The Aftermath: UFC 110

To kick things off in the previous edition of “The Aftermath: UFC 109” I listed a series of fighters which I fully expected to be released from the UFC such as Frank Trigg, Justin Buccholz and Phillipe Nover, all of which have since been let go, but when examining the rubble of UFC 110 and it’s unfortunate victims it seems that this event may have had an opposite effect on the careers of a few athletes with questionable futures under the promotion.

Two fighters that will most likely NOT be cut following UFC 110:

Stephan Bonnar: Bonnar’s performance in the most pivotal bout in UFC history has cemented his place with the promotion in an extremely unique way. Luckily Saturday’s bout with Krzysztof Soszynski ended via controversial headbutt so Bonnar’s career will undoubtedly continue in the UFC with little need for explanation from the promotion considering “The American Psycho” holds the unfortunate distinction of having suffered defeats in three consecutive bouts at this point.

Keith Jardine: The sad thing about Jardine’s defeat to Ryan Bader at UFC 109 was the fact that “The Dean of Mean” actually looked better than he had in recent memory before the end came. If Keith had mounted some offense in the final three minutes of the bout that Bader made sure we didn’t get to see, we could have been looking at a decision for the master of herk-jerky-fu. Sure, Jardine’s gone 2-5 in his last seven, but look at who he’s been fighting. A case could be made for his dismissal, but I feel an even stronger case could be made for Jardine’s spot on the UFC 205 pound roster to stay intact.

With a couple exceptions… Things aren’t looking great for Igor Pokrajac from here right now. I’d expect his release to be reported in the coming hours or days. I wouldn’t hold my breath for the future of Anthony Perosh in the UFC at this point either, but at least he can say he tried.

Oh yeah, that’s right, I have a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu“. This must have been what ran through the head of Chris Lytle in the days leading up to the Indiana fireman’s UFC 110 Submission of the Night victory over Brian Foster. Lytle is a legitimately dangerous submission fighter with a black belt in BJJ, and Foster, well Foster isn’t. As a matter of fact, four of Foster’s five defeats to date have now come by way of tap out. Kudos to Lytle for doing the right thing in this bout, and still somehow managing to grab a bonus in the process.

Lytle cements his legacy as one of the most exciting fighters to watch… ever. With an unprecedented SEVEN fight of the night bonuses (1 Knockout, 2 Submission and 4 Fight of the Nights) in his last nine fights, you’d be hard pressed to argue against the fact that “Lights Out” is one of the most consistently exciting fighters not only in the UFC, but in the history of the sport. A fighter’s fighter. Well done Chris.

Could Jardine cut? This may sound completely crazy out of my mind, but seriously, does anyone think that Jardine could possibly make a drop to 185 pounds? And if so, do you think that would be a weight class where the Greg Jackson trained fighter could revitalize his career? I’m just saying…

A defeat inside of a victory for Cro Cop? I remain unconvinced that Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic is anything more than financially relevant in the UFC’s current heavyweight division. One of my favorite fighters from about five years ago looked like a shell of his old self this past Saturday evening in victory over Anthony “A Few Hours Notice” Perosh. Where was the high kick that the man is known, and used to be feared for? It was non-existent. That’s where it was. And why? Is Perosh that much of a threat? Not to an “elite level striker” he shouldn’t have been. Just like the sad time when I realized that I would no longer have any additional knockouts to add to my Mike Tyson highlight reel, I have come to the grips with the fact that the only time I will be seeing the patented left “right leg hospital, left leg cemetery” from Cro Cop will be on my old Pride DVD’s. If he couldn’t get the job done against Anthony at UFC 110, then who’s it going to be? I’d love to Mirko prove me wrong, but it seems like the fire is gone. And once the fire is out for many fighters, it’s nearly impossible to rekindle that flame.

Smile now, cry later… again. I’ve said it before after Mike Swick was recently belted off-side his head and choked out at the hands of Paulo Thiago, and I’m going to say it again following Joe Stevenson’s recent defeat to George Sotiropoulos in Australia. Stevenson seemed to be a little overly happy and upbeat heading into his UFC 110 showdown with George, while Sotiropoulos looked as if Joe had just sent a personal insult in the direction of his mother. There was obviously more than just attitude and mindset to take into account this past Saturday evening in this lightweight match-up, but attitude and mindset are two factors in any form of professional athletic combat that refuse to be ignored.

George Sotiropoulos vs. Kenny Florian anyone? I couldn’t help but notice similarities between the two lightweights both standing and on the ground as Sotiropoulos methodically picked apart Joe Stevenson this past Saturday evening. Now that George has established himself as a top-flight contender in the lightweight division with a win over a fighter like Joe Daddy, a potential match-up between the two aggressive and well-rounded 155 pounders could spell a future title shot for either man in the future if Florian looks impressive in victory over Takanori Gomi at UFC Fight Night 21, which I fully expect he will.

A revitalized “Axe Murderer”. With a win over Michael Bisping, Wanderlei Silva has officially established himself as a legitimate contender in the UFC middleweight division. It appeared as if Wanderlei had a renewed sense of timing and hand speed this past Saturday evening at 185 pounds, although the importance of getting of the win obviously affected his overall performance in the bout. With that being said, there were absolutely points where we saw the old Wanderlei in action, particularly in the closing moments of each round. If Silva had chosen to let those brief flurries go in say, the middle of any given around, we very easily could have seen the knockout many had anticipated.

Velasquez erases all doubt. The one-sided beating dished out to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira absolutely solidified Cain’s place near the top of the UFC heavyweight mountain. Velasquez displayed the type of timing and explosiveness in his striking that is rarely seen by the majority of top-level wrestlers that make the decision to make the the transition to mixed martial arts. With the victory over Big Nog in Australia, Velasquez asserted himself as a bonafide top three heavyweight in the UFC due to the fact that it has been a years time since we have last seen Shane Carwin action.

• Jak says:

I think Cro Cop felt bad for Perosh. It wasn’t an impressive win, but it’s hard to continuously beat down somebody who is giving it there all and is still not even close to having any success.

If he’s been pressured he might have fought with more killer instinct, but i bet he has guys at his own gym that put more pressure than Perosh did.

It was done after round 1 and I think everybody wanted it stopped after the cut, but it just kept going.

• Jak says:

the Velasquez doubt has come from knee jerk fans, the same fans who say he has no chin, no power and is only a one dimensional wrestler.

They might be more vocal, but being more vocal doesn’t mean those type of fans are even close to right very often. they just jump on and off of bandwagons.

Velasquez and dos Santos are to solid prospects. Can’t wait till the day they sign that fight. 😉

• retrofitting123 says:

great article. liked the jardine 185 idea ,and cains on the war path

• Guthookd says:

I was proud of Perosh my self. I just kep thinking, if I fought Cop that’s exactly what I’d do…..bleed and keep trying. He’s a man. I give props to Anthony Perosh. I hope he gets another fight.

I’m glad Wand won a fight finally, but IMO it was not as convincing as a lot of other people thought. I’ll wait until his next bout to pass judgement.

Soto vs. Florian all the way. He’s clearly ready for a step up in competition.

Cain….well….he’s our future champ. I say let him beat down the loser of Mir/Carwin and then give him Brock…..or Carwin if he beats Brock….or maybe Dos Santos, but I hope not because I don’t think DS can take him and I want DS to challenge too.

All in all……GREAT CARD!

• fanoftna33 says:

I hope we dont see Jardine down to 185 asit just seems to me anytime somebody loses a fight (or5 of 7) people want them to drop weight or do this or that and change things, hell Rogan tells us everytime we see Rashad Evans that he should drop to 185-even as he won the LHW title. I think Keith needs to fight where he is comfortable and keep at it. If the ufc cuts him he will have options but he still is a good fighter.
    Sotoropolis needs another tough test at LW before Florian like Guida or Lauzon but we will see it soon enough.
    Bader winning along with Cain winning was very surprising and both guys(as Bader isnt getting near enough press for his win) should be going from Prospect to contender sooner rather than later.

• hindsightufuk says:

i dunno about George vs Kenny. it’d sure be an entertaining fight, and i’d love to see it, but if Kenny wins it doesnt help anyone. it would be one less fighter who wont get to work his way up the ranks, and it wont take Kenny any closer to another title shot unless BJ retires.
    George may be able to beat other fighters and work his way up that way, i just think a fight with Kenny would cancel his oppurtunities to soon. Maybe send him the way Edgar and Maynard have gone, against decent opponents without having to fight Kenny/Joe/Diego/Clay etc.

• Bad Monkey says:

Did you notice how quiet it got right after Cain finished Nog? I think the crowd was really stunned by how quickly Cain beat him down. All five of the GNP punches Cain threw after he knocked Nog down landed flush on his head. A lot of guys just kind flail away when they knock a guy down, hoping the ref will stop it, but Cain drilled him with every one of those shots.

I think the biggest question with Cain vs. Brock is how will Cain handle having a monster like Lesnar on top of him? We haven’t seen Cain work off of his back yet and it’s hard to believe Brock won’t be able to put him there. BUT, I am really excited to see what Brock does when Cain cold cocks him in the face.

• supereric says:

It’s a bit questionable watching guys like Jardine and Bonnar drift around while a guy like Dennis Kang only gets one shot. Both Jardine and Bonnar have lost three straight (Jardine should be 5 with the questionable W over Vera) and haven’t looked close decent form for a years now. If your about putting on the best fights (with the best fighters) cut the dead weight and back it up.

I am so happy someone finally gave Chris Lytle his due cause that guy always comes out to put on a show.

Dos Santos = Best striker in HW and future champ

• PLANETSTOMP says:

well here it goes-cain fights dos santos next and knocks him out-carwin beats down the overly confident/arrogant mir-then loses by decision to lesnar the almighty-next up-cain versus lesnar(great fight)-cain out works him for the first two minutes then gets knocked the eff out-remember my words

• Dufresne says:

PLANETSTOMP: well here it goes-cain fights dos santos next and knocks him out

Seriously?
    Cain got rocked by Kongo, and this may sound crazy, but dos Santos is a better striker than Kongo is. Not saying Cain will get beat by Junior, just don’t see Cain being dumb enough to leave that fight standing. He might get a TKO, but there’s no way he’s gonna stand with Dos Santos.

I guess I can officially get behind Cain with that beating of Big Nog. I didn’t doubt that Cain might want to keep it standing with the BJJ master, but I did not see him getting a stoppage on the feet against a guy that took head kick from Cro Cop and kept going. I figured that Cain would try to stick and move on Nog for a while before going for takedowns with a few seconds left in each round on way to a UD, but he more than proved me wrong there.

Jardine is a victim of staying just below the top crust and thus having to fight anyone that needs to prove that they are elite. Out of his last 4 fights he’s fought an up and comer on a war path, a guy who’s only loss is to an unbeaten champ, a legendary striker and former champ, and former champ working his way back from defeat. Oh, and in case you’re wondering, all of his losses (except the one to Alexander) have come against top tier competition.

Lytle is one of my all time favorites. Period.

Wanderlei is one of my all time favorites. Period.

Oh, and back to Cain v Dos Santos. That fight has to happen. Dos Santos is unbeaten in the UFC with impressive wins, and many (including myself) think he’s being overlooked for a title shot. Add in the fact that Cain just pummeled one of his mentors and you don’t even have to work to sell that.
    Dos Santos wants to avenge his mentor and he has to prove himself against a top level wrestler before they throw him against someone like Brock, Carwin, or Mir. Cain is stuck on the sidelines until the winner of Mir v Carwin gets to fight Brock, and another win over someone like dos Santos would make him the unquestionable #1 contender against whoever ends up with the belt (although after Nog, he’s pretty much proved that anyways).

• DS says:

-Jardine, Bonnar and Lytle are all gatekeepers in their respective divisions. The main reason they’re still around is that they’re usually exciting in their bouts (win or lose). Kang, not so much.

-Still can’t believe Crocop didn’t unleash his HK at least at the end of the round. Remember Tim Sylvia vs Tra Telligman? That should be his template now.

-Wanderlei still has the power, but he’s still too loopy when it comes to his punches. I don’t think Anderson or Vitor would have a problem with him.

-I’m a Bisping fan, but he was just too tentative. Rampage should have fired him up. Bisping needs to go b*lls out against guys with more power, otherwise he’ll lose every time in the scorecards (or get picked off like with Henderson).

• DS says:

Cain’s suspect chin does come with that automatic bull-rush & TD that we saw against Kongo.

The two questions are: Has his stand-up improved enough to protect his chin -and- how bad would it be for him if he can’t get a TD following a rocking?

I can’t answer the first one, but I’d say if he keeps getting rocked and stuffed, he’s in trouble. Dos Santos better work hard on his sprawl & body clinch.

• DS says:

Guthookd: I was proud of Perosh my self.I just kep thinking, if I fought Cop that’s exactly what I’d do…..bleed and keep trying.He’s a man.I give props to Anthony Perosh.I hope he gets another fight.

Definite props to Perosh, but I really think he should have tried to tie up Crocop and pull guard like Rogan said. Just a full-on man hug with legs an’ all. On the ground with Crocop in his guard was his only real chance at doing anything.

• Bad Monkey says:

I wouldn’t get too excited about Dos Santos until he beats Gonzaga. I think he will, but Gabe has the skills to put JDS on his back and work some heavy top game. I’ve said this more than once already, but JDS has not been on his back yet in the UFC. Until he shows he can handle getting off of his back, I won’t be convinced he’s really up for a title shot.

• Makington says:

Being dropped by Kongo isn’t that weird to me. Kongo’s ground game might be as good as a turnip’s, but his striking is always good, and he does pack quite a punch. The shots he hit Cain with would have dropped most people I thought, and Cain showed an extremely level head to still go for a perfect takedown while he was totally dazed. But would it work on someone like Dos Santos, the better and stronger striker? I think that unless Junior totally knocked him out cold then Cain could still get the takedown. I don’t know if he could do it to a guy like Brock though, who outweights him by almost 40 pounds.

• Guthookd says:

Good comments all.

What I want to know is this: with all the HW talent we have layed out here, how could anyone say that SF has a deeper HW division than the UFC? I think any one of the HWs we’ve mentioned here..JDS, Gonzo, Cain, Lesnar, Mir, Carwin….could all beat the snot out of Bret Rogers, Big Foot or AA for that matter. Fedorovna is all but erased from the picture IMO.

• KRS 27 says:

I say

Bader vs Hamil
    George S vs Maynard or Sherk
    Cain vs JDS/Gonzaga
    Wandi vs Akiyama
    Bisping vs Nate, or Okami
    Jardine could cut to MW, if so, maybe fight Leben on a fight night
    Nogs vs Kongo/Buentello, or Nelson/Struve.
    Joe Daddy, I’d love to see him go to the WEC LW div, he brings a name, a tough guy, I think he easily could fight for a WEC LW title after two fights, put him in there with someone like Roller.

But if he stays in the UFC LW div, maybe the Bocek/Jim MIller winner or someone, maybe the Florian/Gomi loser, maybe Guida after his next fight.

Kyrstoff/BOnnar rematch

• hindsightufuk says:

Guthookd: Good comments all.What I want to know is this: with all the HW talent we have layed out here, how could anyone say that SF has a deeper HW division than the UFC? I think any one of the HWs we’ve mentioned here..JDS, Gonzo, Cain, Lesnar, Mir, Carwin….could all beat the snot out of Bret Rogers, Big Foot or AA for that matter.Fedorovna is all but erased from the picture IMO.

see i disagree, i think big foot, Werdum and Fedor would compete with any of those. Not saying they’d each beat all of them, but for sure some would beat some.
    it’s not a promotion thing, these are individual fighters, it’s not like all the UFC fighters stick together and say the UFC HW division is best cos they believe it, its their job to say it. UFC is deeper for sure, but there are equally good fighters in each. it doesnt need to be UFC vs Strikeforce.
    worse thing is we’ll never get to find out who would win these figths

• Angry Mike says:

I can’t criticize Cro Cop’s fight against Perosh. If Cro Cop went all out, he could’ve seriously injured Perosh, and that would’ve been pointless barbarity. According to Goldberg and Rogan, the two had trained together a little, so it was even less likely that Cro Cop was going to crush him. Cro Cop even tried to talk him out of more fight after the ref checked Perosh’s cut. Imo, Cro Cop was pure class and sportsmanship all the way in that one.

I’m not willing to say that ‘Wand is all the way back. He looked slow and tight against Bisping, who would’ve won that fight if he’d held up under Silva’s final flurry in the third. If Bisping hadn’t been knocked down, I think he should’ve won. There were a few moments when the old ‘Wand came out, but not enough. ‘Wand has to win a few more fights at 185 before he can claim to be a contender.

NIce acknowledgment of Lytle. I’ve liked that guy since his stint on TUF. And if he’d fight to win rather than just fight to entertain, he’d have an even better record.

And Florian v. Sotiropoulis would be an AWESOME fight. In fact, I’ve already suggested it.

• Guthookd says:

hindsightufuk: ….BR>worse thing is we’ll never get to find out who would win these figths  (Quote)

On that point we agree.

I guess I’m still fighting the Pride vs. UFC battle in my head….LOL.

• Rich S. says:

1. I don’t think Bonnar has a thing to worry about.. except for his record, of course.. On the other hand, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jardine cut.. Granted his losses are against the best of the best, they’re plentiful and he’s losing more frequently than ever..

2. Chris Lytle has some of the best and most diverse submissions in the Welterweight division, and in the sport for that matter.. Just go to FightFinder and look at some of his submission victories.. Rolling kneebar, Triangle Kimura, Bulldog choke… His subs are so damn slick and people don’t even know this because of his boxing.. I firmly believe that many of his last few bouts could’ve ended earlier and easier had he worked his ground game.. After his “rebirth” following the Bradley knockout, he practically vowed to stand and bang until he retires.. But, he could cause far more problems with his submissions.. I’m very surprised he went for that kneebar against Foster, seeing as how he cares very little about winning, and very much about impressing the fans, and Foster was a great candidate for helping him do that.. But, I’m glad he did.. Angry Mike said it best, if he fought to WIN he’d have a better record and he could potentially get the better fights..

3. Yes. Chris Lytle is very, very exciting and I hope he keeps a UFC contract ’til the day he retires.. There are some amazing fights for him here and there always will be.. Of course a match with Rumble is intriguing, a rematch with Brown or Alves would be nice.. And if he ever runs out of FOTN’s at Welterweight, he would have some serious power at 185.

4. I am actually thoroughly impressed with Cro Cop.. I know, he had absolutely nothing to worry about against Perosh, so it’s hard to judge if he’s actually “back”, but let’s face it, he freaking destroyed him.. The only problem I have with Cro Cop is the lack of kicks.. Without those kicks, would Cro Cop even be legendary today? Probably not.. Why not throw more kicks? Even if he doesn’t want to risk the headkick, which is crazy, his BODY kicks can end fights.. I just don’t understand why he would limit his most dangerous aspect..

I think right now, we need to see Cro Cop vs. Gilbert Yvel or Buentello for his real test..

5. Wanderlei seems to be back on track at MW, and I’m happy for him..

6. Velasquez is no doubt a contender.. I think he could beat Mir and Carwin, but I definitely don’t see him beating Brock..

• hindsightufuk says:

Guthookd:
    On that point we agree.I guess I’m still fighting the Pride vs. UFC battle in my head….LOL.

i know what you mean there, i still think Pride would have won!!

• Matthew says:

When asked at the 110 Q & A about how many more fights Stephan Bonnar has to lose before he gets cut, Dana replied words to the effect of” Forrest and Stephan are like sons to me. They could lose forever and still have a place in the UFC”.

Also, Perosh cornered all the croation fighters on the night, Reljic, Pokrajac. Both fighters who are training with or have trained with Mirko. Perosh himself is also of Croation descent and i’m fairly certain that Mirko put in some time at anthony and elvis’ gym here in Australia to prepare. Either way, comments made about them possibly knowing each other are correct.

What absolutely shat me to tears was that Elvis had the nerve to turn up and corner Perosh with very little signs of a shoulder injury. Something very suspect going on there and i would really like to know more about why he pulled out of the fight with Haseman. As i’ve said before, it was a fight that really didn’t belong on the card but it’s one the Aussie MMA fans have been waiting for since their first encounter.

• Matthew says:

And Velasquez owns Mir, Carwin and Brock. Although Brock would give him the most trouble, he still wins that fight by staying on his feet or by taking brock down ( yes i did just say that ). He is the only one that i am confident has a chance of doing both of those things at this point in time.

No Cain vs Dos Santos
    No Cain vs Loser of Mir/Carwin

Cain Vs Winner of unified HW Belt.

Let the rest of them fight it out for who’s next.
    Dos Santos can have the loser of unified HW belt and then get his shot. I wish frank mir would just piss off. He hasn’t got what it takes to beat Carwin letalone Brock or Cain.

• hindsightufuk says:

Matthew: Elvis had the nerve to turn up and corner Perosh with very little signs of a shoulder injury. Something very suspect going on there and i would really like to know more about why he pulled out of the fight with Haseman. As i’ve said before, it was a fight that really didn’t belong on the card but it’s one the Aussie MMA fans have been waiting for since their first encounter.

yeah he kinda strolled in with his hat over his eyes hoping no one would see him. i was dissapointed he didnt fight, would like to know more

• Matthew says:

And another aussie mma site is just reporting Perosh signs a 4 fight deal.

Must’ve been the trade off for knowing he was gonna get smashed.

• trunk says:

Anybody else feel CB Dollaway should have gotten a point taken away for grabbing the fence when Reljic had the Kimura locked up and was trying to pull guard. It is possible that it changed the outcome of the fight.

• Guthookd says:

Matthew:………..
    No Cain vs Loser of Mir/CarwinCain Vs Winner of unified HW Belt.
    Let the rest of them fight it out for who’s next.

Ooooo.

I’m going to remember you said that. I have some faith in Cain, but you are a lot more sure than I am. The great part about this one is…..we will find out.

• Matthew says:

Carwin KO’s Mir
    Brock beats carwin round 2 or 3
    Cain decisions Brock.

Remember i said that !!!! 😛

• PLANETSTOMP says:

hey matthew-i dont think so-nice input though-we are all going to see a much meaner brock lesnar-lesnar is going to dominate through exciting fashion

• PLANETSTOMP says:

• PLANETSTOMP says:

wheres all the five ounce fans at?????

• Matthew says:

PLANETSTOMP: hey matthew-i dont think so-nice input though-we are all going to see a much meaner brock lesnar-lesnar is going to dominate throughexciting fashion

PLANETSTOMP: i dont think you realize just how good cain is with his stand up-he is finally letting his hands go-unfortunately for his opponents-they will all find out shortly

A little confusing…. i do realise just how good Cain’s hands are. He IMO beats every HW in the division to the punch. I just don’t think anyone’s gonna knock Lesnar out. No one. You’ve seen the size of his bloody head. Carwin and Cain could line up on either side of Brock, punch at the same time in the sweet spots and the most they’d do is give him a puffy face. Hence why i said cain decisions Brock. If anyone has the cardio and the wrestling to make Brock work it is Cain Velasquez.

• sexy-yama says:

Cant wait for Wandi VS SEXY-YAMA, sexy-yama to win by puresexiness but if he looses wandy’s gona make him look no pretty NO more, imagine how angry all the girls AND guys will be LOL

Cain is on the come up but I really don’t think he’s the one to take out Brock… I think if Mir can get through Carwin he probably is the most likely to succeed- he just needs to keep putting that muscle mass on and be able to fend off Brocks imposing size…like him or not Mir is on a mission for that belt wish all contenders seemed as determined as him.

• Sans_Peur says:

I really feel the need to point this out regarding the heavyweight picture here: as it was mentioned above, Kongo has the ground game of a turnip (which I thought was great imagery and spot on, by the way), but he’s absolutely an elite level striker. To say that JDS has better hands than Kongo is, in my mind, not necessarily true. To say that JDS has a better all around game than Kongo, though, and that he uses that fact to set up his strikes, making them more effective, I would agree with. Consider that Kongo is the European Savate champion, 2004 Muay Thai World champion, 2003 Intercontinental Muay Thai champion, and has won multiple other kickboxing championships. In fact, his kickboxing record is 19-5, with 17 wins by knockout. Dude hits hard, no doubt about it. My concern is that his lack of ground game leaves him vulnerable – the striker’s equivalent of a one-dimensional wrestler. Kongo isn’t prepared to deal with the level changes that are going to happen with a well-rounded opponent. I’m not hating on JDS – much to the contrary, I think he has a great career ahead of him and is every bit a legitimate contender in the heavyweight division and is all around a better fighter than Kongo, but I am very hesitant to say that his strikes are, just on their own, more powerful than Kongo’s.

• Sans_Peur says:

To complete the thought that was in my head and somehow didn’t manage to get expressed in my comment, I’m not ready at this point to say that Velasquez has a suspect chin. There is absolutely no fault to be had in getting rocked or even ko’d by Kongo, and in my mind it in no way should be indicative of a fighter’s lack of chin, much like taking a flush shot from Liddell in his prime and going down really didn’t mean you had a glass jaw. In both cases, it comes down to the fact that the dude just hits friggin’ hard. That being said, I think that Velasquez is able to take a shot with the best of ’em, and I frankly doubt that Lesnar’s technical striking is that sound – his shots are powerful because of the weight of the man throwing, not the technique with which they’re thrown, and if Kongo couldn’t KO Velasquez, I doubt Lesnar will either unless he just gets him in a bad spot on the ground and pounds him out.

• Xspur says:

• PLANETSTOMP says:

great posts sans-as far as mir goes-he was awarded the worst officiating i have ever seen in a mixed martial arts fight the first time he fought lesnar-he is too hard headed and arrogant to realize that lesnar just has his number

• Guthookd says:

Xspur: I won’t be surprised when Mir walks through Carwin, and beats Brock for the title. Now that Nog has been stoped again, maybe people will stop taking away from Mirs’ KO of Nog and show his hands the respect they are giving Cains.Do any of you think like me that Brock should be givin a “ring rust” match? After all that he has been through, and the time off, I think it would be cool if they gave a lower tier HW a NON Title fight against the champ.  (Quote)

It won’t matter how many tune up fights they give him………..when Mir takes him out, or whoever, everyone will blame it on Brock’s recent illness. Simple as that. IF Mir wins the rubber match I won’t be surprised if we see a 4th fight.

• Guthookd says:

That is, if Mir gets through Carwin for a rubber match in the first place, of course.