Frank Mir: I want to break Brock’s neck

Frank Mir’s seemingly unhealthy obsession with UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, has just reached a new low. In a recent radio interview, Mir took his hatred towards the champion to a new level, stating he wants Brock Lesnar to be the first person to die in the octagon.

“A lot of individuals are so worried about being politically correct,” Mir said in an interview on WXDX radio. “I’d rather go ahead and say what’s on my mind than to sit there and come up with some PC, ‘Oh, the guy is a great fighter and I have a lot of respect for him’. If I don’t mean it, why is it even coming out of my mouth? I want to fight Lesnar. I hate who he is as a person. I want to break his neck in the ring. I want him to be the first person that dies due to Octagon-related injuries. That’s what’s going through my mind.”

Whether his comments were said with a degree of tongue in cheek, or his way of building up a future third meeting between the two, remarks of this nature are not only out of line, but disrespectful to the sport of MMA.

Zuffa, along with other notable organizations, have worked hard to distance themselves from the barbaric days of old, and comments like these do nothing further this assessment. Mir, who regularly speaks of honor and sportsmanship, has reached beyond normal trash talk with comments of this nature.

Whats even worse is prior to his comments about wanting to end Lesnar’s life in the octagon; Mir spoke of role models in MMA. “He doesn’t like me and I can guarantee, you talk to anybody in my family, it’s a legitimate hate,” Mir said of Lesnar. “His very being bugs me just because I’ve seen a lot of children out there who look to athletes and martial artists as role models, and it just makes me cringe. I sit there and go, ‘Man, I lost to this guy the second time around and now people think that’s the way to be big, obnoxious and angry.’ That’s not right. We have anger toward each other. Everything I stand for he despises and dislikes, and I can tell you I truly do not like him as a person whatsoever.”

Its comments like these that completely justify Lesnar’s reaction after their last meeting at UFC 100. Lesnar took a lot of backlash for his after fight antics, with reports belittling the champion for his WWE type celebration. And its comments like these that would justify the same reaction, if and when, the two meet again.

However, prior to Mir getting his hands on Lesnar, he first has to get past the behemoth of a man, in Shane Carwin, the man he called a “better version of Lesnar.” Mir said, “He poses the same threat as Brock does as far as his wrestling ability, but Carwin has knocked out several people now, no one has made it past the first round with this guy.”

Maybe Mir should concentrate on his upcoming match up with Carwin at UFC 111, rather than obsessing over the guy behind the guy.

• Unabomberman says:

Frankie…that’s fucked up…

Go, have a walk, eat a cookie. Just caaalm down.

How’s he gonna prove he’s different than Brock by breaking his neck? If anything, he’d be worse.

I do know it’s figurative speech, but damn, Frankie is mad.

• jj says:

Kids need role models, one’s who promote killing people–of course. I used to really like Frank Mir, but the more he opens his mouth the more I can’t wait for Brock Lesnar to shut it again. Frank Mir is MMA’s biggest hypocrite.

This has gone from creepy stalker to cringe-worthy death threats from someone that sounds like they died inside when they lost to Lesnar the last time out. Grow up Mir, you have no honour at all.

Is it really that smart to say these sorts of things to someone who may be given a choice to be nice to you while your unconscious, or maybe Lesnar might feel like dropping in for one last Dan Henderson flying hammer fist?

• mersault says:

Funny thing is I am actually a Mir fan.

• cdrg says:

well Im a Mir fan, BUT! he does need to check his words, we do want to atract people to the sport not scare them away.
    I would LOVE for you to beat the sh!t out of lesnar, but not kill him. wellllllll, maybe break his nose or ancle.
    Oh and if you wont do it, we can always count on Cain!

• Unabomberman says:

mersault: Bring it down a couple of notches Mir. He can’t say he is promoting as fight or trying to hype it up a bit. He still needs to fight Carwin.You know with all the muscle Mir has put on, and now with all these crazy ass statements, maybe he needs to checked for roids himself. Seems a little roid rage-ish to me.Funny thing is I am actually a Mir fan.

I’m a Mir fan, too, but saying “I want him to be the first person that dies due to Octagon-related injuries,” is a bit pushing it, if you ask me.

Dude should take a chill pill.

• Sans_Peur says:

jj: …or maybe Lesnar might feel like dropping in for one last Dan Henderson flying hammer fist?

This was great… definitely got a laugh from me. I agree on all points with the article and the posts thus far – Mir should have a coke and a smile. There are ways to hype a fight, and there are ways to have restraining orders put against you. I know they say that there’s no such thing as bad publicity, but Mir had a chance to set himself up as the anti-Lesnar, the likable guy who stood for everything that Lesnar’s antics degraded, a paragon of sportsmanship and budo, but apparently he’s decided to take the low road. Sad, really.

PS: Does anyone else think that Frank Mir kind of looks like Nick Hexum from 311? I saw a concert of theirs on HDNet and was stunned. Find a picture of Nick with short hair and a soul patch… it’s crazy.

• retrofitting123 says:

damn,hes gone nuts.he still has to fight carwin .i remember ppl saying he was looking past kongo and now hes doin the same w carwin.maybe he has a 30 second plan to flatten carwin aswell….

FUNNY HOW FRANK SEZ THIS AFTER THERES A CHANCE CAIN MAY GET A SHOT FIRST….

THIS IS CLASSIC MIR KEEPING HIS GOALS AND HIMSELF RELEVANT…. ALL PRESS IS GOOD PRESS AND HE CAN SELL A FIGHT LIKE NO OTHER…

I DON’T AGREE WITH THE COMMENTS HE MADE BUT IM NOT PUTTING FOOD ON HIS TABLE HE IS AND YOU BETTER DAMN WELL ACKNOWLEDGE THE FACT THAT HE ISNT LETTIGNG ANYBODY GET IN THE WAY OF HIM GETTING ONE MORE SHOT AT BROCK…

FRANK MIR IS ON A MISSION… I THINK HE WILL EITHER DESTROY BROCK OR HIMSELF ON THE WAY TO ATTAINING HIS GOAL.
    EITHER WAY ITS GOING TO BE MADNESS…

P.S. THIS STORY IS FROM LIKE 2 DAYS AGO

• hindsightufuk says:

makes it hard for you to support Frank when he says something so dumb.

i dont actually care to tell the truth, had been speaking about a fighter i had respect for it might be different. i dont actually like either of them

• Guthookd says:

Those are some harsh words for sure…..I just hope he gets through Carwin so he gets the chance.

I wouldn’t say Brock deserves death for his ridiculous antics, but a firm spanking from anyone would do him good IMO. If Frank gets a choke or joint lock and he wants to squeeze a little extra, that’s fine by me. If he gets another compound fracture submission victory I will not be sad for a single second.

• JOEgun says:

Frank Mir needs serious help. Step one: meet with doctor Carwin next month for some fist to the face therapy which will hopefully knock the crazy out of him. Go Carwin!! Go Lesnar!!

• Angry Mike says:

Take some advice from another famous Frankie: “Relax. Don’t do it.”

• Kamakosmo says:

“….but the more he opens his mouth the more I can’t wait for Brock Lesnar to shut it again.”

It will not come to this due to the fact that Carwin is going to put Mir’s teeth into the back of his throat.

• Xspur says:

Put yourself in Mirs’ shoes.

If I was beaten and humiliated like that, it would definitely get to me mentally. i could totally see myself acting the same way Mir is. Commenting about wanting to kill someone is over the top though, and I’m sure Mir knows that. You know that when Frank walks through Carwin, all this will make for huge ppv numbers for the rematch. I just hope the UFC gives Lesner a tune up non title fight so there can be no excuses when Mir beats him.

• I detest Lesnar as a person myself. I don’t think that Mir should have taken it that far on the radio though. He could have just left it at what the article quoted from Mir, kids needing roll models and such. I think Lesnar is a untamed human animal as well. He caused fights in the NFL, with is own teammates and comes off like a meat head more often than not. I can see where Mir is coming from but, Mir should have taken those thoughts to Dana or just left them in the ring and not given those words to the delicate minds of children and some fragile adults to think about.

Sincerely FightFan313 and Still a Mir Fan …whoop whoop.

Then why report on it ??

Sticks and stones….

• Xspur says:

Rece Rock: “…remarks of this nature are not only out of line, but disrespectful to the sport of MMA.”Then why report on it ??Cause just like Frank Mir intended to draw attention to himself…you want to use the content to attract ppl to the column.Like I said the story is like 2 days old… if this is a black eye for MMA then why report on it?? It’s not like the entire country or world gets the radio station that he was being interviewed by so why keep pushing his controversial comments if there going to hurt the sport we all love and some ppl who make money on the sport ??
    Sticks and stones….

Agreed.
    It’s not simply “news” when you add your opinion. And if your opinion is that it’s bad for the sport, reporting it then is hypocritical.

• PLANETSTOMP says:

lets face it -frank mir lost twice to lesnar-i truly believe that carwin is going to knock out mir-let the debate begin

• robby says:

well i agree with honesty but this is going too far . i am surprised by this because frank mir is usually more old school martial arts respect honor etc. i think this more and more to get lesnar worked up so he fights out of anger and leaves openings for mir to exploite. remembering to keep chest tight on chest goes out the window when rage takes over and if you give a n experienced ju jitsue practituioner room to move all of a sudden you are choked out. so i hope this is why frank is saying these things or i will have lost a lot of respect for him.

• Rece Rock: “…? It’s not like the entire country or world gets the radio station

the Whole World did here that radio interview in one way or another…. which is why the 2 day old story is still here and being talked about.

@ FightFan313 :

• PLANETSTOMP says:

carwin is going to own mir-i dont care how much weight mir puts on-i think mir is a great fighter-its just a new age of big boys that can fight

@ PLANETSTOMP

Seriously… Cain is on the come up but his undefeated record is a bit inflated with some less then stellar competition… Cain hasn’t even been out of the first round… yea that sounds good on paper but he’s a big boy, ever think he may gas mid way through the 2nd?? and above all he hasn’t fought anybody on Mir’s level yet… Mir makes it out of the first round and it’s a whole new ball game… I think it’s Mir for the win.

• PLANETSTOMP says:

hey rece-no disrespect-but do you even know what you are talking about?-cain has been out of the first round and has looked fantastic-i wont go in to detail-it should be obvious to any mma fan

• primetime says:

I agree Planetstomp and I’ll go into detail…he went the distance with Kongo and won all 3 rounds…never gassed out. Also left the first round in 2 other UFC fights. Not to mention the fight last Saturday night…pretty big win against a game opponent.

@ PLANET STOMP

I meant CARWIN…. sorry almighty MMA fan.

• Kamakosmo says:

…..Mir makes it out of the first round and it’s a whole new ball game.” This may not mean anything but, Mir’s career:
    17 Fights, 12-4
    12x Rd 1, 3 losses
    4x Rd 2, 1 loss
    1x Rd 3

While I know Carwin hasn’t had any fights past the 2nd, Mir only has 5. While I know that’s more than zero, it’s not exactly a testament to his ability to go 3 solid rounds (which won’t happen anyway)
    I do not think Mir’s strategy is to play the waiting game on Carwin and hope to tire him out, not to smart to do against a massive puncher. My opinion is he tries the same thing he did against Kongo. Carwin has never gone up against a submission guy like Mir, and Mir knows this.

That was my mistake but I’m sure it wasn’t that difficult to figure out whom I was talking about… My error…

• Rece Rock: @ FightFan313 :we will agree to disagreee… plenty of part time fans will have no clue of these comments until the rubber match build up down the road (if Mir beats Carwin)… the story is still being talked about because news is slow and all the MMA news sites need to draw in some traffic…

lmao. agree to disagree but yet you keep talking.

@ Kamakosmo :

Just saying i’m sure Mir’s cardio is more tested then Carwin’s… and that may be a deciding factor.

@ FightFan313 :

Whatever… it’s a comment section.

• fanoftna33 says:

Mir is at the experience advantage, but Carwin with his size and wrestling advantage and power advantage should bring this in to a very fun fight to watch but I think mir will pull it out, as he has much better technique striking and great submissions.

• mu_shin says:

If someone left my face looking like Brock left Mir’s after their second encounter, I might be excused for a fleeting homicide fantasy… Can’t seem to get all worked up about a guy admitting that these thoughts pass through his head, while somewhat mystified that people are reacting to these statements like Mir is seriously threatening Lesnar’s life…

I’m a fan of both Mir and Lesnar, appreciate both of them for what they bring to the sport. For all the anxiety being expressed as to what comments like these will do the perception of MMA among casual fans, I think the sport will take care of itself beyond a few hyperbolic comments in a radio interview by a challenger obviously psyching himself up to go back in the ring with a guy who totally dominated him.

Here’s one fan wishing Frank Mir good luck in his match with Shane Carwin, and if he’s fortunate enough to prevail there, hoping to see him prove a determined fighter can raise the level of his game through hard work, dedication and perseverance. Brock represents the apex of the heavyweight pyramid, where only one man can stand, and I hope to see Mir take a strong shot at regaining that place of respect.

• bjjnewb says:

Mir is a Huge Douchebag…..The thing about the pic posted of the beating Brock laid on him is not so much that his face looks like hamburger meat. It’s the fear in his eyes that is the most telling statement about what had just transpired.

Mir is so hypocritical it is sickening…. he is everything he says he hates about Lesnar! I would also have to agree with whoever posted that there is a good chance that Mr. Mir may now be guilty of juicing a little….

I am all for hyping a fight and for him wanting to fight Lesnar to see if he can beat etc. etc. However comments like that just show how serioulsy mentally unstable Mir is.

• slammy862 says:

Why in the WORLD would you want to threaten Lesnar?

If you thought Brock was pissed last time, what now that you have threatened his life. How can Mir be so stupid as to fuel him up again?

Now you’ve crossed the line of competition and basically threatened Brock’s exsistance and family.

Frank could have stayed quiet and motivated and unleashed his hate in the ring. Now he played his hand and will meet one of the baddest-assed MFers in the ring with more personal payback on his mind.

So much for a sneak attack.

I mean wtf!

Sounds like Mir enrolled in the Mike Tyson school of media relations.

• fanoftna33 says:

Mir talks big like this to hype himself and his fights but come fight time he will fight the same way as always. He told anybody who would listen how badly he was going to mess up Wes Sims in thier second fight (Within the rules of the cage) and he gassed badly and got a hail mary ko. I like his talk but thats all it is.

• YetiLee says:

If Mir gets past Carwin and then gets his fight but loses again to Brock, I have a feeling he will either end up in a mental institution or he is going to kill himself. If Brock does beat him and really wants to stick to Mir afterward when he is talking to Rogan he should say he is going to climb on top of Mir’s wife to celebrate.

• Kamakosmo says:

Let’s say he does break Lesnar’s neck and kills him….Is this pre-meditated murder now? LOL!

• stonehands says:

Didn’t we all hear comments like this before. Maybe Mir is gonna bite Lesnar ear off just like the last guy to make stupid comments on publicly accessed media!!!

I wonder if light and dark meat taste the same? Maybe Tyson and Mir can compare notes after the fight!!!

• Lethal Liquid says:

Frank Mir is just itching 4 another ass beating. He may have put on more muscle but he still isn’t athletic enough to defend the takedown. So it will be a repeat of the last fight. That is beside the point because I think that Carwin is going to knock the cornbread stuffing out of him.

• TheZoomZoomKid says:

What a douche. Everybody seems to hate on Lesnar for his post UFC 100 fight antics, but Mir was being a complete douche in the days leading up to it and everybody seemed to just ignore that. Mir got what was coming to him and the crowd booed Lesnar for it; he shouldn’t have beaked the sponsor, but the crowd deserved those fingers for supporting Mir.

• cagefan says:

Every mma fighter should feel they have a responsiblity to help grow and promote the sport to the masses. For mma to truly become mainstream a couple things need to happen. The organizations need to keep controversy out of the sport. This includes but not limited to, steroids, fighters committing crippling or murderous acts that are premeditated.
    The UFC and Strikeforce have done a good job so far with limiting bad publicity but they can do a lot more. In my opinion there should be stringent rules of what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior. The fighters are not only representing themselves but also the organization that they work for. I am not a lawyer but I would think that if what Mir said did come true there would be a civil lawsuit started and the ufc could be liable!!
    Hey hype a fight , hate a guy ,even say its going to the death( aka bj penn vs gsp) but if u end up being beat up more than the last fight cause u added more motivation to your opponent then what? Who you gonna hate on then?

• cagefan says:

• cagefan says:

• bigbadjohn says:

Whats keeping this guy so angry. Recurring nightmares? Look frankie if you arent going to use the last 2 encounters as signs of your chances against the huge wreatler, use the Marquardt Sonnen fight as one. even at the same weight the wrestler easily overcame the much more ’rounded’ fighter. you think your added bulk is going to do anything but slow you down? Reaalllly?

• TheZoomZoomKid says:

Don’t compare Marquart to Mir; Marquart is more well-rounded.

• PLANETSTOMP says:

holy crap muffins-rece-shut up already-brocks only challenge at heavyweight is shane and cain

Planet stomp u bring so much important input to the table… Such substance in your comments. We can all learn so much from your dialog…

• PLANETSTOMP says:

i had to give you a thumbs up there rece-probably the only one you will ever receive-anyways-i stick by what i said the first time

• king mah mah says:

I love Mir’s comments. Makes me a Mir fan for life.

As Goldie would say, Man he is pure class! LOL