Tim Sylvia vs. Brandon Lee Hinkle set for “Adrenaline MMA V” in March

Brandon Lee Hinkle

A heavyweight bout between former UFC champion Tim Sylvia and TUF 10 alumni Wes Sims was recently given the red light by the Ohio State Athletic Commission.

In a recent report on MMAjunkie.com, Ohio State Athletic Commission Director Bernie Profato stated that the commission had ruled the bout to be “non-competitive” in nature.

“The commission felt the fight was not going to be competitive at this time after comparing [Sims’ and Sylvia’s] records and the opponents both fighters had faced,” stated Profato through an email. “And even though it was 2004, Sylvia previously stopped Sims at 1:36 of the first round.”

The pair were expected to face off at an upcoming “Adrenaline MMA” event anticipated for March 20 from Youngstown, Ohio.

And while they won’t be facing one another, Adrenaline promoter Monte Cox revealed that both would be expected to take part in the card one way or another.

Tim Sylvia is currently slated to face off with Brandon Lee Hinkle, while Sims is expected to meet Kerry Schall at “Adrenaline MMA V”.

• Dufresne says:

Why does it feel that Big Tim and Wes are both fading rapidly into obscurity and they seem to be okay with that? What happened to the towering striker that was once one of the best in the world?

Not for nothing both Tim and Wes should watch some old footage of themselves and see what there physiques used to look like… shit if I was a “pro” fighter I think it would be part of my job to be in shape?!… if i was those guys I would be ashamed to show up to fights looking how they do at times…

Any way- should be interesting to see what Tim still has left has to offer…hope he’s actually been training (MMA, not boxing)…

• fanoftna33 says:

Nice to hear of a commission acually doing it’s job and keeping promoters from having fights with guys who have no business fighting professionaly against former champs looking to pad thier records. Unlike boxing where even champs can fight guys who shouldnt be in the ring.

• mersault says:

I was hoping someone would dig up Rico Rodriguez for another shot at Silva. Too bad, I would love to see that. 😉

• Guthookd says:

There are a lot of negative things a person could say about all this, but I’m just going to say that Hinkle vs. Sylvia is a good match up at this point. I will watch it for sure. I’m interested to see how Hinkle goes about dealing with Sylvia’s striking.

Sylvia hasn’t had the best couple years, but there was a time when I was very impressed with his power. I’ll never forget the look on Ricco’s face when Sylvia took the belt. Those were some seriously hard shots to the dome.

• fanoftna33 says:

you dont have to dig up Ricco he probably fights better opponents then both these guys

• Angry Mike says:

Every fighter has a limited number of fights, although it’s a different number for each fighter. Sometimes the will to fight fades before the skills, and sometimes the skills fade before the will is gone. I can’t say for certain about Sylvia, but his decreased conditioning suggests he’s losing the will.

• moosebaby02 says:

fanoftna33: Tim has always been a popular fighter to hate much like Matt Hughes has but also like Hughes he has been a very good fighter who cnnsistently wins, which is why seeing him take these types of fights surprises me. This guy should at least be in the top of the list for SF, he would be a great match up for any HW they have (except Fedor but that goes for everybody) Tim ve Bigfoot would be a very good fight, but seeing him on these types of shows makes it seem like he doesnt want to fight anybody good and just get the paycheck, which is a waste of his considerable talent.  (Quote)

the fact that SF dosent want him shows how far sylvia has fallen

• moosebaby02 says:

not saying that SF are the bottom of all the org but they did sign Walker for a freak show fight. them not wanting sylvia just shows how much they dont need him

• Xspur says:

I think SF has to be careful which former UFC fighters they pick up. If someone who was washed out of the UFC comes over and does very well in a short amount of time, it reflects poorly on the SF talent. I think it’s a wise move to hold off on grabbing Tim until he proves that he still has a chance to make an impact.

• edub says:

I wish Ohio would of let Sims fight Sylvia instead. At least the shit talking would’ve been interesting. I still don’t see how this is supposed to be more competitive than that fight.

• Plea to editor. . please stop posting crap (no pun intended lol) like this.

• Guthookd says:

FightFan313: Plea to editor. . please stop posting crap (no pun intended lol) like this.  (Quote)

• Guthookd: Well, there are 13 comments and a ton more views on this topic, so I’d say the editors are doing a good job of giving us things to talk about and consider in between future card news and past fight results.I think this site is the best MMA site out there. I completely stopped going to any other site.  (Quote)

this is the best site. Tim pooped his shorts in a fight lol. ..just have’n fun my man