UFC 109 Live Results

FiveOuncesofPain.com is here to bring you all of the latest results from UFC 109 as they take place.

UFC 109 is taking place this evening from Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, with the main portion of the card airing live on pay-per-view and a portion of the preliminary broadcast airing on Spike TV.

Randy Couture will be facing of with Mark Coleman in the main event of the evening, while Nate Marquardt and Chael Sonnen will be going at it in tonight’s co-headliner.

A full set of results from the card are listed below:

Joey Beltran def. Rolles Gracie via TKO – Round 2

Chris Tuchscherer def. Tim Hague via majority decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-28)

Phil Davis def. Brian Stann via unanimous decision

Rob Emerson def. Phillipe Nover via unanimous decision

Melvin Guillard def. Ronys Torres via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

Mac Danzig def. Justin Buchholz via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

Matt Serra def. Frank Trigg via knockout – round 1

Demian Maia def. Dan Miller via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)

Paulo Thiago def Mike Swick via Submission (darce choke) Round 2.

NATE MARQUARDT VS. CHAEL SONNEN

MARK COLEMAN VS. RANDY COUTURE

• hindsightufuk says:

i see a night of decisions on the main card. which is a shame cos there could be a few one rounders underneath them that most likely wont get shown.
    so who is the 6th fight on the main card? surely not Danzig vs Buchholz?
    who are the televised prelims on this one?
    this looks a really mediocre card, dont get me wrong i’m really looking forward to it, but fuck me i’m glad its free for me and i dont have to pay $45 for it. fuck that. i’m interested to see how the fights turn out but i’m just not stoked for anything other than the headliner and the Nate fight

• Rich S. says:

The Danzig and Guillard fights are the aired prelims, I believe..
    And, with Guillard’s knockout power and/or submission defense taken into account, it should be a quick one either way.. So we’ll probably see more than just those two..

• Kamakosmo says:

Hindsight…no way it’s free for you! You gots to be bringing beer, or wings! Nothing is free! LOL!
    I was on the fence with this card, as was all my boys….but, as always, everyone said let’s do it! ENJOY!!!

I say Coleman by Neck Crank!!! Yes, I watched the “Best of Pride” last night!!! Lay off!!! However, it would be a minor miracle if Mark Subs/Decisions Randy, no? No matter how much fake orange tan he smears onto Randy! I smell a conspiracy!!!

• Kamakosmo says:

Oh yeah….Rich, Guillard loses by submission (again) tonight. Very exciting fighter, but not the smartest.

• hindsightufuk says:

I reckon mark will dominate with headbuts until he gasses and randy will get the devastating head kick knockout

• cocoonofhorror says:

fucking Holes.

• king mah mah says:

Oh yeah! I’m back bitches! I’ll be watching live and talking shit here! I think this card is better than it seems. I’m excited! Randy wins by KO tonight. Nate wins by TKO. Serra wins by TKO/SUB. Swick by TKO. Maia by SUB. Have fun fellas! I know I will. See ya during the event! Peace.

• holy smokes. I wasn’t betting against rolles because he’s is a Gracie with a decorated turni background knowing I can’t bet against a KO artist either. Surprise for me..the unknown KO artist won. Another Cain Velazquez ??

• fanoftna33 says:

Serra Just koed Trigg, great for Serra but to bad for Trigg I would have liked for him to look a little better than 2 ko losses.

• fanoftna33 says:

Sucks that Gracie lost but he had very little mma experience, perhaps he was brought along to quickly(unlike Strikeforce and Bobby Lashly(

• fanoftna33 says:

Yes Paulo won vs Swick now he can get some overdue recognition in the ufc.

• king mah mah says:

Nate is gonna KO Chael tonight! Mark my words!………………..I hope! LOL!

• fanoftna33 says:

And he stopped him which nobody has done for quite a while.

• king mah mah says:

Randy is gonna KO Coleman tonight! No doubt!

• fanoftna33 says:

Sonnen I think will take this one, although I would rather Nate won but I see Sonnen taking Nate down for three rounds and getting a very boring UD.

• Paulo Thiago is no joke. I’m on the band wagon

• Lethal Liquid says:

Paulo Thiago what a sleek finish. Dude might be next in line for Gsp to stomp out

• fanoftna33 says:

I am a big fan of Paulo( and anyone who comes in to take two of three from aka). First round for Sonnen.

• Lethal Liquid says:

Holy shit what a fight!!! Nate was not prepared for Sonnen’s GnP. Damn Nate

• fanoftna33 says:

I called it but it sucks, Sonnen just has way better wrestling, Dana is cussing way more than normal because this makes for a very boring title fight.

• spike isn’t playing the pre lims yet again

• fanoftna33 says:

pretty good night of fights

• dstager says:

• dstager: I was really annoyed with Joe Rogan’s commentary during the Maia vs. Miller fight. IMO Maia showed dramatic improvement in his standup game and if Joe thought it was subpar, well maybe he should suck my dick.

LMOA . you want Joe Rogan to suck you dick..ug ralf

• xtreme_machine says:

CHAEL SONNEN

upset of the year

• Jstew3785 says:

dstager: I was really annoyed with Joe Rogan’s commentary during the Maia vs. Miller fight. IMO Maia showed dramatic improvement in his standup game and if Joe thought it was subpar, well maybe he should suck my dick.  (Quote)

I guess the truth hurts. Maia’s standup is subpar. He’s working on it, but it still sucks. There’s other ways to get your point across too man. Unless you really do want a BJ from Rogan…..

• cocoonofhorror says:

7-3 tonight, missed on Torres, Marquardt, and Holes.

• cocoonofhorror says:

agreed.

• cocoonofhorror says:

xtreme_machine: CHAEL SONNENupset of the year

agreed

• I want to see Randy vs Shogun now

• mu_shin says:

Paulo Thiago is definitely for real. That darce choke was slick, against a good fighter, set up with a nice overhand shot. He should get some recognition, and move up in the rankings.

Good win for Serra, powerful victory for Randy, but fight of the night for me was Chael Sonnen. Great win, excellent gameplan and follow through, terrific concentration through the blood, and a definite upset over a strong opponent.

• 27jride says:

I wanted him to win but where are all th e marquadt – nut-huggers now?!

• Rich S. says:

I’ll be surprised if we don’t find out Marquardt was sick or battling some kind of injury over the next couple days.. easily one of the most uncharacteristic performances I’ve ever seen..

• elkymbo says:

Everyone can say what they want but that Marquadt Sonnen fight was one of the best fights I’ve seen in a while. Even though Nate was on his back most of the fight Chael’s face was the most busted up and when Nate got on top in the 3rd round me and the boys were out of our chairs!!!

And by the way it sounded like everyone had, had a few beers during this little blog off.

Me, my beverage of choice was rum.

Good times.

• 27jride says:

Hey elkymbo, I just got on here to write my comment and found out that apparently I took care of that last night….. you could say that I had a few in me.

• Nick Havok says:

What a weak ass night of fights.

6 boring ass decisions going into the main event with the one and only finsih coming at the hands of Matt Serra against Frank Trigg who shouldn’t even be in the UFC let alone a PPV main event slot. Good lord, Trigg can’t even survive to see rd 2 in his recent UFC comeback…and now he gets KO’d by Matt Serra who’s arms resemble that of a Tyranosaurus Rex.

Then the only other stoppage of the night is against another scrub who should no longer be employed as a fighter in the UFC either, Mark Coleman. He looked crusty-old.

Fuckin lame ass card from the UFC!

The people at the house I went to were so uninterested in the fights (because they all sucked!) that I actually had to remind people that the TV was paused and we still had the main event to watch. We finally watched it about an hour later.

When is the next Strikeforce card? I need some exciting MMA that holds my attention.

• Nick Havok says:

Oh, my bad, forgot about the Mike Swick finish.

But I wrote that fight off as insignifigant anyway. It just further proves how overated the reality show contestant really is.

I mean the guy is good against Gideon Ray level opponenets…but anyone who is worth a poo makes him look stupid.

He did gasp and twitch like a guppie out of water though after Thiago was done with him…that was kinda cool.

• Makington says:

I wonder how Swick feels today knowing that a couple months ago he was the next guy to fight GSP, and now he’s lucky if anyone will put him in the top 10. I was super impressed by Thiago but I don’t know if I’m on the bandwagon just yet. I still need a bit of convincing but we’ll see.

Sonnen also surprised me how easily he made Nate look like a chump. Looks like the only way we’ll be seeing Marquardt vs Silva will be if Anderson loses too, which would make for one hell of a rematch to see who fights for the belt again. I guess now that Sonnen has been trying to talk a bit more crap lately to get people interested in him will only help, but I don’t see his title shot being much of a blockbuster fight.

• Nick Havok says:

Makington: Yes Nick, we know. The UFC is the worst promotion in the planet that is filled with scumbags and baby killers.

You’re on the right track, but Rampage is the only baby killer that I know of that is a UFC fighter…so to say that the promotion is filled with them is somewhat of a stretch.

• Kuch says:

What a troll.

• Nick Havok says:

Kuch: What a troll.

Actually, my buddy who shelled out the whopping $60 for this craptastic card requested that I get online today and post about how poor the event was.

He was pretty pissed he wasted all that money…and it was his last request to me before I left.

Therefore, I speak on behalf of all casual fans who don’t go online to voice their opinions. Because I’m sure he wasn’t the only one who felt that way.

• Rich S. says:

Well, I was hoping they’d write an Aftermath article but I guess not.. So, I’ll have to leave my rant here..

I don’t do this too often, but I’m about to get raw..

1. What the hell was that, Coleman?That was the most pathetic, embarrassing, hard-to-watch fight I’ve ever seen.. Me and my dad both agreed that he seemed medicated.. His head was way up in the air and he was extremely slow.. Quite honestly, Randy should’ve finished that alot earlier, and he could’ve easily if he wasn’t so damn in love with cage work.. Mark captures my heart with his Countdown to 109 clips, gains my respect and willingness to root for him, and then he fails to mount any kind of offense whatsoever.. And then he has the audacity to say he’s not done and he’s got a couple more fights in him? Mayyyyyyyybe, but that’s a huge stretch, and they certainly wouldn’t be in the UFC.. I’m still having a hard time seeing who else Randy can beat, let alone the far worse Coleman..

Which leads me to my next point, why all the talk about Randy “still getting better” or “being better than ever”.. This was by far the easiest fight he’s ever had.. Did he even get hit 5 times? I’m not sure he did.. I guess it was impressive, but when you take into account the fact that he was practically shadowboxing (i.e. no response from Coleman), it’s not that great..

2. Rolles Gracie made a fool of himself and I’m sure he got a good chewing out after the fight.. Not only is it a disgrace to his family to gas so quickly, but then he just rolled over and gave up.. I suppose the Mexecutioner looked impressive, but I’d be surprised if Rolles still has a spot in the UFC..

3. I think Swick’s problem has finally been identified.. His famous speed that helped him out so much in early bouts, is becoming the death of him.. He’s very fast, but that means nothing when you rush into your opponents big hook.. I know he doesn’t just want to settle for decisions, but as far as I’m concerned, his aggressiveness has gotten him rocked, and ultimately a loss in two consecutive fights now..

4. Maia’s striking looked alot better but why did he have so many problems on the ground? I just found that weird.. Maia, we now know you’ve been working on your striking, now please go back to what you’re best at..

5. As mentioned before, I truly believe that Marquardt was either sick or injured.. I guess his pride wouldn’t allow him to make excuses for himself, but I’m sure of it.. No credit taken from Chael, I like the guy, but we have NEVER seen that happen to Nate.. Also, why wouldn’t a BJJ Black Belt go for a single submission from bottom? I don’t think he wanted to be there..

Also, folks, this isn’t just crazy superstition, it is simply factual in the world of MMA.. When you are so sure of someone winning, TOO sure even, they are bound to lose.. Was there a single MMA fan on Earth that had Chael winning? I’d like to think not.. Yet, now the headlines will read “Chael utterly dominates Nate for 3 rounds”.. Look at GSP/Serra, Gonzaga/Cro Cop, Evans/Liddell, there’s countless proof..

• hindsightufuk says:

while i wouldnt quite express myself the same way as NIck Havoc, i’m not far off in agreement.

I’m no hater on the UFC but seriously, if Joey Beltran, Rolles Gracie, Chris Tuchscherer & Tim Hague are the best heavy weights you can come up with for a PPV undercard, you need to worry.

I never thought all these folks talking about over saturation by the UFC made an ounce of sense, but when you look at last night, i’m almost inclined to agree with them. That really was a poor card if you look at it top to bottom. but if you get rid of the new Versus card and replace two or three fights it would have been solid. In fact just look at the quality in the Versus card and tell me its not 10 times more exciting than this ppv event. I just dont get it, maybe it really is just bad luck but UFC ppv’s are getting less and less satisfaying all the time.

That being said, the positives for me….

Phil Davis = animal! if only he knew some submissions that fight would have been stopped. Oppurtunities for armbars/D’arce/Brabo/RNC/arm triangles a plenty. exciting fighter.

Matt Serra, good to see him win, get rid of Trigg at the same time, the whining fuck, fuck him even more when he has hair

Great sub by Paulo, we all know that was the real submission of the night. Guys a tough fucker

Chael deserves a title shot for absolutely dominating the undisputed number one challernger in the MW division. I’m not a huge fan of his, but if you can make Nate look like a mug, you deserve to take his place

Randy, way to go, love the guy, wanna see some more super fights.

• submit662266 says:

First off, I’m getting on the Sonnen bandwagon. I was thinking that there may be something to the idea of Nate being sick or something EXCEPT that Sonnen just did the same thing to Okami. Both are contenders, and Chael figured them both out. He’s talking big and backing it up. I just might vote for the som-bitch.

Second, I agree that the UFC has reached over-saturation (too much of a good thing). I thought this card had 2 fights that were compelling (Sonnen/Marquart and Thiago/Swick). I did not watch it (fucking thieves stole our TV) and I don’t feel like I missed anything.

Third, I think Randy should have to beat Rampage, Forrest, Bones, or Rashad to be considered for a title-shot. He BARELY survived against Vera (mediocre and the most disappointing UFC fighter). Title shots are not always earned by performance in the cage though. They are mostly (not always) given to the two guys who will sell the most tic’s and PPV’s(No news here). Randy is still one of the top guys to sell tickets. Everybody loves him (I’ve got a man-crush on the guy, I won’t lie), and if he’s in a title fight, it is big time $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

• Rich S. says:

That’s something I forgot to touch on, submit662266..
    I’m hoping, HOPING that Randy doesn’t get a title shot after this..
    If he somehow manages to sail his way to a LHW title shot without fighting Rampage, Rashad, Shogun, Bones, or even Forrest, all fights he stands little chance in winning, I’ll be angry..
    I’m a fan of Randy, but he doesn’t deserve any special treatment..

• Lethal Liquid says:

I hope that’s the last we’ve seen of Coleman that was horrible. He was a human punching bag. Chael earned that victory the asshole that he is but Nate was a huge dissappointment. If Nate was too have matchup with Henderson this result could’ve been the same. Paulo that was well rounded skill at its best