Lytle the Bounty Hunter

He may go by the moniker of “Lights Out”, but you can rest assured that Chris Lytle has no problem paying his electric bill.

It’s a fact: Chris Lytle is not only one of the most consistently exciting fighters to watch currently in the UFC, but in the history of the sport for that matter.

This UFC bonus check recovery specialist has taken being among the top earners in the promotion into his own hands, capturing a total of seven performance dictated bonus checks over the course of the last several years after making a conscious decision to focus almost exclusively on being known as one of the most electrifying athletes of mixed martial arts.

In total it has been four “Fight of the Night” honors, two “Submission of the Night” checks and a “Knockout of the Night” bonus that has helped to factually legitimize Lytle as a bonafide bad ass that likely has the late Arturo Gatti looking down on the Indiana based fireman, nodding his head in approval.

“That’s my main goal this year, when people here that I’m going to be on the card I want them to want to order the pay-per-view because they know it’s going to be an exciting fight,” said Lytle in a January 2009 conversation with FiveOuncesofPain.com. “I want to be in high demand and I want people to want to see my fights.

“I want to make sure that by the end of this year for everyone to want to see every fight I’m in. I want to be the kind of fighter that makes people want to buy pay per views just because I’m going to be on it.”

Mission accomplished, Chris. Well played.

All in all, Lytle has captured a grand total of $310,000 over the last two and a half years in FOTN bonus checks alone. Of course, that’s not counting the walking highlight reel’s guaranteed “show” and possible win money.

The moral of the story is that I could easily think of more than a handful of highly rated fighters that could do themselves a great service by taking a few notes from Lytle. I’ve heard the same consistently dull fighters promise excitement time and time again with no results, but action speaks louder than words, and of course money most definitely talks while empty promises walk.

Check out the fruits of Lytle’s hard work below:

$40,000 for “Submission of the Night” inverted triangle/straight armbar over Jason Gilliam during UFC 73 on July 7, 2007

$55,000 for “Fight of the Night” honors against Thiago Alves during UFC 78 on November 17, 2007

$60,000 for “Knockout of the Night” over Kyle Bradley during UFC 81 on February 2, 2008

$40,000 for “Fight of the Night” honors against Paul Taylor during UFC 89 on October 18, 2008

$40,000 for “Fight of the Night” honors against Marcus Davis during UFC 93 on January 17, 2009

$25,000 for “Fight of the Night” honors against Kevin Burns during The Ultimate Finale 9 on June 20, 2009

$50,000 for “Submission of the Night” kneebar over Brian Foster during UFC 110 on February 21, 2009

• cdrg says:

wellllll, he might be getting the bonus checks but bonus checks wont get you a belt, WHICH i dont expect him to be fighting for anytime (ever). personaly he will always be a gate keeper to me, meaning that if you can beat him you may be ready to fight the top fighters in the division. But i could really care less if he wins or looses. but i dont have anything against him thoe. he,s just an OK fighter.

• helterskelter says:

The article’s not called “Chris Lytle – future champion”

• fanoftna33 says:

He is a fun fighter to watch, but only winning fights with new/up and comers is a bad place to be in and Lytle sure does make the best of it. We all know if Lytle is on the card we get to see a good fight, I really hope they throw Nate Diaz in with him because a Diaz Lytle fight (either Diaz would be a great fight) would be great on any PPV.

• ctownhood says:

cdrg: wellllll, he might be getting the bonus checks but bonus checks wont get you a belt, WHICH i dont expect him to be fighting for anytime (ever). .  (Quote)

cdrg…fair statement…he probably will never contend for a tile. But guess what? Alot of exciting, good fighters are in that same boat. Like:

LW – Everyone except BJ Penn. The title is his as long as he wants it
    WW – Same for GSP
    MW- Same for SIlva
    LHW – Ouside of Machida, Rua..maybe Evans or Rampage…no one else is champion material YET. A lot of good prospects though (Bones Jones, being at the top of that list)
    HW – Lesnar’s belt as long as he is healthy and hungry. Some good potential matchups, but he is clearly the top dog.

Guys like Guida, Tyson Griffin, Marcus Davis, Dustin Hazelett, etc are all exciting and good fighters, but none of them will ever be a champion in the UFC

• hindsightufuk says:

hey Fan, Nick Diaz and Chris Lyttle actually fought on an IFC card years ago. I think i may have the dvd as it goes and i’m gonna dig it out and watch it tonight, cos i cant remember what it was like. i remember Nick winning a decision tho.

I’d like to see him fight Paulo Thiago personally

• Angry Mike says:

Dude’s a warrior, and I don’t throw that term around casually.

• hindsightufuk says:

• redness says:

would love to see him bang aganist the new york bad ass….

wish I could get a bonus that big for KO or submitting a co-worker…. DAMN!

• fanoftna33 says:

I bet when you watch that fight, Hindsight, it will be a good slugfest. But the ground game thoes two could put on would be refreshing to see.

• xtreme_machine says:

hindsightufuk: forgot to say, i been a fan of his since the Robbie Lawler fight in 2003, which is still one of my favourite testosterone filled 15 minutes!i vaguely remember his Pancrase days but the UFC debut against Lawler is when he first really stood out to me

dude i checked out that fight after reading your comment and

man that was a good fight, a [email protected] *****
    too bad they did not had Fight Of The Nigh bonus back them because they would have won it for sure

• Rich S. says:

Yeah, I’m with hindsight, after the Lawler/Lytle fight back in the day, they both skyrocketed to the top of my “favorite fighters” list.. And they’re both still reeking havoc today..

You know, I throw around my dislikes for Lytle’s mindset (punch until one of us goes down), but, I guess it is making him filthy rich.. I love his Jiu Jitsu so I would like to see it more often, and I just think he’s an awesome dude, so I would like to see him win more often.. He has beast striking, but let’s face it, it’s not really getting him anywhere.. Any time he steps in with a top contender, he’s sent back to the scrubs, but I KNOW he has the ability to beat some of these guys..

Ah, I guess I’m just ranting again..

Just look at it this way..
    Go down the list looking at his standup wars..
    Pracitcally all of them went the distance..
    Now look at all his submission victories..
    None of them lasted more than 10 minutes and most of them came within the first couple minutes of the fight..

I don’t mind watching all these wars of his, I just know he’s capable of so much more and we don’t get to see it..

• Chris Lytle is a straight fearless, a fight fans fighter. Lytle gets in there and fights and does it well. Period.

• hindsightufuk says:

thinking about it, a rematch between Lytle and Matt Brown would be supremely dope. i never saw their first fight but i reckon they would put on one hell of a show right now

• PLANETSTOMP says:

kudos all the way around-as far as lytle goes-he is a true warrior

• KTru says:

always been a fan of his.
    my old roommate trained with him for a bit, and says Lytle is a good person overall. Plus how can you not like a guy who has never been finished? Those bonuses come in handy, considering firefighters don’t get paid well for everything they do.

• Rich S. says:

It is pretty amazing that he has fought 50+ times, against top competition, title contenders, and even champions, and has only lost to the final bell and cuts..

I’m not sure if any other fighter can say that..

• mcvojp01 says:

He is amazing, i love to watch him, i am from ft wayne indiana!

• Davey D says:

I had the oppertunity to meet Chris Lytle in Columbus at UFC 96 last year. He was probably the coolest one out of everybody I met that weekend. I was at Gordon Biersch talking to Shawn Tompkins and Chris Horidecki. I snapped a photo of them with my phone and was about to move on. I got a tap on my shoulder and turned around and there was Lytle. He goes thats a sweet phone, I got the same one (VRZ EnV2). I showed him my screen pic with some Round 5 figures on it and we had a laugh. I told him they need to give him an axe if they make one of him. We spoke for about 15 minutes about various stuff. He said Thiago Alves hits like a ton of bricks. Very cool person and a stand up guy.

I hope Chris is able to fight for the UFC WW title someday. It’ll be hard but I believe he can make it there. It would be even better if it were against GSP. I think that fight would be outstanding.