Gegard Mousasi splits with M-1 Global

Photo by Esther Lin/STRIKEFORCE

Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi has parted ways with his long time management team, M-1 Global.

M-1 Global currently manage Fedor Emelianenko and have watched over the career of Mousasui as the fast rising twenty-four year old captured titles under both the DREAM and Strikeforce banners.

“After careful consideration, I have decided that it is in my best interest to part ways with M-1 Global,” stated Mousasi in a recent email to Sherdog.com. “During the time I spent under their wing, M-1 Global, as a promoter and management company, allowed me to achieve many great things. I appreciate all they have done for me.”

Mousasi did not reveal who he will represented by from here forth, but only stated, “My management is being taken care of by someone close to me.”

According to Apy Echteld, a represenative of M-1 Global, the move was strictly business.

“The business relationship with M-1 Global is over,” said Echteld. “It was a business decision, but not a personal one and there are no hard feelings.”

• Kuch says:

I have to wonder if this will be the start of Mousasi pursuing a contract with the UFC.

• Angry Mike says:

Hopefully this is a step towards UFC. The guy has outgrown the other org’s. The only legit fight left for him in Strikeforce is Hendo, and once that’s done his only challenges are in the UFC.

• Lethal Liquid says:

• KTru says:

Lethal Liquid: Mousasi who think is overrated would be shark bait at 185lbs and 205 lbs. He would be competitive but would never reach title contention

I could not disagree anymore.

at 24 years of age he is only getting better and already is on the verge of top 5 LHW in the world

• retrofitting123 says:

HED BE awsome at 185 but attcking 205 in ufc is a tall order-

• TURKISH says:

The man is changing his management team not announcing he’s signing a contract with the UFC.

I don’t understand why people jump to conclusions and post nonsense when they’re obviously missing facts.
    Which are Mousasi has 2 fights left on his Strikeforce deal and he just signed a new 6 fight deal with Dream.
    He’s not going to the UFC anytime soon.

• xtreme_machine says:

before 2012

i think he can see Anderson Silva vs Gegard Mousasi @ 185 or 205

but i hope is @ 205 because they both look best at that weight class

• HoWdYmAn25 says:

Of course he coming to the UFC. He trained with GSP, he breaks up with M1… Doesn’t take a genius to see what’s gonna happen!! I think he’ll be a good 185 but he seems a tad light to be at 205. He’s fun to watch also!

• qat says:

i heavily doubt he will go down to 185, he always said sooner or later he wants to go hw. hope hes gonna sign with the ufc soon.

• hindsightufuk says:

this is great news, it can only benefit Gegard.
    And i am jumping to the conclusion that he will be part of the UFC before the year is out.

Good Business Decision……

• Dufresne says:

Not sure if he’s going to head to the UFC this year or not. I think he’ll probably finish up his contract with SF and see what the offers are from all the major players.
    I know he’s got a contract with DREAM, but I don’t think he’ll give dropping it a second thought if the money is right elsewhere.

I’m also curious as to how this will affect his paydays. The numbers released by SF before were incredibly low and I have to think that a large part of his purse was going to M1 before being funneled back into his pockets after commissions and whatnot.

• Guthookd says:

UFC LHWs take note. He’s coming.

• Jak says:

Guthookd: UFC LHWs take note.He’s coming.

Lil Nog, Shogun, Machida, Rampage, Anderson Silva….

d*mn i can’t think of any fights that would be exciting…. :)

Other MMA Site Reported:

“…the decision to leave was made when an M-1 executive elected not to sign a long-term management proposal that would have given the Dutch-Armenian fighter “lifetime security” – a deal similar to one held by Fedor Emelianenko. ”

Guess they didn’t think he deserved it?…Guess Fedor isn’t his butt buddy after all… He must have some say in M-1 owning a small portion?? He can’t ask the Mgmt team to take care of another fighter whom he trains with and considers a friend… guess just like any anything else it’s truly just business

• Lethal Liquid says:

I think if Mousasi and Henderson hook it up then we’ll learn if the hype is for real or if he’s a good fighter facing lesser competition. I see HEnderson trampling him in a GnP beatdown

• Jak says:

Rece Rock: Guess they didn’t think he deserved it?…

Seeing as he is at the mercy of fighting under M-1 co promotions, there would be little reason to not want the same security as M-1’s only other notable fighter.

Fedor is not going to fight forever and Mousasi is only 24, he likely knows he’s got quite a bit of stock and without getting a good deal has little reason to be with M-1.

• retrofitting123 says:

like i said on junkie-i hope he doesnt have a freak accident in the coming days after breaking contract like stray bullet or the random car explosion

• hindsightufuk says:

and Moussasi and Fedor weren’t ever that close, they trained together a few times is all. travelled in the same parties. its not like they were pals or anything

• MMA-LOGIC says:

He has contracts elsewhere people! I am not sure but if you sign a contract it is usually binding.
    If he can get out of contracts with Dream and SF he may, MAY go to the UFC.
    This is like any UFC fighter leaving their managment, does it mean they are going to leave the UFC when that happens?. Anytime something happensout of the UFC you all assume it is a sign that they are going to the UFC. But it never is.

• LiverPunch says:

He may go to the UFC some day. The LHW division may be stronger out of the UFC some day too.
    Honestly it is like a bunch of girls getting their hair done around here.
    -“…did you here that Fedor and Mousasi never really got along?”.
    -“I know, Mousasi deserves so much better than M1”.
    -“Yeah it is better that they split up, he should go for a nice man, like that Dana White”.
    -“Yes! that is what I keep saying to him but he wont listen.”

@jak

i was being sarcastistic….

M-1 missed the bus on this deal.

• ty appleyard says:

• moosebaby02 says:

ty appleyard: I dont think this has anything to do with Mousassi signing with the UFC. However, I do think that since he has been hangin with GSP he has seen the opportunities that GSP gets and has decided to roll the dice with GSP’s management team.  (Quote)

and the best part about that is that it was reported as a joke a few days or so back. this dosent surprise me at all

• moosebaby02 says:

oh and not on this site. but it was a joke and kinda of a serious note to it as well. i just brushed it off at the time. but reading about it made me remembre about it

• ctownhood says:

Wow..we can only hope Fedor follows suit soon……