FiveOuncesofPain MMA Rankings Updated – 2/24/10

With the enormous talent pool currently inhabiting the biggest fight promotion on the planet, it’s nearly impossible for a major UFC to take place without a few minor tweeks in mixed martial arts rankings that follow closely behind.

Make sure to check out the all of the FiveOuncesofpain.com Rankings to see what changes UFC 110 has forced.

A few of the most recent changes to the official 5 Oz. rankings include Cain Velasquez taking Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira‘s spot at heavyweight with the AKA trained fighter’s recent beating of the legend, while Nogueira slides to the six spot just behind his friend and training partner, Junior dos Santos.

Nogueira also falls from the 5 Oz. pound-4-pound rankings with the defeat (previously #9).

Two losses in his previous three bouts for Thiago Silva have left room for the undefeated Ryan Bader to take his place at the ten spot at 205 pounds. “Darth” makes his debut on the 5 Oz. light heavyweight rankings with the win over Keith Jardine at UFC 110, his fourth straight in the UFC.

Be sure to check out the middleweight rankings as well to see if and where “The Axe Murderer” may have made his debut.

• KTru says:

I love lists like these because they are so subjective and opinionated. People arguing their biased beliefs are amusing and healthy, if it does not get out of hand……

• MCM says:

I like how Josh Grispi, and Scott Jorgenson both managed to make it into the top 10 AND stay on the honorable mention list.;)

• Jak says:

Good rankings overall. Nothing really that far out of place.

I don’t have a problem with Ryan Bader making the list, but i personally think as soon as he faces a top LHW his stand up is going to be his achilles. Just like Koscheck and Evans, big power but fundamentally slower than the top strikers who also have well rounded TD defence.

I dunno… it’s hard to be fair with these rankings… I agree with some & some not so much but hat’s off to the Admin. cause I wouldn’t even bother trying to put together a list that made sense with out bias…

• cere says:

Overall, pretty well thoughtout rankings…but how the hell did Dan Hardy make the WW list?

• cdrg says:

i like the rankings but i still think that if carwin is to be in the rankings he should be in the 10th spot.
    Cain is just about right thoe!

• cdrg says:

how the hell is cheal in second! WTF!!!!!!!!!!! he is at the most 6th or 7th!

• savage henry says:

how can Lil Nog be the 7th best p4p, when he’s also the 7th best LHW?

• crane_style says:

Sigh. BJ still ahead of GSP in the pound for pound? Stay tuned for other similar rankings…

The Colts are a better p4p football team than the Saints.

John McCain is a better p4p politician than Obama.

Sand is a better p4p lubricant than oil.

• Hume says:

Cory,

I respect your opinion, but I am very skeptical of your p4p rankings, specifically putting Machida ahead of GSP and Penn. The two latter fighters have completely cleared out their respective weight classes. Machida, on the other hand, was victorious (via decision) against an over-the-hill Ortiz, and then impressive wins over Silva and Evans, and finally an extremely controversial victory over Rua. I’d like to hear the reasoning behind your decision.

• Jarome_Turner says:

For the record, I hate them both. Just looking for logic in these lists.

Oh, and BJ is better than GSP p4p IMO. Just not at welterweight.

• crane_style says:

Jarome_Turner: Again this makes no sense. How can Lesnar be ranked #2 at heavyweight, but not on the p4p list, yet Mir #7 p4p, but well below lesnar at heavyweight? This would only make sense if they were fighting in different weight classes, which they aren’t.For the record, I hate them both. Just looking for logic in these lists.Oh, and BJ is better than GSP p4p IMO. Just not at welterweight.

So what your saying is, if BJ and GSP weighed the same, pound for pound, BJ would win? Like if you added an extra 15 pounds to BJ, he could suddenly handle George?

Then why hasn’t he? it’s not like they haven’t fought twice.

You guys with this strange belief in BJ crack me up. Mir was about 40-50lbs less than Lesnar last time the fought. So I guess because Mir was smaller, even though he lost, he’s a better p4p fighter than Brock? Please.

If GSP had sat on his *ss and not worked hard to build up his strength, he could probably make the cut to 155lb. He’s only an inch taller than BJ. And if did, he did still push BJ all over the ring.

IMO.

• Hume says:

I think one can make a reasonable argument that BJ Penn is more dominant at 155 than GSP is at 170, thus the higher p4p ranking. I do not agree with this, but reasonable minds can differ. No one touches Penn at 155 and no one touches GSP at 170. But in my opinion it is unfair to hold it against 155 lb Penn that he cannot beat GSP at 170. Should we hold it against GSP if he gets taken apart by Anderson Silva at 185? Its silly, especially considering Penn didnt ask for a year or so to get his body accustomed to a higher weight class.

• crane_style says:

I do think that if GSP went to 185 and lost to Silva, I wouldn’t hold it against him, but I’d still say he lost to a better p4p fighter.

Seems like you could ask 5 different people what p4p means and get 5 different answers. But no matter what definition of p4p you use, GSP comes out ahead.

Both guys are dominant, no question. I don’t see BJ being more dominant 155 than GSP at 170. Who did BJ beat to win the belt? Jens Pulver. GSP beat Matt Hughes in his prime. Bit of a gap there.

And being dominant is relative to the competition. Who are the other “big” guns at 155? Florian, Edgars, Sherk, Diaz and Sanchez? Not exactly murders row.

GSP has had more fights with better opponents. He had to deal with Alves, Fitch, Hughes, Serra and Koscheck. BJ has defended his title 4 times, GSP has made 6 straight.

• Hume says:

crane_style,

I completely agree. This is the exact same argument I make as to why I think GSP should be ranked higher p4p.

• LiverPunch says:

P4P means nothing at all, so don’t get upset.
    “If BJ was 50 pds heavier and could keep all of the attributes he now has would he beat Fedor?”.
    is like saying
    “If Batman was able to make a bat-a-rang out of Kriptonite, would he beat Superman?”.

• jtanner33 says:

People I think one of the reasons they put BJ over GSP is because of the massive beat down he put on diego sanchez, that was just unreal, but GSP still is and always be the man haha