WEC 47 Live Results

WEC 47 is taking place this evening live from the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio while airing on the Versus network.

Brian Bowles will be making the first defense of the WEC bantamweight crown when he squares off with Dominick Cruz in the main event of the evening, while former 135 pound champ Miguel Torres faces Joseph Benavidez in the co-headliner.

A full list of results from the event are below:

Ricardo Lamas def. Bendy Casimir via knockout (knee) – Round 1

Fredson Paixao def. Courtney Buck via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1

Leonard Garcia vs. George Roop ruled a split draw (29-27, 27-29, 28-28)

Anthony Pettis def. Danny Castillo via KO (head kick) – Round 1

Chad Mendes def. Erik Koch via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Scott Jorgensen def. Chad George via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1

Bart Palaszweski def. Karen Darebedyan via submission (armbar) – Round 1

L.C. Davis def. Deividas Taurosevicius via majority decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-29)

Javier Vazquez def. Jens Pulver via submission (armbar) – Round 1

Joseph Benavidez def. Miguel Torres via submission (guillotine) – Round 2

Dominick Cruz def. Brian Bowles via TKO – End of Round 2

• Bad Monkey says:

F**k you Directv!!!!!!!!!!

• inkythewinky says:

there was a comericial on for the upcomming wec ppv its got rogan and dana saying the same things they say b4 every ufc event, to me its annoying but it obviously works

• fanoftna33 says:

Holy crap Torres tapped.

• Bad Monkey says:

Cruz won by doctor stoppage. Just listing it as a TKO is misleading.

• mu_shin says:

Seeing lots of broken hands in the cage these days, shame Brian Bowles was not able to defend in his first title match. Sounded like he said he broke it in his last fight as well, could be an object lesson in not coming back too soon after a serious injury, even if you are the champ.

• Makington says:

Thank goodness I’m not a betting man; this would have been a bad night for me.

• edub says:

Makington: He was beat before the ref looked at his hand. You could see it in his eyes when the round ended and he could hardly walk.Thank goodness I’m not a betting man; this would have been a bad night for me.  (Quote)

Been a good past couple of weeks for me makes. Won 650 on Cain and 400 on Cruz tonight. Of course this was after losing 250 on Marquardt.

Next question is for everyone.

Does anyone else think that was a huge blow to Brian Bowles to quit like that. I don’t wanna call out a professional fighter for lack of heart, but a broken hand is usually talked about as something fought through. Not stopping a fight.

• fanoftna33 says:

i dont think it will affect his status all that much Edub, but your right about the hand IF that is why they stopped it(I cant watch wec anymore refer to comment 1 for my exact feelings) most fighters fight through it.

• Makington says:

Well you got to think that a broken hand is tough as hell to fight through in a normal situation but these guys hands are wrapped so tight with so much tape and leather that his bone might have broken, but it’s still all completely set. He already had as good a cast on that he could get. We see fighters fight through that all the time without too much trouble. It was in his limp, and his nose as well as his hand. He was beaten and the doctor gave him the way out.

Might seem critical, but fuck, you’re a champion man. You don’t let someone make you give up in the ring.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

Yeah, Urijah fought through it, Bowlcut just gave up. Did you see Scott Jorgensen’s submission? He had dude up against the cage in mid air kicking his legs in a guillotine choke. That was awesome, I bet Chad George is embarrassed as hell right now. Don’t show him that replay ever again!
    Sad to see Torres get jacked again, same with Pulver, but I didn’t expect that to happen to Torres at all. Congrats to Benevidez, he totally dominated Torres.

• crane_style says:

Wow, big night for the underdogs. As far as Bowles’ broken hand goes, it is usually something you hear about after the fight is over, but in his defense, it depends on the size/location bone that as broken. He did look beat after the 2nd round, but it could be because he knew he couldn’t fight anymore.

That the thing with the heavy punchers. You throw that punch like a fastball, it can do a lot of damage, but not just to the guy your trying to hit.

I was surprised by Torres. He started cautiously, which was smart, but as soon as he opened up a bit and took a hard punch, he became tentative. Looks like he hasn’t recovered psychologically from being knocked out.

• Dufresne says:

I wasn’t all that surprised that Bowles lost, but I was surpised by how it happens. I can’t remember how many times I’ve seen fighters continue with broken hands, and in a lot of cases pull out the win. But then again, when your bread and butter is the power punch, a broken hand is just about the worst thing you can get.

I was really pulling for Torres to win that fight, but he just didn’t seem like the fighter he was before that KO. He was completely controlling Bowles last fight before getting caught and in this fight he just seemed too cautious in the standup.

Poor Pulver. I love the guy, but if youre a standup fighter, why would you throw a leg kick at a bjj wizard like that? That’s just asking to get taken down and tapped, and that’s what happened. If he does hang the gloves up he’d make a he’ll if a coach, and if I remember right, he did a pretty good job as an analyst for the WEC once upon a time.

• hindsightufuk says:

have to agree i thought Bowles looked like he wasnt in the right frame of mind in the second round, looked like he had already quit mentally. whether it was due to the hand or something else who knows. i didnt give Cruz much of a chance to be fair, not because i thought Brian was too good, i just didnt think Cruz was good enough, but he was all over him.
    I guess we see Benavidez fight Cruz next? both guys could be ready fairly quickly?
    Though personally i would love to see Jorgenen fight Benavidez for the number one spot, that would be a crazy fight. Awesome display by Scott again, why the fuck he wasnt fighting top competition on the main card i dont know.

Palaszweski pulled off a great sub after taking some punishment on the ground, Benavidez was sick again, awesome KO by Anthony Pettis.

Leonard Garcia vs. George Roop was a draw? was it a good draw or a bore draw? i thought L.C. Davis def. Deividas Taurosevicius should have been a draw, no damage from either fighter, no attempts at ending the fight, in that situation i think the judges should get together and just say fuck it, that was a draw, Davis doesnt deserve a win for that.

and fucking Jens Pulver, guy has been choking me up with his after speeches for years, from when his boy Dusty died, to saying he’s taken a beating all his life to tonights speech, love that guy, i’ll support him regardless what he does next

• Guthookd says:

Wow. I’m glad I don’t bet either man, because I would have lost it all.

I agree with all of you on Bowles quitting….that was strange, but what are you going to do. It was clearly pointless for him to continue. Dom was very impressive. I can’t wait to see the rematch with Benavidez…….should be an awesome fight, and this time I’ll pay attention.

Poor Torrez. I feel for him. Benavidez is a hell of a fighter though, so a loss to him is understandable I suppose. I wonder how far this knocks him down the ladder.

Jorgensen’s sub was the weirdest guillotine I’ve seen yet, but it looked like it hurt. Quick fights can be exciting.

I have nothing to say about Jens, except that someone should have told him no to throw kicks unless he thinks he can make it out of a grappling situation. Rule one isn’t it? Don’t kick if you don’t want to be taken down. He got a chance the first time….second time…not so lucky.

All in all…..great night of fights.

• mu_shin says:

Always appreciative of the disparate opinions expressed here at 5 Oz., and respect a lot of the posters who share their perspectives here.

One quick point: I have a 2 inch scar across the knuckles of my left hand from the surgery following the breaking of bones within, suffered training for contact in TKD. Have to say how easy it is to sit on the sidelines and say a fighter should have gambled his future by fighting through the second time he broke his hand in the ring. Bowles chose to fight again another day, and hopefully he’ll be able to. When I broke the bones in my hand it irritated nerve tissue, causing electric shock pain that made my knees buckle, so believe me when I say Brian Bowles may have elected not to continue, but I don’t believe he quit. One man’s opinion…

• Makington says:

I’ve never done anything nearly on the scale of your injury mu shin, but I’ve pretty much mangled all of my fingers through the years by now. By your description, it sounds like about the nastiest type of hand break you can get through training, and I guess it’s possible Brian really did something serious as well, but it’s usually not the case. It’s hard as hell to really break the bone when it’s taped so tightly. If the bone breaks in your knuckle, it typically stays in the same spot which makes setting the bone and healing go much easier. I reckon we’ll see an MRI and get more information in the coming weeks how serious it is, so I won’t question his heart just yet, but I believe fighting through injuries like that is what makes a true champ. Damn Fedor nearly breaks his hand right off after every fight, and Faber fought with broken parts for 25 minutes. When GSP ripped his groin off against Alves he fought through 2 hard rounds afterwards to keep his belt. To me, that’s a true champ no matter what.

• Makington says:

And I totally agree hindsight about Pulver. He should write some of those speeches for the Oscars or something because you can practically feel the emotion right off the screen. Like, I’ve always had respect for the guy, but I’ve never been a huge fan of his, and even I was being moved by his speech.

• mu_shin says:

Makington,

Point well taken. Muhammad Ali had hand problems through his whole career, and Fedor has had well documented hand problems as well. Agree that champions fight through injuries.

Would suspect that Bowles, having broken the hand previously, knew what he was up against, and made a decision in the moment to call it so he could heal and fight again another day. Might be argued that if Uriah had done the same against Brown, he might have only broken one hand that night, and not both, but we’ll never know, as he elected to continue, fighting like the champion he is.

Just wanted to share another perspective, as I watched that fight, and while Cruz was doing a great job, I thought I had seen Brian shaking out his hand just like Uriah did, and wondered even before the stoppage if he wasn’t hurt. When I watched it again later, I saw it for sure, and didn’t think it was right to label Bowles a quitter. Again, just one old man’s opinion…

• hindsightufuk says:

if it genuniely was the hand that was the problem for Bowles then giving in to injury isnt a bad thing, it just looked like he was off from the start. you know when you can tell if someone is in the right mind state, Brian just didnt seem to be. But then he did say he broke the hand early. I dunno, just thought he was off

and yep Scotts guillotine was like a playground choke, lifting the guy off the floor was ridiculous, loved it