Paulo Thiago vs. Martin Kampmann set for UFC 115

A welterweight tussle between Paulo Thiago and Martin Kampmann is looking extremely likely to take place during UFC 115.

Both fighters have verbally agreed to the match-up according to a recent report on The Las Vegas Sun, with the bout expected to be finalized in the coming days.

UFC 115 is loosely expected to take place from Vancouver, Canada on June 12, although nothing is set in stone at this point.

Thiago will be looking to improve on the recent beating dished out to Mike Swick at UFC 109 following a unanimous decision victory over Jacob Volkmann during UFC 106, while Kampmann will be coming back from his own victory over Jacob Volkmann of the guillotine submission variety during UFC 108.

• xtreme_machine says:

Good fight for Thiago but after this one (and not saying that it is an easy fight for Thiago)

Thiago should get the winner of Fitch/Alves or Paul/Koscheck (Depending on who gets the next shot at GSP first)

then the winner get the next shot

• Dufresne says:

This should be a pretty decent bout between two pretty solid ww fighters.

I’m liking Thiago to win this one if he can avoid getting KO’d, which he’s done pretty well so far in his career.

• fanoftna33 says:

This is a great fight, as both guys have good chins, Martin has better technique striking but Paulo has better power, Martin has good grappling while Paulo has great submissions, a very even and exciting fight.

• BillyWarhol says:

I’m a Canadian and somewhat PROUD of it altho we’re operating under a Bush-like Brainwashed Flock bunch o conservative Repube idiots but I think Mcguinty who is Premier of Ontario is Liberal and denied UFC Fights in our Province. It’s a little weird and yeah 2 supremely conditioned Fighters beatin’ the living Crap outta each other is sick and should be outlawed – I LOVE watching it – but people in this Day and Age are stoopid and sick-minded – ONE thing that strikes me about the Fighters is their LOVE + RESPECT for the Other Fighter – Hopefully the rest of our Sick Society will Clue into that – Shame people have to get Hurt to Learn that Basic Lesson in the most Brutal Sport in the World.

• mu_shin says:

Thiago is a major up-and-comer, maybe the best to come along in some time, and Kampmann a great test at this juncture. While some seem to think that having such a dominant champion as GSP is diminishing interest in the division, matchups like this one should allay those fears.

• inkythewinky says:

kampmann is a great gate keeper, he’s a tough dude

• sexy-yama says:

Is my gravatar up?

• sexy-yama says:

guess not :(

• Wow. I like this fight. I could see this going either way. Thiago has the edge I think. Kampman hasn’t looked as strong fighting at Welter. I could also see Kampman making me eat my words but I am clearly see Thiago winning this fight.

• manny says:

Actually I’m not excited about this fight. Thiago starts off his UFC debut KO Kos and losing to fitch on a grappling match and submitting Swick. 2-1 against AKA is geat and far better fighters than Kapmann. Kapmman Lost to Semtex Daley and hasn’t beaten any tough competion. This will be another win for Thiago and a step closer for a shot at gsp. I mean who else is there besides fitch who cant finish anyone & alves, they both had their shots. Thiago by submission.

• lalo_g80 says:

I agree. Kampman has not looked the same since getting KO’ed by Marquardt. I like him as a fighter but feel he is one of those who is always going to be on the cusp of greatness but never putting it altogether ala Vera and Gonzaga. Thiago should take this one. Hopefully its a back and forth fight wether it be standing or on the ground.

• Dufresne says:

This is completely unrelated to the topic, but WTF are you talking about BillyWarhol? Seriously, that came completely out of left field.

• Makington says:

It was a little unwarranted, but I won’t lose sleep over it. But man oh man, if MMA was legal in Ontario, it wouldn’t almost undoubtably be in Toronto(my area) and I’d probably crap myself.

On a related note, I still don’t know if I’m completely sold about Thiago. It’s weird as hell, since he flat out KO’d Kos, put a beating on Volkmann, and ruined any chance for Swick to get that title shot. I know he’s a game fighter, but I haven’t exactly jumped on his train yet, even though I admit he’s proven himself more than other fighters have that I became a fan of.

I think this fight is his most important step to prove that he is no doubt for real. I won’t be able to deny anything if he wins, and a fight against Daley or Koscheck should Thiago beat Kampmann would be a great idea for the next title shot.

• inkythewinky says:

what knuckle heads thumb downed my comment? kampmann moving up would take years cause he gets beat alot, he is a gate keeper, but he is a tough dude, just not a top level fighter, who would disagree with that? weird

I think Paulo Thaigo gets the ” W” and inches closer to his shot at the title but he’s not quite there yet…