Josh Barnett feels entitled to more than a ‘slap in the face’

You’d be hard pressed to find an athlete as commonly despised as Josh Barnett in the sport of mixed martial arts since “The Baby Faced Assasin” tested positive for steroids while fighting under two separate promotions over the span of seven years.

The most recent offense brought an end to an anticipated clash between himself and Fedor Emelianenko in early 2009, and effectively cast Barnett out of the spotlight for an indefinite amount of time.

However, according to Barnett on a recent edition of hardcore sports radio, he’s been cleared to fight since day one. It was California that had the “issue”.

“I can resume it… I’ve been able to resume in from day one,” said Barnett. “My issue is only with California. I can fight anywhere in the world and any state in the union.”

In regards to when Josh could possibly be making his return to mixed martial arts, the 32-year-old heavyweight seemed to feel like the decision was not up to him.

“As soon as any promotion out there stops bulls******, and stops… just comes correct. That’s all,” said Barnett. “Now if they want me to fight all they have to do is step up to the plate and throw me an opponent, and don’t put something in front of me that’s either a slap in the face or ridiculous.”

Wasn’t testing positive steroids not once, but twice, a slap in the face of the entire collective mixed martial arts community?

As of right now Barnett seems to be focusing on his fictional fighting/professional wrestling career, as he has a February 22 date against Bob Sapp already scheduled for Japan.

• Jarome_Turner says:

Strikeforce should sign him to a 3 fight deal.

Barnett vs. Rogers
    Barnett vs. Werdum
    Barnett vs Fedor (finally)

Would work well with what they could do with Fedor:

Fedor vs. Werdum
    Fedor vs. Over(ated)eem
    Fedor vs. Barnett (finally)

• qat says:

no, he should not be signed by anybody, he does not deserve it. and it would make mma itself ridiculous, doesn’t mma wants to be seen as a serious pro sport?
    he doped, he should be banned for at least 2 years (since its his second positive test maybe more..), and then he can try to redeem himself.

I agree but i think Barnetts issue is the money that orgs want him to fight for knowing he has limited orgs willing to touch him right now… but SF should get an iron clad contract (drug testing) and go for it… he can only help. rather see barnett fight fedor rather than bobby lashley at this point in his career

• jj says:

I used to really like Josh Barnett, he was one of my favourites back when PRIDE was around. I don’t know what to think of him anymore. I’d like to see him compete again, but then again, I hate him for being the final nail in Affliction’s coffin, not to mention ruining a great match up with Fedor. While he could be a good addition to the Strikeforce roster, is any serious fan going to be able to get over the “what if’s” that comes with signing a known steroid user.

I’m afraid Josh will spend his last fighting days in Japan fighting lame freak show fights against other juicers like Bob the Sapp, and unfortunately that is truly all he deserves.

I think the only option for someone like Josh to compete again in North America is to have completely random blood drug testing with no prior knowledge, multiple times before any fight he is allowed to compete in. It will be the only way he’s ever going to be seen as a credible opponent again in my eyes.

I’d much rather see Barnett in Strikeforce than Canseco, that’s for damn sure.

• Dufresne says:

I agree jj, the only way I will ever take him seriously again is if he voluntarily submits to Olympic style drug testing that calls for multiple, random blood samples being taken all the way up to the day of the fight.

The sad thing is that steroids don’t increase talent, which he had fistfuls of to begin with.

• cocoonofhorror says:

LMAO, this clown needs to take a lue.

• Angry Mike says:

He’s radioactive. I can’t imagine why any US org. would go near him after what he did to Affliction. Japanese org.s don’t care about steroids, so he has a home there.

• cocoonofhorror says:

that should say clue. also the 3 morons who voted me down need to catch a clue also. Barnett is a 3 time looser, and wont stop roiding now.

• cocoonofhorror says:

wow, i say also a LOT!

• Lethal Liquid says:

I say keep him out in the cold. One offense is bad enough 2 strikes might as well spit in the face of MMA itself. As this sport is starting to hit its stride guys like Barnett need to be ostricized and kept out of the limelight.

• Kuch says:

• supereric says:

Kuch: I honestly hope no one signs him and he is left with competing in Japan. Barnett is a cancer and would only bring ruin to any organization that signs him. Seriously, given his track record, how could someone like Scott Coker in good conscious sign him to a deal and actually have to rely on him to be clean and ready to fight? He could never be relied upon as a headliner, which is probably what he is expecting. What actually kills me is that he feels entitled or something, almost like he doesn’t think he did anything wrong and should be given a fresh start. “California has a problem.” What? You have the problem!  (Quote)

The best post on here!
    Barnett lost all creditability and his hard earned reputation through the use of illegal substances. His words now just go to show he has no respect for his opponents or MMA.

• LiverPunch says:

I want to see him fight. All those that have such a grudge against him are being a little sensitive. The organisations should be worried but the fans should want to see him fight. I could think of many fights I would like to see him in outside of the UFC alone and in the UFC many more. If he tests clean I’m happy to see him fight.
    If you think he has been the only one doing roids you are sadly mistaken.

• triangleman says:

• edub says:

triangleman: Guys lets not forget one thing a year ago a boxer was suspended for using plaster paris on his wraps!!!!! Basically using brass knuckles under his gloves and he is going to be re-instated after only a 1yr ban! I am not a fan of Barnett and I do not support anything he has done BUT that being said we need to see some of these guys compete. I would love to see Brock or Fedor or Mir crush Barnett so he will shut his mouth and go back to Japan but I think in some cases we need to see it happen!!!!  (Quote)

Texas is the only state that has said were thinking about filing to reinstate him. Texas has recieved multiple letters from other athletic commisions asking them to not reinstate margarito yet. They have not given their final answer yet on if they will let him fight on the Pac man vs. Clottey undercard yet….

Bob Arum is a douche.

• dpk says:

Hey Josh how about all the promoters, and fans that you slapped in the face. 3 positive steroid test. I wouldn’t mind seeing Josh fight again, but if I was a promoter I’m not going to give him any benefit of the doubt. At this point putting his face on the poster to promote the fight is a big risk. Josh, if you can win a few fights, and stay clean, then you can still earn some more big paychecks, but I wouldn’t expect anything big before then.

• moosebaby02 says:

shut up! he really said these things?
    lmao. ok i guess he is forgiven then

• justjohn says:

Wow. I knew steroids made your muscles big and your junk small, but I didn’t realize it made you delusional. Barnett thinks he can fight in any state in the union? In the 42 states that regulate MMA, steroids are a banned substance and you still have to apply for a license. Yes, you can get away with hiding it until you get hit with a random test or pre/post fight test.

Maybe bumfights will take him. Or he could take over where Kimbo left off on Youtube.

• retrofitting123 says:

he cant stop juicin -its so odd.hes pschologically addicted to the stuff. Either that or he did it to duck fedor

• Guthookd says:

Josh never mattered to me and he still doesn’t. I say forget him completely.

• king mah mah says:

Josh would have been fine if he would have got some pointers from Lesnar on how to pass a piss test after juicing! Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Austin says:

Jarome_Turner: Strikeforce should sign him to a 3 fight deal.Barnett vs. Rogers
    Barnett vs. Werdum
    Barnett vs Fedor (finally)Would work well with what they could do with Fedor:Fedor vs. Werdum
    Fedor vs. Over(ated)eem
    Fedor vs. Barnett (finally)Or they could sign Barnett to a 1 fight deal, if he wins give him more. Anything to make their HW division deeper would be a good thing.

Here’s the flaw in that wishful post: Strikeforce does 75% of its events in California.