Rolles Gracie shown the door following UFC 109 defeat

You can add Rolles Gracie‘s name to the handful of fighters that have been released from the UFC following UFC 109, as The Wrestling Observer recently confirmed the heavyweight’s dismissal from the promotion.

Gracie joins Mark Coleman, Frank Trigg, Phillipe Nover, and Tim Hague, who were all recently let go from the UFC following defeats in the Octagon.

Gracie looked incredibly winded in the second round of his UFC debut with Joey “The Mexicutioner” Beltran before falling victim to a TKO through a series of punches which effectively spelled his departure from the organization.

The second degree Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt leaves the UFC with an overall career record of 3-1, with all three of his victories coming by way of submission.

• Xspur says:

• RandomFighting says:

UFC 109: The Layoffs

Looks like this card was meant to thin the herd.

• YetiLee says:

Xspur: That’s to bad, I was really looking forward to seeing Rolles compete in the UFC. I guess it’s appropriate though considering his record isn’t one that necessarily constituted a UFC contract to begin with. We all know his nerves and the pressure got to him, he’ll be back.

Nerves and pressure didn’t cause him to fall on his face, poor conditioning did.

• hindsightufuk says:

really, really, really poor conditioning

• jj says:

I was pretty surprised to see this fight was even broadcast. It does nothing for the UFC or the stock of the Gracie name, especially with Renzo’s debut coming up.

Emerson vs. Nover would have been a much better fight to broadcast.

I miss Ryan Gracie :(

• Kuch says:

One and done. He didn’t do himself any favors by showing up with such poor conditioning. Maybe he’ll win a few in some smaller shows and make his way back.

• KTru says:

was not ready for the big time

Maybe he will be back, or maybe he will be like many other Gracies and never fulfill their hype and/or potential.

• Angry Mike says:

Neither one of those guys was impressing me, but I thought Rolles had the first round and would’ve won if he had the gas. Pretty inexcusable to show up for a fight in UFC without proper cardio. The era of fat flailers has been over for more than a decade.

• Lethal Liquid says:

Grand opening grand closing huh. Love that new title for the PPV. Layoffs that’s hilarious

• fetussandwich says:

Rolles should never be allowed within 10 feet of the Octagon gate after that performance.

• MacBatty says:

Most of these cuts were easy calls but, I bet Nover was the toughest cut Dana had to make…..Considering how he was toting him as the next GSP and all…..I bet Nover fainted when he heard the news….

• xtreme_machine says:

Go Renzo Gracie

its the only one we got left

• hindsightufuk says:

ah no we have Ralek left still, i expect him to be the best mma gracie so far. not for a good few years though

Nepotism only carried him so far I guess…

• nate says:

i think it was on tatame or somewhere else, but apparently he was injured during most of his camp & did not train properly for this fight. not to make excuses but it seems he is another gracie to fall victim to their own hype & believe they can beat everyone in any kind of shape. :-\ it is a damn shame ryan gracie is gone.

• Rich S. says:

It’s about time..
    I was starting to think they were actually going to give him another chance..

• LiverPunch says:

I said this was the worst UFC Card I had watched in ages and all of this axing just verifies it. It was a terrible display of MMA. The PPV that is.

• dpk says:

This is good for Rolles. He can make up his mind if he wants to be a MMA fighter, or just a BJJ competitor and coach. He will need at least 3-4 wins outside of UFC before they give him another chance. At least one of those wins will have to be over a top prospect or name opponent.

I see the UFC HW division experiencing some big turn-over in fighters over the next few months. They have 3 fights that I see as loser leave town fights
    Cro Cop v Rothwell; Buentello v Kongo; and Shaub v Gromley. I also think Hardonk, Yvel, and Tuchshcerer could be on their way out with one more loss. I’m interested to see what prospects come in to fill the vacancies that will be opening up.