Spike TV to air UFC 111 prelims

New York, NY, February 22, 2010 – Spike TV will telecast live undercard bouts from UFC 111: ST. PIERRE vs. HARDY on Saturday, March 27 at 9:00 PM ET/6:00 PM PT from the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. The one-hour telecast will run with limited commercial interruption. UFC 111 will air on pay-per-view at 10:00 PM ET.

The first bout scheduled to air on Spike TV is a welterweight contest between Matt “The Immortal” Brown (13-7) and Ricardo Almeida (11-3). Brown has become a fan favorite since his stint on Season 7 of “The Ultimate Fighter,” as his relentless style and devastating striking ability has garnered him a 4-1 record in the UFC, with all wins coming via TKO or submission. He is currently riding a string of three straight dominant performances against Ryan Thomas at UFC 91, Pete Sell at UFC 96 and, most recently, James Wilks at UFC 105. The Cincinnati based fighter will now look to put himself in the title picture with a fourth consecutive victory. Standing in his way will be a man fighting in his own backyard, Hamilton, NJ’s Ricardo “Big Dog” Almeida. The winner of two straight bouts coming into his matchup with Brown, most recently against Kendall Grove at UFC 101 this past August, this Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt will look to use his strong ground game to make a successful debut in the UFC’s welterweight division after years of fighting at middleweight.

The evening’s second televised bout is also in the welterweight division, and pits Rory Markham (16-5) against Nate Diaz (11-5). Markham, one of the game’s premier knockout artists, will look to use his immense punching power to stop his opponent, Diaz on March 27th. The winner of “The Ultimate Fighter 5,” Stockton, CA based Diaz has amassed a 6-3 record in the UFC in less than three years, and his fight with Markham will see him transition from lightweight to welterweight, where he hopes his added power will augment his effective Cesar Gracie taught Jiu-Jitsu skills in stopping Markham and setting him on his way to welterweight gold.

Other bouts on the card might air on Spike TV, to be determined by the length of the fights.

Spike TV is available in 98.6 million homes and is a division of MTV Networks. A unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), MTV Networks is one of the world’s leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms. Spike TV’s Internet address is www.spike.com and for up-to-the-minute and archival press information and photographs, visit Spike TV’s press site at http://www.spike.com/press.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Almeida wins a close fight with Brown
    Diaz take a easy win over Rory.

• hindsightufuk says:

both fights have the promise of being entertaining, plus both Brown and Diaz will always put on a show with their fighting style

• Makington says:

That’s if Almeida tries to stand with Brown. He has always tried to avoid standing with fighters that could hurt him, and this fight is no different. Similarily, Brown has always shown weaknesses to guys with very slick subs, and Almeida is near the top of that list. I would love for Brown to pull the big upset but this is a very bad match up for him.

I think Diaz/Markham will be exciting as hell until Nate slaps on one of those guillotines that are damn near impossible to get out of. I’m very interested to see how he looks at 170 if he might try to put some muscle on.

If it’s free it’s for me……..

2 Good fights on Spike – I’ll take it.

• matt says:

fanoftna33: Both interesting fights, plus a good main card line up, the only thing about this taht I dont like is that when I buy the ppv, I usually end up seeing the same prelim fights again, but it is still a good thing to get out there.I think Almeida wins a close fight with BrownDiaz take a easy win over Rory.  (Quote)

There is no way that diaz will take an easy win over Markham. Markham is a big 170 and his training at the miletich camp will make it hard for Diaz to take him down. We all know that Markham has some power in his hands and feet and can knock anybody out. Diaz’s stand up is alright but he has no power in his hands and he is nowhere near as good as his brother in the boxing department. I want to see Diaz win this fight but he struggled with the bigger 155er’s and I dont see him doing any better against the 170er’s. Diaz main problem in his loses is that he gets manhandled by stronger guys. Diaz was extremely weak for the lightweight division and he will be even weaker in the welterweight division.

• fanoftna33 says:

Size wont be a issue for Diaz as he is taller than Rory and stated he walks around at 190 or so. Markham does have good power but a suspect chin that Diaz with his reach advantage will be able to tag i think. Yes I still see him having trouble with the better WW wrestlers(and maybe even being stopped which would be rare) but against Rory I think it is a fight tailor made for Diaz to up his stock a bit.

• fanoftna33 says:

Diaz is as tall as Rory not taller than, but has been much more active as Rory hasnt fought in over a year. More matchmaking for the TUF guys here.

• KRS 27 says:

Am I seeing shit?

I just looked at it and the headline said Spike to Air UFC Fight Night 21 Prelims

I was about to say fix the headline its UFC 111 prelims not the fight night, but I see you changed it.

• DS says:

Why is Matt Brown vs Ricardo Almeida a prelim???

I’d put that bout over: Ben Saunders vs. Jake Ellenberger OR Jim Miller vs. Mark Bocek, any day.

Brown is on a 5-fight win streak (no offense, Dong Hyun Kim) and a real up and comer. And Almeida is Almeida.

Cool that it’s free on Spike, but Matt Brown should get some maincard love.a

• KRS 27 says:

DS: Why is Matt Brown vs Ricardo Almeida a prelim???
    Cool that it’s free on Spike, but Matt Brown should get some maincard love.a

Completely agree. I’d much rather they switch the two fights, take Almeida/Brown and Diaz/Markham and put them on hte main card and take Miller/Bocek and Saunders/Jake and make them the undercard prelim fights.

Actually I’d rather see Pelligrino/Cameos fight, since Kurt is from NJ and will be fighting in his home state, so why not get him on the Spike prelim, which if they have time I’m sure thats the first fight they would like to show, but of course they have to base shit off time, if the first prelim fight goes fast, they show another fight that ended quick, if both fights end quick, they could maybe show a longer fight after.

But I def think this card is good, but after the title fights and Fitchalves, it really drops off, the last two main card fights suck, Diaz/markham and Almeida/Brown would be much much better choices for the main card then the prelims.

UFC fucked up on this one.