felt as if I was watching a young version of Ali, but in MMA. It was weird. Either way, it’s time they set him up against Thiago Silva, Forrest Griffin, or even Minotouro, I think. At least the Silva or Griffin fights seem like he could for sure pull off.

Just imagine if they legallized MMA in NY and took the guy to Madison Square Garden? Man…

But lots of things can happen, so who knows.

• Guthookd says:

It turned out to be a decent card, but I felt a little let down by all the early endings for some reason.

Oah well…the implications are clear and that’s what we watch for I suppose. Go JDS and Bones.

• retrofitting123 says:

bones jones is incredible!!!i knew hed win but wow.he needs a top flight guy next,i simply dont know who.

• 3OAM says:

-Damn, Dos Santos looked really good on his feet. He’s gonna have a long and beautiful career.

-The Cheick Kongo fight was kind of boring. I mean Kongo looked good and all, but zZzZz. Buentello’s jumpy, bouncy stance is retarded, but probably kind of hard to read which is probably why Kongo wanted him down.

-BONES JONES! He’s pretty f’n badass. Like Dos Santos, his career is all sun.

-One thing I noticed just before the Kongo fight, the camera was going through the crowd and this dude was holding his t-shirt, popping an imaginary collar/trying to “rep” his t-shirt…It was Ghostbusters. I LOL’d.

-I also LOL’d when Joe Rogan said, “[so and so]’s getting molested.” I think it was Gonzaga. I’m gonna use that. “…getting molested.”

• Angry Mike says:

That was a let down? WTF? Impressive performances by some of the most exciting new talent in UFC and people are complaining? What more do you want? A pony?

• inkythewinky says:

i have disliked vera ever since he fought tim sylvia, so seeing him feel that pain made me feel good and made my night (is that psycho?)

• 1. I really hope the Brandon Vera bandwagon has finally come off its wheels and is burning to the ground. He hasn’t had a meaningful win since 2006 when he beat an overweight, unmotivated Frank Mir.

2. Jon Jones is for real. I would love to see him fight Luiz Cane or Thiago Silva next.

3. Dos Santos/Velasquez MUST happen. Hell, make it the co-main event for 116 on July 3 with Brock taking on Carwin/Mir as the headliner.

4. Really glad to see Guida, Sakara, and Matyushenko gets wins as they’re all favorites of mine. Although Matyushenko seems to be running out of gas at his age.

5. Really sucks for Ludwig. I love that guy and that ankle break looked (and from what I’ve read, appears to be) serious. I think we might have seen the last of Jim Lampley’s favorite fighter.

• Vogairian says:

Angry Mike: That was a let down?WTF?Impressive performances by some of the most exciting new talent in UFC and people are complaining?What more do you want?A pony?

I’m wondering the same thing. We got to see two of the best young guys in MMA show why they’re so good and we got it for free. No idea how someone could be disappointed.

• Rich S. says:

The only reason it’s a “let down” is because there was great potential for so much more to happen..

It was still an exciting night of fights, regardless..

• nope says:

Rich S. nailed it up top…..Jones VS Bader.

That’s a solid fight right there.

• Dufresne says:

Just read that Vera has 3 facial fractures from the fight. Damn.