Jake Shields vs. Dan Henderson set for Strikeforce in April

A Strikeforce middleweight championship bout between Jake Shields and Dan Henderson is set in stone for April.

According to Shields in a recent conversation with MMAWeekly Radio, the highly anticipated match-up is a done and done.

“It’s a go now. We finally worked it out a few days ago,” said Shields. “It’s a done deal, it’s been agreed upon by both parties as far as I know, and I think it’s set to go.”

While the bout will take place in April and appears likely to take place on a CBS card, Shields says that nothing is official as far as where the event will be broadcast is concerned.

“I have a date (and) venue, but they told me to hold that back,” said Shields. “Hopefully CBS. I think it’s CBS. There’s a slight possibility of Showtime because they’re still (working it out). I don’t know the rest of the card or any of that yet. But me and Dan’s on, and I’m hoping it’s on CBS.”

Shields was last seen in action winning a unanimous decision over Jason “Mayhem” Miller during “Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers”, while Henderson’s last trip to the cage resulted in a brutal knockout over Michael Bisping at UFC 100.

• Guthookd says:

Finally. I’m actually really excited about this and if it’s on CBS I’m going to be freakin’ elated!

An awesome opportunity for Sheilds to beat a former Pride champ and a name straight from UFC 100, not to mention a guy who just about ended Bing’s life. We all know MMA math doesn’t workout, but there are about a million people out there who would be working it out in their heads.

The opportunity for Henderson is obvious.

I’m leaning toward Hendo for the GnP win, but I wouldn’t mind if Shields pulled out something special.

• Angry Mike says:

Throwing Shields in with Henderson is like throwing a chihuaha in with an alligator. Henderson can neutralize Shields’ wrestling, manhandle him in the clinch, and knock his head into the cheap seats with his overhand right.

• Dufresne says:

Shields is a good fighter, but he’s gonna get manhandled.

Shields is a small MW and Hendo used to be a LHW champ, the size difference alone is gonna be a problem. Throw in the fact that Hendo is an Olympic caliber wrestler and I doubt we’ll ever even see Shields submission game, which is by far the best shot he has at pulling the upset.

• Kamakosmo says:

Angry Mike says:
    “Throwing Shields in with Henderson is like throwing a chihuaha in with an alligator”

Hey! I take offense to that!! My chihuahua is a bad-ass!! LOL! Although, I’m gonna have to agree with you on this. Henderson wins by head removal….

• fanoftna33 says:

I think this is a great chance for Shields to prove his worth as a fighter to many. Both guys are wrestlers first with Dan having the better background but not really using it much lately. If Jake can avoid any real trouble with Dans power, and nothing tells me he cant do it, Jake can tire Dan out and probably get the decision or submission win late in the fight.

Not for nothing SF is kidding with this April card right… one fight officially announced so far?? who tha fuck does marketing and advertising for them??? they have no clue how to develop there business and its brand… I don’t get it…

• Makington says:

I’m actually surprised they have a fight announces so far. Not kidding, my first though when I saw the headline was, ‘They have this scheduled for April? But it’s not April yet…’

• mu_shin says:

Lots of support for Angry Mike’s position, and if the fight follows a toe to toe macho scenario, I couldn’t agree more. Jake Shields has the footwork, hand speed, and ring savvy to give Henderson some problems, but only if he avoids trying to prove how tough he is and stands flat footed in front of the bigger stronger opponent. If Shields trys to time Henderson’s overhand right, and can avoid that huge mistake we all saw Michael Bisping make, I think the chihuaua might just be able to elude the alligator, and at least make this an interesting contest.

The wrestling elements pretty clearly go to Henderson, but again, if Shields can play it cool, try not to match strength with strength and survive a ground assault, shooting for the later rounds, this match could be less a rout than a real five round battle for the belt. Both of these guys have demonstrated good gas tanks and high levels of endurance, so here’s one fan hoping it’s not a one sided beat down, but a well fought championship struggle that the best man wins.

As for Strikeforce’s business model and PR protocols, it’s a mystery…

• Guthookd says:

God damn. We have some negative-nellys on here.

My fingers are crossed that this will be a good battle.

• cdrg says:

shields is good but not that good, henderson is top prime in the sport and shields is——————————–well, just ok. Dan by KO/TKO.

• hindsightufuk says:

chuffed this is gonna happen, no idea which way this will go, i’m happy to watch and enjoy. though i doubt it will be action packed

• Lethal Liquid says:

• xtreme_machine says:

Lethal Liquid: Shields doesn’t have to worry about sleeping that night because Dan gonna tuck his ass in with overhand right

+ 1

• KTru says:

Shields is in a no-lose situation

He loses, he leaves Strikeforce, comes to the UFC, cuts to his better fighting weight, and a much anticipated bout with GSP.

• PLANETSTOMP says:

alright -here it goes-henderson manhandles shields-pretty boring fight-bloody decision for dan

• PLANETSTOMP says:

pretty interesting ktru-currently watching good morning vietnam-i think that jake shields wrestling is extremely underrated-hence why i stated earlier that dan wins a boring decision

• ctownhood says:

KTru: Shields is in a no-lose situationHe wins, he beats a legend and solidifies his career as a multi-weight champion.

• Guthookd says:

ctownhood: True…a loss would mean he would probably end up in the UFC. But a bout with GSP? He would be murdered by GSP. He could not handle GSP on the feet, and doubt he could take GSP down.  (Quote)

Ahhhh…..why would a loss to Henderson put Sheilds in the UFC? I don’t follow.

• edbuzz says:

Gentlemen,

This is a young man’s sport. Jake Shields will dominate Dan Henderson from start to finish. He’ll have learned from Bisping’s mistake and avoid the overhand right, much like Sugar Rashad Evans beat aging veteran Chuck Lidell to the punch, so will Shields beat Hendo to the punch. Hendo will tire from chasing him. In the fourth and fifth rounds Hendo will be gassed and Shields will pound him to a decision victory on all three judges cards, say 49-46.

Bet the house on the dog and make a fortune!

• Creature says:

edbuzz u obviously dont have a clue about what ur talking about, randy couture is 46 and still dominating.. saying just cuz hendo is older he will get domnated is stupid.

Hendo may be an older guy but he is still more dangerous then almost any fighter at MW in the world, with his Great wrestling, power, and sub defense, it will be a short night 4 shields..

bisping was younger and faster.. and what happened? HUGE KO by hendo and i think its gonna happen again with shields.. dont get me wrong shields is an excellent fighter, but hendo is on another level