Eddie Alvarez vs. Josh Neer set for Bellator in May

CHICAGO, Ill. (February 16, 2010) — Bellator Fighting Championships announced today that its reigning lightweight champion, Eddie Alvarez, the No. 2-ranked lightweight in the world, will square off in a non-title “Super Fight” with UFC veteran Josh “The Dentist” Neer under the Bellator banner this May.

The fight is the first Super Fight matchup to be announced by Bellator, which is now gearing up for its much-anticipated nationally-televised second season. These non-tournament, non-title catch-weight fights will pit Bellator’s Season 1 Champions — Alvarez, Joe Soto, Lyman Good and Hector Lombard — against top competition as they prepare to defend their titles from Bellator’s Season 2 tournament winners this fall.

The Alvarez-Neer fight will take place during one of Bellator’s May events and will be televised live on FOX Sports Net and during Bellator highlight shows on NBC and Telemundo. The exact date will be announced in the coming weeks.

Alvarez, the Philadelphia native and Fight Factory product, has driven his 19-2 professional record to the No. 2 ranking in the world at lightweight. He dominated Bellator’s Season 1 tournament to take home the first-ever Bellator Lightweight Championship belt.

Neer, an Iowa native who is 27-9-1 over the course of his seven-year MMA career, is a three-time veteran of the UFC with signature wins over Melvin Guillard and TUF winners Joe Stevenson and Mac Danzig. Since his last UFC fight in October 2009, Neer is 2-0, with both wins coming via first-round stoppages.

“In addition to being one of the top lightweights on earth, Eddie’s a blast to watch fight,” said Bellator founder and CEO Bjorn Rebney. “Alvarez vs. Neer should produce fireworks from the start. Our hyper-competitive tournaments, May super-fights and September title-defense fights will all create some awesome nationally televised events.”

Alvarez, who underwent minor arthroscopic knee surgery on Jan. 13th, said he is itching to make his return to the cage against Neer.

“I’ve seen Josh Neer fight, and he’s a banger,” Alvarez said. “I love this fight because he never puts on a dull fight and those are the kinds of matches that suit me the best. I expect my knee to be 100 percent soon and I’m expecting that this is going to be my best performance ever.”

Neer said he also expects the fight to be an exciting one.

“This is definitely a tough fight because Alvarez is a really explosive fighter and one of the top two or three lightweights in the world,” Neer said. “I think that if I beat him, it would be a huge win for me and would really help me increase my notoriety. It’s a great opportunity.”

For more information, visit Bellator.com, follow Bellator on Twitter @BellatorMMA or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Bellator.

• Makington says:

I wouldn’t exactly call this a superfight, but oh man this is going to be a great fight. I’m pulling for a healthy Alvarez but I think Neer will keep things competitive.

• fanoftna33 says:

This will be a great fight, but I will say Neer for the win. He is bigger than Alverez, can take a punch and has way better grappling than Eddie. It looks to be a great fight but I think Neer will earn his way back into the ufc’s good graces with the win here.

• Guthookd says:

I’m looking forward to this fight too.

Neer is a pretty good fighter who is not afraid to bang with anyone.

Is Eddie reallly top 2 though? That seems a little off to me. Sure he beat Hell Boy in 2008, but he also lost to Aoki the same year and hasn’t beat anyone of significance since. I guess you never know though. Maybe Eddie is on his way to the UFC after this season. Then we’d really find out. I think Tyson Griffin might have something to say about that….same with Maynard, Stevenson, Diaz, and Guillard. Shoot…I bet Ben Henderson would probably have a problem with that statement as well.

• Carvaggio says:

Alvarez will over power Neer on the feet. I like watching neer fight but i don’t think he has the tools to beat Eddie. Should be a great first couple of minutes though…

• Carvaggio says:

Guthookd: I’m looking forward to this fight too.Neer is a pretty good fighter who is not afraid to bang with anyone.Is Eddie reallly top 2 though?That seems a little off to me.Sure he beat Hell Boy in 2008, but he also lost to Aoki the same year and hasn’t beat anyone of significance since.I guess you never know though.Maybe Eddie is on his way to the UFC after this season.Then we’d really find out. I think Tyson Griffin might have something to say about that….same with Maynard, Stevenson, Diaz, and Guillard. Shoot…I bet Ben Henderson would probably have a problem with that statement as well.

While i agree he hasn’t fought the greatest competition in his last few you can’t put someone like griffin (lost to edgar & can’t finish anyone except a horribly out of shape franca) or diaz (lost his last three?) or guillard (come on one good fight and he’s top 10?)
    & Henderson? (you say alvarez hasn’t fought top comp but Ben has? give me a break)

Maynard would be interesting because of his size and stand up power but he looked like shit against diaz.

& there’s no shame in being beaten by aoki (who’s top five in the world right now)

• ColinL says:

Guthookd: Is Eddie reallly top 2 though?

That’s my question, too. Eddie Alvarez definitely looked good the past 2 years, but I hardly see the guys he fights. It will give me lot more context if he convincingly beats Neer.

Actually, I guess I have a second question about this and it’s about Eddie’s knee. I can’t find any sources that confirm this is the same knee Aoki jacked up, but if it is… how long until major surgery on it? He’s delayed or missed a few fights because of knee problems.

• Jstew3785 says:

I’m assuming 5oz directly posted the press release because they have Alvarez ranked at #8, which is about right.

• Cogito Ergo Sum says:

This isn’t a direct copy from another site. Bellator Championships is saying that Eddie is number two in the world based on his loss to Aoki. Its like the UFC saying that Brock is number one in the world while we all know that Fedor is number one. Although Brock and Fedor can be disputed, I am hard pressed to find any websites that have Eddie at number two for LW. This is a great fight and I think it will show how truly ready Eddie is for the UFC.

• Rich S. says:

Oh wow.. This is just awesome!

It seems Neer has recently smartened up as far as gameplans go and I hope he takes that into this fight..

If he gets careless this will NOT end well for him..

• When I spoke with Bjorn, I didn’t get the chance to ask him about the non-title affairs. I think it’s a terrible idea. Say Alvarez losses; it completely devalues the Bellator LW championship.

As for the press release, it’s just a promotion hyping up their fighters. Dana does it (and gets crucified for it), Coker does it, everyone does it. It’s not a big deal.

• edub says:

smart move… keep last years winners relevant and give the fans more fights!

I’m calling it now Bellator will be the #2 promotion in under 2 years… especially if Coker continues to entertain the idea of fights like Canseco Vs. Walker…

• hindsightufuk says:

edub: Neer gets hit a lot on the feet, but he can really take a punch. This fight has a feel of Gomi vs. Diaz to me for some reason. I’m eager to see the odds.

i was thinking the same thing, a slug fest ensued by Eddie falling into a Josh triangle, was my initial reaction. really looking forward to this.