B.J. Penn considering permanent move to welterweight

If UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn had the chance to go back and do it all over again, he wouldn’t change a thing.

Not the slightest bit disheartened by the pummeling suffered at the hands of UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre during UFC 94 in January of 2009, Penn reckons he had it coming to some extent.

“I think that everything happens for a reason in life. And I got my butt kicked,'” said Penn in a recent conversation with IGN. “Maybe I was saying some things I shouldn’t have been saying, so I got my butt kicked. With that said, everything happens for a reason. That’s why GSP has cheating tagged onto him. Everything is how it should be, life is perfect, life is always how it should be. Maybe I said some things that I shouldn’t have said, I got my butt kicked for that. And he has cheating attached to his name. That’s just exactly how life should be, exactly what happened I guess.”

When talk turned to the possibility of B.J. going up to 170 pounds in the near future, the future UFC hall of famer seemed more than optimistic about the idea.

“Yeah, I think there is a possibility of that,” said Penn. “I don’t in no way want to look past Frankie Edgar, he’s a good fighter. You never know what could happen. But if I go back to welterweight, maybe I’ll try to give it a run, maybe fight a couple of fights there, we’ll see how it goes.”

“I might try to do it permanent. We’ll see, I just don’t want to rush anything, just take my time and go out there and do my best.”

• rage says:

I would like to see bj at welterweight now he has his new strengh and conditioning guys

• kellemonster says:

1. Does GSP really have cheating attached to his name?
    2. What is all this crap about karma?

• manny says:

I think he will still fall as the #2 WW in the UFC if he makes the move.
    #1 GSP of course but I would like to see Peen vs Alves or Penn vs Fitch. I’m sure he’ll do good.

• crane_style says:

GSP has cheating attached to his name the same way BJ has calm rationale comments attached to his name. i.e. not at all

Guess it was the only was you could win a round against him, eh?

BJ Penn wouldn’t know karma if it threw him to the ground and punched him silly. We know this, because it already has. Please move back up to 170lbs, so we can see our silly mouth shut once and for all.

• Dufresne says:

crane_style: If we’re going to talk about cheating BJ, how about in the 1st fight with GSP, when you poked him in the eye, and despite George obviously suffering a disadvantage from this, you proceeded to take advantage of it.

• bigbadjohn says:

these streroid allegations are baseless. I can’t believe BJ is still chiming away about it. GSP is not known for cheating like he so matter-of-factly stated, there is no asterisk. In fact there is no reason to suspect Rush more than any other fighter in the UFC; Maybe the champion wears the belt because of his work ethic? Ever occur to you BJ? Maybe GSP doesn’t just sit around after a big win, maybe he is a major gym rat… not maybe, he IS. His work-out regimes seem harder than any fighter I’ve watched. Georges’ preformances always leave people talking about his athleticism and maybe forgetting to give him the props for his unhumanly dedication to the sport. BJ you will never physically be a good match-up to GSP and I’m not sure his work ethic can be learned. BJ Penn is the greatest 155 champion ever and a damn good 170, but that belt won’t end up on his waist as long as Georges is around.

Now I’ll politely remove my head from GSP’s ass and wish BJ the best.

• Makington says:

bigbadjohn: .Now I’ll politely remove my head from GSP’s ass and wish BJ the best.

LMAO. Awesome line.

• Dufresne says:

bigbadjohn: these streroid allegations are baseless. I can’t believe BJ is still chiming away about it.

I was thinking he was talking about the Vaseline incident.

• danw84 says:

I’m pretty sure the only time GSP has cheating attached to his name is when BJ talks about how he had to quit because he was getting beaten so bad.

• the vaseline thing was a accident for sure, a lapse of the mind at best. All the sweat makes it like oil anyways. Greg Jackson didn’t do that on purpose and GSP didn’t know about it, that is for sure.

• bigbadjohn says:

Ya BJ was definitely talking about the greasegate, i dont know how that evaded me. but my point still stands – no one believes that vaseline won the fight for GSP that night

• Johnny Sinister says:

holy man, it wasn’t Greg jackson, it was Phil Nurse. And besides it’s not a slip of the mind.
    Nurse has spent almost entire life in the fight game. He knows what he’s doing when he is cornering guys. I’m not say GSP wanted him to do it, or was really even aware of it, or that it had any real impact on the result of the fight BUTit’s frickin cheating. The rules are there for a reason. BJ is being a whiner about it no doubt, but GSP’s corner broke the rules, and if they didn’t know they were doing then it is GSP’s responsibilty as a fighter to make sure he is being cornered by guys who know and follow the rules. The fact GSP still trains with him leads me to believe though that GSP was probably aware of what was going on, and was ok with it.

FightFan313: the vaseline thing was a accident for sure, a lapse of the mind at best. All the sweat makes it like oil anyways. Greg Jackson didn’t do that on purpose and GSP didn’t know about it, that is for sure.  (Quote)

• inkythewinky says:

bj is the best lw, that being said gsp would havew done the same thing to him vasoline or not, bj needs to stick to what hes good at, lw

• rage says:

Man bj looks like a f•••ing anminal in that pic lol blood all over him joe daddy curled up in a ball
    crying!guy is a badass at 155 and with this whole greasegate thing i dont think it made to much of a difference gsp would have won either way i think!but people who say gsp and jackson did not know that was happening are wrong gsp knew,jackson knew and phil nurse definatly knew

• dpk says:

• blue says:

I like BJ, I think he is one of the best LW fighters ever but I have no interest in seeing BJ vs GSP III. It’s not like a BJ win would require a follow-up rubbermatch.

BJ Penn seems set on completely tarnishing his LW accomplishments and legacy by wanting to go back to WW again and again.

BJ is one of my favorite fighters (personality aside)… and I respect his drive in wanting to beat GSP and be the best WW but it doesn’t take an expert to see that this isn’t any easily accomplished feat and BJ is setting himself up for repeated disapointment…I agree there are exciting fights for him in WW but I don’t eant to see GSP/ Penn for a long time if ever again…

This time if BJ makes the jump up I think he needs to prove himself in the WW division for at the min. 3 fights and then just maybe a title shot… but I would rather see him stay at LW or even go lighter and bring WEC much needed hype and recognition.

• dpk: BJ would have great fights at WW against Hughes/Serra/Kos/Fitch/Thiago/Kampmann/Condit/ Hardy. If he beat 2 or 3 of them I would buy him fighting GSP again. Of course if GSP moves up, I could see him stepping right into a potential title shot.  (Quote)

Stold everything I was gonna say….Oh Ben Saunders Marcus Davis and just cuz its a good time to watch anyone fight him Chris Lytle. The great entertaining matchups are damn near endless with BJ at WW. I may get booed for this but Im currently uninterested with almost every UFC title chase right now and I care more about interesting fights. With Silva, GSP, Penn and Brock running their respective roosts and the current opponents in front of them I just dont see any titles changing hands in the next few months maybe even this year. But Im stoked about Bones Vs. Vera, Florian Vs. Gomi, Randy Vs. Ace, JDS and Gonzaga. Interesting fights are more important right now due to our champions ALL being so good. Shogun Vs. Machida 2 is what Im waitin for though. First fight was tooo close.

• cdrg says:

BJ, just let it go, stick to LW! never mind, go up to WW, I would like to see you get your ass kicked again by GSP and maybe this time you would shut your mouth once and for all and realize that you will never beat GSP or be at his level. you maybe somewhat like GSP, but at a lower level.

• mohawk009 says:

Dufresne: That’s not cheating. If a fighter gets poked in the eye it’s the refs job to stop the action and let him recover. It sucks, but that’s the way it is. Same goes for a groin shot. Check out the Trigg/Hughes II fight from a few years back and you’ll see something similar and all Trigg got was praise for trying to finish the bout.  (Quote)

It’s technically not cheating but penn has been accused of this before. It definately seems intentional when penn is always pawing his jab with his hand wide open. Thats how he poked gsp in the first fight. He threw a jab and never closed his fist. The ref should have stopped the fight at that point to allow gsp time to recover.

• crane_style says:

Dufresne:

While you’re right that it’s the ref’s job to stop in pokes and groin shots, I’m pretty sure that both of them are against the rules, so if you take advantage of it, you’re just a cheater who didn’t get caught.

Most fighters, when they poke someone or nut someone, have the decency to stop fighting, especially if the fighter indicates he’s been hurt, as GSP did. Not to do so is against the spirit of MMA, regardless of what the ref does.

Your example of Trigg proves my point. Most people think he was a cheating weasel to pound on Hughes after he nutted him, and it is rated as a incredible victory because Hughes overcame cheating and bad refereeing to win.

• LiverPunch says:

• inkythewinky says:

LiverPunch: I made the comment on another site that BJ would go up again and was rubbished. So I TOLD YOU SO!. Tell that to Sherk, Hughes, BJ and Miller who all said GSP was slick or greased. I will never understand where people like you are coming from. BJ complained after the first fight to the NSAC and asked them to keep an eye on it (according to his camp). They did and caught his camp doing it and at least 4 other previous opponents of his also say he was aided by more than sweat, say they can tell if it is sweat or something else and say it makes a difference. But I’m sure you know better than MMA fighters, Dana White and the NSAC. He is innocent based on the accused pleading ignorance. Yeah right!.  (Quote)

bjpenns mom?!!

• kcotemma says:

“george, im not gunna stop”

• crane_style says:

LiverPunch: I made the comment on another site that BJ would go up again and was rubbished. So I TOLD YOU SO!.Tell that to Sherk, Hughes, BJ and Miller who all said GSP was slick or greased. I will never understand where people like you are coming from. BJ complained after the first fight to the NSAC and asked them to keep an eye on it (according to his camp). They did and caught his camp doing it and at least 4 other previous opponents of his also say he was aided by more than sweat, say they can tell if it is sweat or something else and say it makes a difference. But I’m sure you know better than MMA fighters, Dana White and the NSAC. He is innocent based on the accused pleading ignorance. Yeah right!.

Lots of fighters have also said that the small amount of residue that was on GSP wouldn’t have affected the fight at all. So the fighters that agree with your opinion you believe, and the ones that disagree, you don’t. Sounds like a BJ fan to me.

People didn’t listen to BJ’s complaints because he’s a whiner who makes excuses when he loses. Or maybe that’s really just the whole world is in a conspiracy to make BJ look like an idiot.

Yeah, right.