Cro Cop: I am very sorry that I had to hurt Perosh

After posting the 20th stoppage in his legendary career, Mirko “CroCop” Filipovic said he held back in his fight against Anthony Perosh at UFC 110. In a interview given to a Croatian television station, upon his return to his homeland, Filipovic stated he relented in his attack out of consideration for Perosh.

“I admire Perosh for accepting the fight,” said Cro Cop to Fighters Only Magazine. “There were much better fighters there who turned it down but I understand why; they did not have time to prepare. I am very sorry that I had to hurt Perosh. I tried to fight with as much consideration for him as I could. I even avoided the ground because I am 7, 8 kilos heavier than he is.”

During the fight it was evident Cro Cop was tentative in going in for the kill after he opened up a cut on Perosh from a huge elbow, a stark contrast from one of the best finishers in MMA.

Mirko also commented on UFC President Dana White’s post fight questions on why the Croatian didn’t finish off Perosh, “I just couldn’t do that to him when he was so bloody,” he said.

However, good news has struck for Anthony Perosh. Reports are that Australian fighter, who took the fight on two days notice, has been offered a four-fight contract for accepting the fight against Filipovic.

• Hohlraum says:

Well CC, we didn’t see you actually finishing him so you’ll have to settle for a cut.

• Dufresne says:

From what I understand, Cro Cop and Perosh have trained together and may be friends as well. After the cut it was obvious that Cro Cop had won, and even though I was one of the ones pulling for him to go for the finish, I have to respect his decision to not further injure an obviously over matched opponent.

• Guthookd says:

I’m surprised to hear Cop say that. I do admire the fact that he has human feelings though, and that he is not afraid to express them.

On the other hand, it all worked out. Cop got a win, but Perosh got to show heart and ended up with a contract. I don’t think it could have gone down any better.

Now, lets see Perosh vs. Herring or Botsch (Sp?…Tim Bosch?). I don’t care if he never wins…..as long as he never gives up without being KOd or submitted than he is alright in my book.

Go Perosh!!

• Angry Mike says:

I said it before, and I’ll say it again. Cro Cop showed class and sportsmanship all the way. “Finishing” Perosh would’ve have been pointless barbarity. Perosh was obviously outclassed, so a highlight reel ko would have hurt him and done nothing for Cro Cop’s resume. Furthermore, do White, UFC and true fans really want to see somebody seriously hurt? How does that help the sport? (The answer is that it doesn’t.) Dramatic finishes are part of the sport, but it’s not a sport if one of the fighters is clearly overmatched and not competitive.

• AlphaOmega says:

I’m happy for Perosh.

• JabCrossHook says:

• Makington says:

Although I’m personally for teammate vs teammate matchups, this goes to show the complications. I realize that if you had your teammate on the ground bloody and already beaten basically, it would be very hard to deliver that last final punch that could potentially seriously hurt the guy. Or if you had one of your best friends in an armbar, would you break his arm? I don’t know…

I admire CroCop’s integrity and respect as much as I admire Perosh’s heart for not quitting. I don’t know if it was enough to give Perosh a spot in the UFC though. Granted he is not a heavyweight fighter, he got thoroughly dominated by a fighter seen by many to be a shell of his former self. And articles like this where CroCop (rightfully) said he was taking it easy on him show how outclassed he truly was. How do you think he would hold up in the toughest division in the UFC? He might get one more fight but I can’t see him beating anyone other than maybe TUF castaways.

Two different spectrums of the HW division shown this week by 2 very different HW’s:

Compassion and restraint on Cro Cop’s end and…

Ruthless aggression and self indulgence from Mir…

• Makington says:

JabCrossHook: Cro Cop looked kind of gassed and tired to go for the finish when I was watching the fight. Maybe I’m wrong but it still seemed like he was out of gas. Also Guthooked Tim Boetsch got cut from the UFC he’s also LHW not HW. Honestly I liked Tim the Barbarian, all his fights were exciting, and he got cut after one decision loss to Jason Blitz or something.

He also got TKO’d by Hamill before that, as well as the upset decision loss to Brilz. But Perosh is a natural LHW. He weighed in like 215 for heayweight fight, which is unheard of these days.

• Rich S. says:

So, hopefully he won’t be so forgiving of his next opponent?

I thought he seemed more confident and powerful in this fight, so if he only left out the killer instinct because he had respect for the guy, his next fight should be pretty good..

• hindsightufuk says:

i was thinking that maybe cro cop should work more on his ground and pound in fights these days.
    he’s clearly not as comfortable standing as he used to be, and we saw how quickly he could do damage from Anthony’s guard, i think he would be more effective there. of course he then needs to work on take downs, but its an idea

• JabCrossHook says:

Makington:
    He also got TKO’d by Hamill before that, as well as the upset decision loss to Brilz. But Perosh is a natural LHW. He weighed in like 215 forheayweight fight, which is unheard of these days.

Yeah but he almost TKOed Hamill in the first round, its not like he was dominated. Also Brilz did control the fight but he barely did any damage.

• I agree with Cro. Why hurt somebody badly when the win is for sure. When you have somebodies number you have it. They know what can happen and respect you do just more than enough to get the job done.

Good for Cro.

• Rampage says:

Cro Cop is a chick……If you can’t finish a fight, then go police something……