“The American Psycho” draws WEC 47 commentating duties with Frank Mir deep in training

Fan-favorite and The Ultimate Fighter season one finalist Stephan Bonnar will be stepping in for Frank Mir to bring an insider’s perspective to the WEC 47 color commentary.

Mir is currently deep in taining for an upcoming heavyweight interim championship showdown with Shane Carwin at UFC 111.

The news of the anchor change comes through WEC representatives in a recent report at MMAJunkie.com.

While Bonnar’s position with the UFC following three consecutive deats under the promotion seeming secure at this time with a potential rematch with Krzysztof Soszynski being rumored for the near future, the commentating side of things could be one possible avenue “The American Psycho” decides to pursue when his career punching and choking people has come to an end.

Bonnar has some previous experience in the field with UFC 59 currently on his current commentating resume.

WEC 47 is set to take place from the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio this Saturday evening, March 6, with Brian Bowles making the first defense of his bantamweight crown against Tucson, Arizona’s Dominick Cruz in the headlining match-up.

• Guthookd says:

Good. I’m glad he found another job. I”ll be surprized if he gets another fight, even if he is a fan favorite and Dana’s son in law.

• Dufresne says:

Guthookd: Good. I’m glad he found another job.I”ll be surprized if he gets another fight, even if he is a fan favorite and Dana’s son in law.I have a feeling this has at least a little to do with Mir’s recent death threats though.

Damn, you stole all of my points…

• jj says:

I wish Kenny Florian would get more guest commentating spots, he was fantastic when filling in for Rogan the last time.

Guthookd… you said it all.

and jj I do agree with you that Florian has the skills for the position and was comfortable his last time out as well.

• G-DUB says:

Having watched/heard both Florian and Bonnar as commentators for the UFC and on MMA Live, I feel Bonnar is slightly more interesting to listen to. Though Florian tends to be more technical and maybe even more well-spoken, Bonnar makes up for it with more wit and personality.
    Nonetheless, I hope to see both do well for themselves long after their fighting careers are over.

• KTru says:

even if Mir was not training, it may still be the better thing to do replacing him for now. Fresh on the minds of fans, Mir would be exposed to them and easily taunted, razzed, and other hounding remarks from them.

let some time pass and all would be forgiven.

• s00nertp says:

having the color commentators builds fan rapport with fighters, and brings awesome insight into the minds of a fighter. It is invaluable & I love that they do this.

KenFlo is one of my favorites, but so is Quinton Jackson (and Bas obviously, but that isnt in the UFC).

• BigDave says:

Bonnar seems like a standup dude but lets face it he is a can. He should become a full time commentator because he is a guy whos fighting career peeked losing to forest griffin and ended the minute he signed a UFC contract.

• hindsightufuk says:

UFC used to have guest commentators all the time, the Shamrocks, Randy, Chuck, Tito, Bas, Jens. they need to bring those days back