Fedor Emelianenko vs. Fabricio Werdum scratched from April CBS card, shifted to May

At an M-1 Selection conference, M-1 President Vadim Finklestein announced that Fedor Emelianenko’s fight with Fabricio Werdrum will take place in May, rather than the originally anticipated April date.

The fight was previously expected to air on CBS, but a middleweight title fight between Dan Henderson and Jake Shields will headline that show instead.

It was rumored that Fedor would Alistair Overeem at the upcoming Dream card, but those rumors were quickly shot down by both Strikeforce/M-1 and Dream.

Overeem is tentavely expected to defend his Strikeforce Heavyweight Championship against the winner of the Werdum/Fedor fight later in the year.

No exact date or location has been set for the bout between Fedor and Werdum as of this writing.

• Bad Monkey says:

Not the best news for SF. By all indications they wanted this April card on CBS, but now with no Fedor will they push it to Showtime? I don’t see CBS putting on cards in April and May.

And yeah, I’d say Overeem defending his title this year in the States is VERY tenative.

I dunno… SF and there scheduling is mind boggleing – if they had 2 huge co main events the ratings would have been insane…
    I won’t hold my breath for overeem to fight the winner of the may fight either

• 27jride says:

Yeah right, Overeem’s gonna quit juic’n? They’ve been saying that for how long now?

• xtreme_machine says:

IMO dumb call by SF

Having fedor. Mousasi. And hendo would have been huge ratings

There is no need to split them up and put some bogous fights in the card.

Unles they put aioki vs menendez

• fanoftna33 says:

Great news for me as I dont have cbs with my satilite service, and still a pretty decent match up as Werdum isnt a pushover.

• Guthookd says:

Fedor who?

• Lethal Liquid says:

I actually think its wise too spread out their talent. I don’t have Showtime but business wise its better to have legit main events to hang your hat on. Strikeforce is not ready too take on the Ufc head to head. So why don’t you make solid cards instead of one juiced card and a bunch of ass-tastic cards. Build momentum and exposure. Pick up some Ufc castoffs as well. Must do something to stand out from the Ufc. Maybe some live pre-fight interviews with the fighters just before they come out. Strikeforce doesn’t have the talent advantage but they could have the upper hand in the ideas department if they open it up a bit.

• qat says:

shiftet to may.. may what? there are 31 days in may.
    do they even plan an event in may?
    i already doubt it will happen.
    and seeing a hw title-fight this year?
    i doubt that too, sadly. :/

sf needs to organize its shit.

• Carvaggio says:

i hate this Werdum fight anyway since it’s a lose lose for Fedor – if he wins every TUFfer will say that Werdum is just another cast off from the UFC & god forbid if the russian losses…

i really hope that SF listens to the fans & tells Uberreem to cycle off of his horse meat & man up & fight Fedor in May…

• cocoonofhorror says:

Overroid is the champion of absolutely nothing.

• slammy862 says:

Yeah, you don’t want to have TWO good fights on a card. I mean, what are you trying to do, attract viewers or something.

Little over a month before the fights!

Wreaks of mismanagement and I hope Fedor wises up and jumps ship on those yahoos.

• mu_shin says:

Fedor/Werdum is not the worst matchup we’ve seen, but I don’t see Werdum as much of a threat to a healthy well trained Emelianenko. What I do see is a tendency for everything Strikeforce does to scream junior varsity, giving an impression that they are making it up as they go along, with no real forethought or long range planning.

• Batman says:

Isn’t Overeem going to face Brett Rogers on The may card?

• Jstew3785 says:

Batman: Isn’t Overeem going to face Brett Rogers on The may card?  (Quote)

It wouldn’t surprise me… It would probably be a non-title fight

• 27jride says:

Rinky-dink, shoe-string amateurs. I would LOVE to see SF become a good production but between the lower tier fighters (of course, Hendo, Fedor, and maybe Werdum excluded), the absence of their juice head HW champ, the crappy fight cards, and Steven “the tool” Quadros they have a LONG way to go; It’s a bummer because if they could get their shit together and step up to a higher level it would force UFC to put out better productions and we the fans would all win!

• Spoken says:

So I’ve read a lot of people claiming Fedor fights cans, or he is not as good as claimed. How is a man on a 28 fight win streak, with only 1 loss(due to cut) not for sure one of, if not the best fighter the sport has seen. Names like Rodrigo Noguiera, Cro-Cop, Randleman, Goodridge, Fujita, Herring, Shilt, Arlovski, Arona, Coleman, Sobral, and Nagata are on his hit list. He beat 2 recent UFC champions not far after their title reigns, a good looking young up-and-comer in Brett Rogers, and his biggest wins were against world-class fighters in their prime (Cro-Cop, Goodridge, Randleman, Herring, Noguiera, Fujita, Coleman). I see this as the most impressive 10-year career in the sport and i find it hard not to respect such an accomplished fighter.

• GAR says:

Fabricio Werdum is not in Fedor’s league, no one wants to watch this fight, atleast i dont.

• LiverPunch says:

I’m sorry to offend you guys but if you think that SF along with their partners M1 and Dream and the ability to work with WVR cannot put together 2 good cards you have no concept at all of world MMA. I know that SOME of you (no one specific) are influenced by UFC marketing and think less of fighters outside of the organization but it is disturbing how easily led a lot of you are. They have available Mo, Hendo, Aoki, Mousasi, Sheilds, Diaz, Thomson, Lawler, Manhoef, Werdum, Overeem, Rogers, Gracie, Lashley, Arlovski, Melendez, Smith and Le along with many others in SF alone and when you add M1, Dream, womens MMA and WVR the options are vast. Sure they don’t have the depth of the UFCs exclusive contract fighters yet but if you pool the free ranging talent outside of the UFC it is not too far behind. It is just the massive hype machine does kick in untill they are drafted by the UFC. Don’t get me wrong here, I’m not bashing the UFC with this I’m just trying to give credit where I think credit is due and SF is the first UFC rival since Pride that I am really impressed by. I think a lot of you when complaining about SF are really just saying “it is not the UFC”.
    By the way Werdum has victories over Vera, Overeem, Aleks, Big Foot and 2 over Gonzaga just to name a few. So tell me, because I’m interested in this, if a guy with over half a dozen wins over top 20 guys, a BJJ wiz and a top 10 fighter himself is “no good” or “not in Fedors league” who is?. His resume is very impressive and, as it stands, far more impressive than the UFCs next HW challenger Carwin, who has had 1 fight against any one that has been top…30! I mean Werdum has at least 12 fights against top 20 fighters and with only 4 losses against top 10 guys he has won the majority of those top 20 clashes. I don’t understand where any of you haters are coming from. Please tell me what I’m missing here.