Randy Couture calls for James Toney

Six-time UFC champion Randy Couture has been the first man to call out the former boxing champion James ‘Lights Out’ Toney shortly after FiveOuncesofPain.com first made the signing of the decorated boxer to a multi-fight deal with the UFC public yesterday afternoon.

Couture stated his interest in being the first man to fight Toney in the UFC.

Via media site Twitter, Couture said:

I hope I’m the first guy they call to fight tony! :)

Couture then reiterated his desire to fight Toney with another ‘tweet’ four hours later:

I hope they set me up with tony !

Toney’s first opponent is still yet to be announced as Dana White confirmed on Wednesday that he had not yet formulated a plan for Toney’s first appearance in the octagon. Blockbuster heavyweight bouts with stars such as Kimbo Slice, Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture are already being speculated about but one thing is for sure; Toney didn’t come to the UFC to fight nobodies. Toney has already confirmed that he is looking to fight the best of the best in the world of MMA and he is to be offered those type of blockbuster fights from Dana White.

A potential match up between Couture and Toney still has a lot to be decided before it can headline a UFC event. The weight class that this fight would be fought at would have much deliberation with Couture stating his determination to fight Lyoto Machida for the UFC light heavyweight championship.

• fanoftna33 says:

• Angry Mike says:

Why would Couture want this fight? Everybody will expect him to win, so it’s nothing special if he does. If he loses, it’s a humiliation.

it’s all about the $$$$…

Sponsors, ratings, mainstream coverage…dollars and cents for all involved.

• Lethal Liquid says:

I hope this fight jumps off. Opening bell Randy better use that Greco-Roman wrestling and get Toney’s ass on the ground. This dude can put anybody’s shit out on the curb if those hands connects

• MMAfan1107 says:

Toney wants big fights, give him Couture and anybody else who wants to kick his ass. He’s a washed-up old boxer who has no business fighting in the UFC! If he wants to be an MMA fighter, try-out for TUF!

• Kuch says:

This would be the easiest fight to hype and would do huge numbers. I say make it happen.

• qat says:

and on top of it everybody could say: the ‘old boxer’ toney was beaten by an even older mma-fighter :]

• MMAfan1107 says:

Toney wouldn’t get out of the first round with Couture or any elite MMA fighter. If he’s going to fight in the UFC, a better matchup would be Toney vs Kimbo.

• Angry Mike says:

Toney would have a better than average puncher’s chance against Couture, imo. Couture or any other grappler has to get within range for takedown attempts, and that’s when lightening could strike. I still think Toney’s biggest vulnerability will be leg kicks, which will be out of his punching range and which he won’t have the skills to check. A striker could throw those at will because Toney isn’t a wrestler, so it’s unlikely he could catch one and dump the striker. Even if he did, what good would that do him? He couldn’t hold down a legit grappler.

• danw84 says:

Is everyone assuming that Dana signed Toney to do well and win? It really seems to me like Dana signed him to feed him to a real MMA fighter and show everyone that boxers can’t come and dominate with just a one dimensional fight plan, even if they are at the elite level with it.

With how much boxers keep saying they could come into the UFC and beat MMA fighters with ease, I really doubt Dana is bringing one in to prove exactly that. People think this is all about money, and while I’m sure this will bring a huge chunk of change the UFC’s way, I honestly think that Dana signed him for reasons other than to have him beating his guys.

• hindsightufuk says:

surely Toney is gonna fight at HW being that he’s a fat fucker these days, i think Randy should stick to LHW, he is possibly one win away from a title shot, deserved or not, he’d be daft to risk it at this stage.
    I personally cant think of many UFC hw’s that would make a good fight for Toney, Kongo maybe? actually Pual Buentello would be good

• MMAfan1107 says:

danw84: Agreed

Toney’s biggest vulnerability would be takedown defense. I don’t think Toney has the lightening anymore.

• danw84 says:

Give Toney the loser of Mir vs Carwin.

• Lerner17 says:

I say if the Natch wants first crack at Lights Out they should let him have it. Let Toney get humbled in the ring after he gets obliterated by one of the best wrestlers in the game.

• Lerner17 says:

^I’m pretty sure I typed the word “octagon” instead of ring…

• Unabomberman says:

Meh.

Just picture that fight: A boxer trying to box, and a greco-roman wrestler trying to, well, wrestle. And that’s it. Period. We’d get THREE rounds of that.

Call me crazy, but I totally see Toney knocking Randy in the first round. We know Randy won’t try to clinch him, or box him since he fully knows that all Toney has ever done is use his arms and fists when attacking living living things. He will obviously try to go for the takedown, and depending of the given situation he may or may not get it–face it: it’s not a proven fact that he will 100% get the all his takedowns (though it is more likely if Toney shows up with no speed below his knees). Against an experienced elite boxer, an MMA fight becomes incredibly rarified when the other guy’s stand-up is just not up to snuff.

It’s a damn gamble the UFC is trying to play here, that’s for sure. Let’s hope it pays off.

• MMAfan1107 says:

• Unabomberman says:

MMAfan1107: Ok, your CRAZY! Randy would dump him on his back and either GNP him out or submit him. If it was a boxing match, sure Toney would destroy him, but its not.

• twyg says:

If Toney can make LHW sure give Randy the first shot at this guy, but if not give him a legit HW. I’m thinking Cain, because I know that Cain wins that fight. Toney would not be able to stop his take downs. The problem with Randy is he has been knocked out by lesser punchers the Toney (every fighter in MMA is a lesser puncher then James Toney) and he uses his wrestling backround to keep guys against the cage and use dirty boxing. James Toney has had no problem with his back against the ropes using dirty boxing in the ring. In terms of what would sell:a fight with Randy would sell more. If Dana was looking to make a new household name though this fight will do it for anyone. Let me just state the obvious(?) a Toney/Lesnar fight would be the biggest in terms of dollars. If they made it non-title (the very idea of non-title fights makes me sick) I could actually see this happening as Brocks first fight back. It is a safe fight for Brock, and you still get Brock vs. Mir/Carwin at the end of the year

• MMAfan1107 says:

Unabomberman: But that’s the point, that’s the only thing Randy can do: Dump Him On His Back. If that fails, he’s toast. He may well pull it off, but who knows. Weirdest things have happened.  (Quote)

Toney has no takedown defense. You can’t even compare their skill sets. Toney has one way to win the fight, Couture has many.

• Guthookd says:

Oah man. I can only imagine what will happen if Toney catches Randy and wins the fight. It would be a nightmare.

They need to give him an unknown fighter who will still be able to dominate him. I say it’s too risky to let him fight Randy.

• Unabomberman says:

Guthookd: Oah man.I can only imagine what will happen if Toney catches Randy and wins the fight.It would be a nightmare.They need to give him an unknown fighter who will still be able to dominate him.I say it’s too risky to let him fight Randy.

Feed him Duffee. Everybody wins on that one.

• MMAfan1107 says:

Unabomberman: Exactly. The cons outweight the pros, considerably. Just b/c Randy is supposed to bulldoze Toney on paper that doesn’t mean it’s set in stone. To say that Toney’s chances are 0% is beyond ridiculous, and all he needs is catch Randy ONCE. I mean, c’m on!Feed him Duffee. Everybody wins on that one.  (Quote)

0%??? Who said 0%? We can discuss this all day and get no where. In the upcoming months we will see what Toney does in the UFC. I’ll take the MMA fighter over the boxer (in a MMA fight) everytime.

• Guthookd says:

I’m glad at least someone sees my point.

Everyone thinking about this fight needs to remember that Randy got caught with a PUNCH by BROCK LESNAR.

• edbuzz says:

I don’t blame Randy for wanting to pad his stats. This one is a layup for any experienced MMA fighter and the over exposure from the main stream media can only help the fighter that dumps Toney on his ass.

You know Dana White wants the UFC to surpass boxing as the number one combat sport and having his fighters beat boxers rather easily will only help him achieve that goal. Think of all the potential matchups. The MMA fighters would kill the boxers for sure.

I’d love to see Floyd Mayweather fight Jose Aldo or Urijah Faber. He would get his ass kicked so quick I would love to see that fight.

Or Brock Lesnar or Emelianenko bust Vladimir Klisctko upside his head and the ground and pound him. Then Jim Lampley and Larry Merchant couldn’t bullshit us about how great boxing is anymore.

• Patrickk says:

fanoftna33: It seems like a waste of a traing camp for one of the better fighters in whatever weight class Toney fights in. What would a guy like Rampage, Evans, Dos Santos or Cain get from a fight with not only a ufc newcomer but MMA newcomer. I know Frank Mir got a huge boost from beating Brock but he had been training for over a year before that fight and still lost. Both Toney and the ufc should do him a big favor and not feed him to anybody neer the top 10.

This is for money and bringing newcomers to MMA. Toney will not ever compete for a title. However, he is a huge name from boxing, and can steer fans toward this sport that would have never given it a shot [i.e. Lesnar and WWE fans, and now Lashley]. Not to mention whoever he fights will be a big MMA name so it will in a sense be boxing vs. MMA and MMA will gain a little more ground. And last but surely the most important — the money! Big big big big big payday for the UFC and whoever fights Toney.