White says Couture next for Franklin, not Liddell

Early Saturday, many reports has been filed announcing that the expected bout between Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz would not be taking place.

Multiple sources to many media outlets including  FiveOuncesofPain.com indicated that  Rich Franklin was believed to be a replacement for Tito Ortiz.

On his official Twitter account the UFC president had the following to say.

Not true! We are doing couture vs franklin not chuck.

What does this mean  for Chuck Liddell and his upcoming fight?

Stay tuned to FiveOuncesofPain.com as we bring you further news on this situations as it unfolds.

• Dufresne says:

• Dufresne: Okay, so they still want Chuck v Tito, I’m okay with that. Couture v Franklin should be an interesting fight.  (Quote)

Agreed, the technical striker with good game planning vs. the technical wrestler with great game planning, both with ridiculous cardio and solid both standing and on the ground. Very interesting, but who’s gonna get James Toney? I say winner of Kongo and Buantello if they wanna give Toney a shot at winning.

• darth_irritable says:

• David Andrest says:

darth_irritable: I have to think, given Dana’s predilection for Chuck protection, that the veto is because Franklin is quite capable of dropping Liddell like a stone.

This was in my top 3 scenarios as to what is going on here.

• fanoftna33 says:

Either way we get some good fights, but the odd thing about this is Dana coming out and trying to deny rumors about upcoming matchups, which is probably a sign that something strange happened

A whole lot to do about nothing…So far.

Anticipating a heavy news day, and I’m hoping it will not only clear up this Tito mess but also what’s going on with the rumored card for April to counter SF….only time will tell.

• blue says:

Is anybody excited to see Franklin fight again? I honestly would be on the fence if somebody asked me if Franklin should be on the main card or under card. Frankin isn’t go up the ladder as he got dropped by Belfort and Silva (twice).

I like Couture and respect his game planning but I am only interested in watching Couture fight a younger prospect (Brock, Carwin), almost like a gate-keeper position. Couture verse another veteran not going anywhere really brings nothing ot the table.

• Angry Mike says:

This will be an interesting tactical battle. Couture will want to clinch and push Franklin against the cage, and Franklin will want to stay at a distance and strike. It’s always fun to watch a couple of legends, but I doubt this will be a flashy, exciting fight.

• yhknq says:

off topic here a little but
    is that his real twitter account?
    there is a more recent post hyping the event sunday
    where he mentions howard vs johnson
    johnson has been off this card for some time now