Winner of Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen guaranteed title shot

It’s official, the winner of Saturday evening’s middleweight showdown between Nate Marquardt and Chael Sonnen will be fighting for the title in their next outing.

UFC President Dana White made the number one contender match-up official this afternoon during the UFC 109 press conference.

Marquardt and Sonnen are set to face off for the championship bid at UFC 109 in Las Vegas.

Marquardt is on a three fight win streak in the UFC, while Sonnen has come out victorious in his last two outings with the promotion.

• Guthookd says:

So I guess that means A. Silva was right…..Nate is the next MW champ.

• Kuch says:

I don’t see Sonnen doing well in this unless he manages to hold down Nate for an obscene amount of time.

• darth_irritable says:

WTF? Chael Sonnen?

Actually Guthookd – this could put Sonnen on the throne before Nate.

I think Silva will destroy Nate, which will set him back a year from the title.

In a close loss, Sonnen could end up fighting for it against Maia or someone else after Silva retires. I suspect Sonnen has a better shot against the #2 or #3 than Nate does against Silva….

• fanoftna33 says:

I like Nate and his style since his loss to Silve has been very exciting but Sonnen has the great ability to get the takedown and may be able to smother Nate for the win. The only good that will come from that is that we get to see how badly Anderson kicks Sonnen’s butt for all the trash he has been putting out.

• moosebaby02 says:

i dont see this going well in any ways for sonnen. Nate by tko in the 2nd

• Nate has a much more explosive style and gameplans with the best. I can almost guarantee you that he would have fought tooth and nail to keep his fight with Maia on its feet had he not KOed the grappler so quickly.

Nate’s only really lost once in his entire UFC career and he has improved amazingly in the past two and a half years since his failed title bid.

Silva/Marquardt II has me chomping at the bit. After Silva/Belfort and Shields/Hendo, it’ll be the only MW fight that matters.

• Makington says:

That’s right Sergio, at this point I would hardly consider it a rematch against Silva for Marquardt because of how much he’s changed. That was as close to a different fighter as he could get. I also basically consider him having a win against Thales Leites because of the point deductions. The first one I thought was legit, but the second seemed questionable to me.

I’ve been waiting a long time to see Nate get his second shot at the belt and I’m hoping pretty hard that Sonnen doesn’t go al Sonnen on Nate and hold the crap out of him all fight. I think Nate’s better than the guy you can hold down 3 rounds but I’m sure Chael will be trying his best to turn it into a boring fight. I can see why he’s doing it, and I don’t fault him for it, but it’s not easy to watch. A title shot is a big deal.

• Rich S. says:

Not sure if I can say anything that hasn’t been said..

I hope and pray that Chael Sonnen doesn’t get some miracle fluke victory here, because he’s hardly deserving of a fight with Anderson Silva, and Nate is the 2nd best fighter in a division unfortunate enough to house the world’s best fighter..

His lone loss (he beat Leites) in the UFC coming at the hands of Spider, he seems to be better than ever with heavier hands, and more technical striking.. And of course, his ground game is top notch..

This is going to sound like my Hendo/Shields comparison, but Nate is basically Chael, only with more explosiveness, better cardio, stronger wrestling, better submissions, heavier hands, and better, more diverse striking.. There’s really no reason why he shouldn’t dominate this fight..

• thunder okami says:

all this makes me think is……Marquardt…DONT LOSE THIS!

i dont want another dan hardy title shot outcome happening.

• Nick Havok says:

When have I heard this before?

Pretty much nobody.

Strikeforce on the other hand…well, we won’t go there.

Sonnen has all of a sudden become very vocal…hopefully somebody cracks his wanna be politician ass…

• Nick Havok: When have I heard this before?But yeah, makes sense. Who else does the UFC have at MW who is worthy of a whif of Anderson’s belt.Pretty much nobody.Strikeforce on the other hand…well, we won’t go there.  (Quote)

Really Nick? Come on man, quit letting your dislike of Dana and the UFCs attempt at monopoly blind you. Who in Strikeforce beats Nate? Sheilds? No way,Nate can hang on the ground with Jake and Nate would smash him standing up! Hendo, maybe, but only by lay and pray or NASTY right hand. Mousasi? possibly but it’d be a war to the end. Melvin? Maybe, but he got sloppy against a much less formidable foe than The Great, and Nate would’ve been just as in Melvin’s face as Melvin was his.
    The Spider would run over all four and has run over one of them.

A. Silva vs. Sheilds (Anderson Via submission due to strikes)
    A. Silva Vs. Mousasi (Anderson Via KO)
    A Silva vs. Manhoef (Anderson Via SPECTACULAR counter KO)

Who else?

• baldguy80 says:

I’d agree that Nate is the #1 contender, but Chael?? C’mon.. He’s not even a gatekeeper..

• LiverPunch says:

Sorry Superd but there are two things I know for sure in this world. 1, I don’t know who would win fights between UFC fighters and non UFC fighters and 2, you don’t either. it is easy to say UFC fighter A would beat non UFC fighter A,B and C because it is rarely ever tested. What I do know is that UFC champions and top fighters have left the UFC and had multiple losses and new guys to the UFC such as Machida have just run through the established UFC dudes. So in conclusion what evidence is there anywhere, ever that UFC fighters are of a higher standard than top fighters out of the UFC?. I have never seen any. We have no idea how well Lesnar would do against Barnett and Fedor or How Machida would do against Mousasi, how about GSP against Sheids or Diaz? We don’t know how it would go down. I am not sure why so many people think A.Silva will beat Belfort either. Belfort has a higher KO % and is a world class BJJJ guy. Personally I think he has been in the cage against a higher class of opponent too. If Belfort brings his a game I think he beats A.Silva by KO, I think he would beat either Nate or Chonnen too.

• Jstew3785 says:

Okay, so if Nate beats Chael he deserves a title shot? A lot of people already feel he deserves a shot even before this fight was made. So if Chael can actually beat Nate, probably the #2 MW in the world, why would that NOT warrant him a title shot? That would be extremely impressive in my book and I for one would not argue with Chael getting the shot.