Five Ounces of Pain 2010 MMA Rankings Updated – 2/15

FiveOuncesofPain.com has updated it’s official rankings for early 2010.

Take a look as quite a few significant changes have taken place…

Heavyweight

Josh Barnett axed. Last fight was January 24, 2009 Affliction stoppage of Gilbert Yvel.

Cain Velasquez jumps up to # 5 based on two impressive wins since the # 7 and 8 guys have earned their last victory.

Junior dos Santos leapfrogs Shane Carwin and Brett Rogers based on the same reasoning listed for Velasquez: Activity, and victory.

Shane Carwin trades places with Brett Rogers based on inactivity. Last fight was on March 7 and next scheduled fight is set for March 27.

Andrei Arlovski is cut from the top ten based on not redeeming himself since two consecutive defeats.

Fabricio Werdum and Alistair Overeem make their debuts in the heavyweight top ten.

Light Heavyweight

Randy Couture makes his debut in the light heavyweight top ten since his return to the division with consecutive victories over Brandon Vera and Mark Coleman, both of who were coming off of wins.

Thiago Silva falls from # 8 to 10 with loss to Rashad Evans.

Luiz Cane leaves the top ten with one sided defeat to Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

Middleweight

Chael Sonnen flys from the # 8 spot to replace Nate Marquardt at # 2 with his one sided beating of “The Great” at UFC 109.

Welterweight

Paulo Thiago passes up Josh Koscheck and Mike Swick with his brutal beating of… Mike Swick.

Mike Swick makes his exit with consecutive defeats.

Nick Diaz re-enters the welterweight rankings with his return to the weight class.

Paul Daley hops up a couple spots based on the knockout of Dustin Hazelett and Swick’s removal.

Former division champion Matt Serra enters the top ten with first round mauling of Frank Trigg at UFC 109.

Lightweight

Shinya Aoki hops up to #5 with three straight wins and an arm-splintering submission over Mizuto Hirota at “Dynamite!! 2009”.

Gilbert Melendez enters the rankings with thrilling victory over Josh Thomson for the Strikeforce lightweight championship.

Benson Henderson shows his face in the top ten with submission over Jamie Varner to earn the WEC lightweight title.

Featherweight

Mackens Sermerzier leaves the top ten with Deividas Taurosevicius; Deividas takes his spot.

Bantamweight

Scott Jorgensen enters the top ten with recent win over Takeya Mizugaki, while Takeya drops a few spots with the defeat.

*You can check out the full list of updated rankings RIGHT HERE

• crane_style says:

I understand that ratings involve several different factors, but if your system puts a guy ahead of someone who handed him his as twice, maybe it’s time to tune it a bit.

• Jarome_Turner says:

Doesn’t make sense.

You have Lesnar as the # 2 heavyweight, but not ranked P4P.
    You have Big Nog ranked as the #4 heavyweight, and #9 P4P.

How can Lesnar be above Nog on the Heavyweight list, but not in the P4P list?

• Jarome_Turner says:

Hence the use of the term “Pound for Pound”. BJ is a natural lightweight. GSP is much bigger. GSP beating BJ doesn’t mean he’s better P4P.

• Jstew3785 says:

Jarome_Turner: Doesn’t make sense. You have Lesnar as the # 2 heavyweight, but not ranked P4P.You have Big Nog ranked as the #4 heavyweight, and #9 P4P.How can Lesnar be above Nog on the Heavyweight list, but not in the P4P list?  (Quote)

Compare their career records and then tell me who has the more impressive resume. Big Nog by a long shot, that’s why he is ahead.

• Dufresne says:

crane_style: What rankings will you have next? Is Sonnen rated ahead of Nate the Great? Does Frank Trigg score over Serra for his clever ability to block punches with his face?

Actually, they did rank Sonnen over Marquardt…

• Jak says:

Jarome_Turner: How can Lesnar be above Nog on the Heavyweight list, but not in the P4P list?

Because people argue that al of Lesnar’s success in ONLY due to his size. People argue if he was the same size as the other fighters he would be terrible.

P4P basically means if Nog and Lesnar both weighed 235 who would be better.

• Guthookd says:

I agree with all changes.

My man Paulo Thiago is going to be a champ one day….you guys will see. Well rounded, good power for his size, very stong will….I can’t wait to see him challenge GSP for the belt. I think it will be a great match up.

Good to see Thiago Silva in the top 10 still. I’m hoping for a serious rebound from the Evans loss.

• crane_style says:

Jarome_Turner:

Really. I thought

Dufresne:
    Actually, they did rank Sonnen over Marquardt…

Doh! You’re right, I meant to say that they’d rate Nate over Sonnen.

• David Andrest says:

LOL, few things more entertaining that the blind rage caused by Ranking day.

LOVE IT.

• crane_style says:

Jarome_Turner:

</blockquote
    Really? I always thought that the best pound for pound fighter meant that if they'd all weighed the same, who would win? If GSP lost to Anderson Silva at 185, should he rank ahead of him on the list?

And I'm pretty sure BJ and GSP weighed the same when they stepped on the scale before the fight. GSP is one inch taller than BJ. Fedor is "much bigger" than BJ. GSP isn't.

The fact that GSP has trained his body to cut weight is not about what kind of "natural" body type he has, but a training skill he has developed over the years, just like BJJ or good cardio. BJ Penn didn't develop this talent and, up until recently, was known for his slack training technique.

We'll never see BJ fight Anderson Silva or Fedor fight GSP, so most of this pound for pound stuff is theory. But these two guys did fight and it was obvious who was better.

• crane_style says:

crane_style:
    Really. I thought
    Doh! You’re right, I meant to say that they’d rate Nate over Sonnen.

wow did i mess that up. maybe i need more sleep.

• Lethal Liquid says:

I can’t see how Jon Fitch made the P4p list period. Dan Hardy being rated over Kosheck and Paulo Thiago is equally as baffling. It appears this list is effected by the Ufc hype-machine more than simple common sense

• fraz says:

crane_style: I looked at the “pound for pound” rankings. On what planet does BJ Penn rate ahead of GSP? BJ could only win one round out of the six they fought, and that was because he poked GSP in the eye..  (Quote)

Penn gets extra credit for having to fight with an internet-site managing editor swinging from his junk.

• CatchWrestling101 says:

Damn, its great to finally find a website that doesn’t have Josh Barnett in their top 10. He hasn’t fought in over a year and everytime he fights in the USA he flunks a steriod test. His overseas success was probably due to his steriod use. For him to even be considered for anything he needs to start fighting in the US and passing drug test. Same goes for Overeem, fight someone and defend your f-ing Strikefore title. WTF, over 2 years with the belt and no title defenses.

• CatchWrestling101 says:

Lethal Liquid——–
    Paulo Thiago may not be the sexy choice but bottom line is he KNOCKED the F$$$ out of both Kos and Swick. Were talking highlight KO’s. I love Kos however until he avenges that defeat it isn’t fair to put either of them above Thiago.

• JabCrossHook says:

P4P Brian mothafuckin Bowles should be up there.

• crane_style says:

fraz:

Hehe. That is a pretty major handicap.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

• MMA-LOGIC: Not sure why Barnett 24-5 (with wins over Nog,Couture,Monson,Aleks etc) gets dropped because of inactivity…

Maybe because he’s been busted three times for steroids.

You’re defending a known cheater just because he isn’t signed to big, bad UFC.

• Angry Mike says:

Barnett’s steroid use was bad enough by itself, but his last incident was on the eve of the Affliction fight with Fedor. The event was cancelled and the org. shut down. It probably would’ve shut down eventually anyway, but he was the reason it happened so abruptly. It was a real disservice to the fans the org. and a lot of fighters who were getting paychecks and exposure outside UFC. What a dick.

• justjohn says:

Perhaps I missed something, but has Overeem actually fought anyone in MMA in a couple of years? Aside from seeing him lose in K-1, I haven’t seen him fight anyone and question his spot in the Top 10.

• moosebaby02 says:

MMA-LOGIC: Not sure why Barnett 24-5 (with wins over Nog,Couture,Monson,Aleks etc) gets dropped because of inactivity and yet Carwin a guy who has only fought and won against 1 top 20 fighter stays when he has 1 month less inactivity. Feel free to take him off in 1 month, just before his next fight. Why he is there now is a mystery.Perhaps these rankings should be based on wins and losses against the level of opponent and not how good we think a guy is. Rankings should only be based on stats and not “I think this guy looked impressive”.  (Quote)

are you serious???? you should really change your name to “I HATE EVERYTHING UFC OR ZUFFA”

and why is Fitch on the P4P list??? just wondering? Brian Bowles anyone??
    Overeem on the HW MMA list……..why???

Think it’s time for an anema…

the rankings, the posts, the comments…

it all seems full of shit.

But the comedy this provided was priceless.

• cdrg says:

Jarome_Turner says:
    February 15, 2010 at 12:58 pm

well, I see fedor beating up people 40,50 lbs heavier without a problem, Silva is doing the same, koschek just did it with anthony rumble. If BJ was such a good p4p he shouldnt have a problem doing it with someone 20-30lbs heavier. IF he is such a good P4P(BJ) he would at least givin GSP a slight fight, GSP made him look like an amature,who couldnt even go 5 rounds

• cdrg says:

how the hell can john fitch make P4P and not Gegard “The Dreamcatcher” Mousasi?????? and what abouth BJ in front of GSP after GSP whoped his azzz twice and bad enogh to where BJ’s corner threw the towel. Like I said earlier, if Fedor and Silva cand do it, why cant BJ? I guess hes not that good!

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Excuse me but what the hell did anything I said have to do with the UFC??????
    He said he would drop Barnett because of inactivity right? well Cawin who has no where near the amount of fights or victories that Barnett has has one month less inactivity.
    You 2 are seeing things that you want to.
    Read my post again and tell me where it mentions UFC. Nowhere that is right. Dickheads!.
    If I say something about the UFC it is because I feel it is valid. This post had nothing to do with that did it? no so F#ck off.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

It is so annoying that if I am to say anything about any fighter to do with the UFC and give what I think is a a legit reason you ignore it and just tell me I am anti UFC. If you read what I say and come up with an argument,fine but you don’t you just say anti UFC. I am anti UFC company but not UFC fighters as I have said many many times. Tell me How many top 10 fighters has Carwin faced? 0. Top 20? 1 so why is he top 10? that is my argument. If there are other non UFC guys that are top 10 that are the same then I am saying the same about them. Do…you…under…stand?. No you don’t! it is easier to say anti UFC than actually thinking and using reason.
    “Duhhhh he just anti-UFC”. Idiots.

• edub says:

Logic the only guy your fooling is yourself. Carwin is scheduled for a fight in a month in a half. Barnett apart from failing for steroids almost a year ago now is not even sceduled to compete in mma in the near future. Pro wrestling in Japan doesnt count bud. However I am sure Turkish would agree with you.

Pretty good list. Proabably the best one out right now IMHO.

Misc…
    HW: Perfect. Absolutely spot on.
    LHW: Finally good to see somebody put Mousasi below 6th. Im not saying the guy isn’t great because he is. He just has two fights at the weight and neither was ranked above #10.
    MW: I’d have Hendo at #2 instead of Sonnen. I’d also have Jacare at 10 instead of Khalidov.
    WW: Pretty spot on.
    LW: Definately different than most websites, mine would be a little different.
    FW: Good enough for me.
    BW: Eddie Wineland is good and all, but I dont think good enough to be #10 and an honorable mention… I kid I kid.

• edub says: