Shell Shocked: Can Cro Cop still pull the trigger?

While Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic managed to end up in the win column once again this past Saturday evening at UFC 110 with a doctor’s stoppage victory over journeyman Anthony Perosh in Australia, I personally remain far from convinced that the once widely feared Croatian is anything more than a shell of his former terrifying self.

It seemed apparent that Cro Cop was gun-shy in the bout with Perosh, as the vicious left high kick the Pride veteran is known for was nowhere in sight. However, according to Filipovic it had little to do with the commonly accepted belief that he lost something when he was kicked off-side the skull by Gabriel Gonzaga several years ago that he is likely never to get back, and everything to do with Mirko feeling “sorry” for his recent victim.

“I am very sorry that I had to hurt Perosh,” said Mirko in a recent conversation with Fighters Only. “I tried to fight with as much consideration for him as I could. I even avoided the ground because I am 7, 8 kilos heavier than he is.

“I just couldn’t do that to him when he was so bloody.”

These recent statements by Cro Cop are more than a little bothersome in my opinion. Mirko is “sorry” he had to hurt Perosh? He tried to fight with as much “consideration” as he could?

Reality check: MMA is a brutal sport where people are going to get bloody. Believe it or not, fighters that have been bloodied up have come back to send their opponent to the emergency room on hundreds of occasions.

Now before everyone jumps in and tells me that Perosh is a fellow Croatian and has helped to train Mirko’s team mates in the past, let me tell you that I don’t care. Mirko and Anthony didn’t grow up together. They’re not drunk texting one another or catching up at the local night spots in Zagreb.

If Perosh had an opportunity to choke Cro Cop to an unconscious stupor, do you think Mirko’s Croatian bloodline would have held him back for one moment? I’d like to hope not, for his sake.

It’s always been my belief that the best way to respect and honor your opponent would be to try to finish him as quickly and violently as possible. If a man is going to suffer a defeat to another man in agreed battle, I’m sure the loser would like to know that the victor did everything he could to conquer him. Not that they “held back”.

Plus, if you’re convinced that you’re really THAT much better than your opponent – who you really, really respect – why not finish them as soon as possible as opposed to putting a prolongued, drawn out beating on your compadre?

Furthermore, to state that you basically took it easy on your opponent is an excuse for a lackluster performance. How exactly does Cro Cop stating that he didn’t want to hurt Perosh make Anthony look? It’s basically Mirko stating that he could have decimated Perosh if he felt like it. Don’t talk about it, be about it.

The fact of the matter is that this is far from the first time that Filipovic’s ability to pull the trigger like he used to has been drawn into question, and it’s for good reason, but to believe that Mirko COULD HAVE looked more impressive than he did is nothing but talk, and at the core, flat-out disrespectful.

• redness says:

Cory someone stated on here that Cro Cop was training with perrosh leading up to this fight. Not sure if this is true or not but if he was it could be the reason fr him laying off a bit.

It was stated elsewhere he trained with him in the past… either way it’s his livlihood he’s playing with… Cro Cop can do whatever he wants with his career and his fights whether it’s good or bad for business that’s his problem…

• xtreme_machine says:

i think that after getting KOed by Gonzaga’s head kick

Cro Cop realized what his opponents felt when he did that to them back in Pride

although i miss the Body Kick = Hospital
    Head Kick = Cemetery

• Rich S. says:

Cro Cop’s “killer instinct” is the least of my worries.. As far as I’m concerned, he went alot harder on Perosh than he could have..

Am I the only one that saw the old, quick, stalking Cro Cop in there? Instant sprawls, heavy strikes, and down right scary demeanor.. I think when watching, most of you were LOOKING for something bad from Cro Cop, try watching it again with an open mind.. He looked good..

Right now, his worst enemy is his own mind.. Whether it be fear, or confidence, his own thoughts are affecting what he does in there.. The lack of kicks is the most damaging.. He hits hard with his hands, but I think it’s safe to say that only a couple more kicks would’ve ended the fight with Perosh a lot sooner.. I hope and pray that he decides to bring those kicks back out in any future fights.. and I think he would against a more striking oriented fighter..

Also, he didn’t have much to fear from Perosh as he would one of the more serious contenders right now..

Give him another fight with a step up in competition, but not against a title contender (like Yvel or Buentello) and we’ll see if he’s ready for his big return..

• Angry Mike says:

The problem with this fight isn’t how Cro Cop handled himself. The problem was that it was scheduled in the first place. I’ll bet many of the state commissions in the U.S. wouldn’t have sanctioned this fight because of the differences in skill and experience.

• GAR says:

Cro Cop can still fight, he showed amazing takedown defense, good striking, he looked much better than he did against Al-Turk, or JDS, i think he can still put on a good show, maybe not compete with the young guns of the UFC HW division, but i still look forward to every Cro-Cop fight, just remember Cro Cop has been in the game for a long time, no matter what his age says, he has 15+ years of fighting under his belt, that will take a toll on anyone, Randy Couture didnt start fighting till he was 32, and i think thats why he is still able to compete, Imagine a 27 year old Cro Cop vs Can Velasquez, i think that would be an interesting fight to say the least. Cro Cop fan for life, win or loose!!! WAR CRO COP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• hindsightufuk says:

xtreme_machine: i think that after getting KOed by Gonzaga’s head kick
    Cro Cop realized what his opponents felt when he did that to them back in Prideso now after feeling what they felt he feels sorry from them and thinks twice about throwing italthough i miss the Body Kick= Hospital Head Kick = Cemetery

he hasnt been the same since that head kick thats for sure.
    was the same back in pride though, after Randleman knocked him out his next fights against top competition he seemed wary of exchanging and possibly getting caught again. he did a lot of the backing up we saw in the Dos Santos fight

• fanoftna33 says:

I think the ufc should give him Gilbert Yvel, two historically great strikers in the twilight of there careers. Both with a suspect chin at this point. Would be a good fight for as long as it lasted.

• KTru says:

Rece Rock: “Does Filipovic remember that he’s in the BUSINESS of hurting people? There’s no use for words such as “sorry” or “consideration” in this sport. Or phrases such as, “I just couldn’t hurt him anymore when he was so bloody”. ”THEN I GUESS FRANK MIR SHOULDN”T HAVE BEEN REPREMANDED AND FORCED TO APOLOGIZE… IF THATS THE CASE THEN FRANK SHOULD GET A PASS BECAUSE HE IS LETTING PPL KNOW HE IS IN FACT IN THE BUSINESS OF HURTING PPL…

using the caps lock does not make others realize the intensity of your post

• KTru says:

Cro Cop is no longer top ten material, and never challenge for the UFC title. But he shouldn’t be expected to. He is still a name, a pioneer of the sport that has some compelling match ups left. Plus, the Affliction/Tapout wearing, TUF watching fan will still tune in.

• Carvaggio says:

i feel bad for Cro Cop everytime i’ve watched him fight in the UFC – win or lose. The ring was his kingdom where he could walk down people and cut them off. The cage is huge and he has to chase guys all around while hardly throwing kicks anymore. I guess i know what all those lidell fans feel like now…

• fetussandwich says:

Frank Mir is deplorable for his comments, wah. Cro Cop is in the business of hurting people and I want him to be more violent, wah.

• Spoken says:

I am a little confused…. A man becomes famous for his brutal head-kicks, and for this fight he didn’t throw it. Why does this automatically mean Cro-Cop is finished? I watched that fight and saw Cro-Cop walking into his opponent, tagging him with strikes, and pushing the pressure every second. He felt that he had that fight I am sure. MMA is not about hurting people to make the fans happy or to inflate your ego. Its about going in and proving who is the better fighter. Cro-Cop did exactly that and was able to do it with a level of self-restraint to avoid hurting an unprepared and much less experienced fighter. I give him much respect and am very eager to see him fight Ben Rothwell so he can’t hold back.

@ktru-
    commenting on caps lock doesn’t add anything to the dialog…

• Johnnybigone says:

People are jumping to way too many conclusions over this fight. Give him a legitimate opponent with a full training camp before you decide he’s over the hill.

And I did see initially what looked to be a pretty quick Cro Cop right at the start, before he apparently started feeling bad for the guy. But this fight really doesn’t add or take away from my impression of Cro Cop, I’ll just have to wait till the next one.