Josh Barnett signs with DREAM

Following a hiatus from mixed martial arts that has stretched over a year, former top ranked heavyweight Josh Barnett has recently signed with DREAM, and expects to return to the sport in March.

Barnett’s recent acquisition by DREAM was first reported by MMAWeekly.com.

While no opponent has been set at this point, Barnett’s debut is expected to come on March 22 during DREAM 13.

Barnett is a veteran of both PRIDE and the UFC, with notable victories over the likes of Gilbert Yvel, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Aleksander Emelianenko on his resume.

“The Baby Faced Assassin” was last expected to face off with Fedor Emelianenko during “Affliction: Trilogy” before Barnett allegedly testing positve for banned substance scrapped the bout and the event in one stroke.

• Angry Mike says:

[Insert obvious comment about Japanese org’s and steroid testing]

• qat says:

is he allowed to bring his own pharmacist to the ring?

• fanoftna33 says:

I read that Sylvia already turned down a fight with Barnett, which is to bad as it would have been a good fight and a great time to fight Josh as he has been inactive for a while. Acually I am surprised Tim didnt jump all over it.

Guess you gotta go where they’ll accept you…

Some fighters have gotten a pass on being busted on there roid usage but Josh’s case
    was high profile and he’s a multiple time offender…. and worst of all he denies it up and down on every occasion- if he man’d up and took it on the chin maybe the fans and promos would be more forgiving.

I have a feeling this guys will wind up overseas for the remainder of his career being that the HW
    talent pool has recently become alot deeper than previous years…they just don’t need a liabilty whom isn’t worth the risk to begin with…

• hindsightufuk says:

not many fights available to him in Dream. Certainly not many real tests, maybe he coul fight Semmy Schilt again?

worse thing is Josh is a genuinely great fighter

• Lethal Liquid says:

• hindsightufuk says:

Lethal Liquid: I might have too take exception to the he’s a great fighter take on this guy. For all we know he has been using steroids throughout his career. That taints every win he managed to garner. He’s irrelevant anyway

i see you’re point, but steroids don’t make him the naturally gifted boxer and submission fighter that he is

• edub says:

Maybe he can fight the other emelienenko now. Wouldve been better last year so him and overeem couldve fought and used as many steroids as their hearts desired.

• hindsightufuk says:

yeah i was thinking Josh vs Aleks would make a nice rematch.
    did he ever fight Alistair? i cant remember, would be a good fight though

• Rich S. says:

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, Steroids help build muscle.. That’s it..
    You can’t erase all of Barnett’s accomplishments on the possibility that he was using Steroids the whole time..

Barnett’s the one that put in the countless hours of training..
    Barnett’s the one that took the punches to the face,
    the cuts,
    the bruises,
    the broken bones,
    and HE’S THE ONE that won all those fights.. Not the steroids..

I, in no way, think that Steroids should be used in sports, nor do I condone Barnett’s use of them, but the comments about him (and all steroid users) get ridiculous at times..

I know he has an obligation to uphold, and he shouldn’t be fooling with banned substances, but don’t start discrediting his entire career..

On a more agreeable note, his bad choices did kind of ruin his career.. We’ll see how well he bounces back..

• Lethal Liquid says:

His natural gifts are enhanced by the drugs. Its all about recovery time. His body bounces back quicker in the weight room and in turn in the actual fights themselves

• RU486 says:

Barnette vs Fedor anyone? With all the Strikeforce / Dream collaborations, this could actually end up being feasible.

• king mah mah says:

I agree with Lethal Liquid here.

Don’t give me this shit that a guy who is a known juicer is so damn “naturally talented”. That’s a bunch of bullshit. I guess we’ll never know how “naturally talented” he is because he isn’t doing things the “natural” way.

Steroids can help your strength, endurance, recovery time……….etc etc etc.

He very well may have some natural talent, but you can’t convince me that steroids didn’t help him win some matches. Period. Why would anyone want to defend him anyway? Sounds like some people here have done a little juice themselves! Now their trying to convince themselves that they are “naturally talented”! LMAO! BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Patrickk says:

Yeah, steroids main use is to build muscle. However, imagine how easy it would be to stuff a takedown with extra muscle, how much easier it would be to knock someone out, and even take a punch — with extra muscle. The steroids help out A LOT. He was considered a top 5 heavyweight fighter last year before the test, and that’s solely based on the steroids. But if he would just naturally do things, he would be a top 25 fighter for sure. So the man does have talent, it’s just with the steroids it boosts his performance to another level.

Kind of like on a regular day you have energy, but when you shoot a five hour energy you are through the roof for a couple of hours.

• Patrickk says:

…except his steroid use has seemingly involved a whole career of being “through the roof”.

• king mah mah says:

I’ll never defend steroids because I don’t use them nor have I ever had a desire to use them.

I would however defend drinking alcohol. WHY? Well because I like to drink! My point is that people will defend whatever it is they are trying to justify using. Whatever their crutch may be.

• JollyDV says:

It is always good to see a fighter bounce back after facing the abyss. (whatever that might be). Hey, we get to see him fight again. I am all for it. Maybe he learned his lesson this go round with the steroids.

• crane_style says:

The thing I find weird is that for a guy who uses steroids, he usually looks pretty flabby.

• hindsightufuk says:

king mah mah: Good point Patrickk. The only people I’ve ever personally known to defend steroids are people that USE THEM! .  (Quote)

reason i said my comments wasnt to defend Josh, fuck him, he’s a big boy he can make his own choices and clean up whatever shit that falls on him. i do genuinely think he is a gifted fighter, and i think its a damn shame that he has done this to himself again and again.
    who knows, maybe he could have won even more matches if he had never taken steroids, we will never know. I love mma, Josh is a funny guy, interesting, intelligent and a very good entertaining fighter. i just wanna see him fight the top competition.

to say that we must use steroids cos i think Josh is talented is fucking stupid. no one on these comments has defended steroids.

• Gurthee says:

*cough cough, “roids”, *cough cough….Next!