WEC to offer twin title fights on inaugural PPV event

Though rumors have long been circulating in regards to World Extreme Cagefighting testing the waters of PPV, nothing conclusive had ever surfaced regarding the card’s line-up, location, or date…until now! WEC CEO Reed Harris recently spoke with the Associated Press, stating the company is targeting April 24th and Sacramento to put on “the biggest event we’ve ever done.”

The show will feature former featherweight champion Urijah Faber attempting to reclaim the 145-pound strap in front of his hometown fans with current title-holder Jose Aldo standing in his way. Aldo is 16-1 and has won his last nine fights.

Harris also announced Aldo’s fellow promotional champ, Benson Henderson, will defend his lightweight belt against Donald Cerrone in a rematch from their October 2009 fight in which “Smooth” earned a unanimous decision win. It will be Henderson’s first defense of the title since submitting Jamie Varner at WEC 46 and eliminating the “interim” tag previously attached to his name.

Additionally, former WEC Featherweight Champion Mike Brown and TUF 5 finalist Manny Gamburyan will lock horns on the undercard in a bout likely determining the next opponent for whomever emerges victorious between Aldo and Faber.

It is expected the PPV will cost $44.99 to order.

• Lethal Liquid says:

I love the main event but that price tag gonna hurt them. Kinda hard forking over the dough when you’re used to getting these fights for free

• newyorkmcgee says:

i like how that card is shaping up…and i get that they are putting their best foot forward on their first PPV…but i have to agree with lethal liquid…that price is out of line. a 24.95 introductory price would have been nice…

I just hope the local sports bars will carry it…man i want to see cerrone/henderson go to war again.

• ColinL says:

I enjoy the WEC a lot but I’m going to vote with my wallet.

No, I will not pay this. I want it to fail.

Then merge the wec and ufc, or make the wec replace ‘ultimate fight night’ and similar pay tv. Either way, I want championship fights on a ppv and up and comers on free tv, plus a few veteran fighters, to lend a little star power. And let’s be honest: the ufc’s best already don’t go near the fight night free shows, anyway.

I can hardly stand to pay 45 a month for UFC ppvs, and there is no way I’m shelling out another 45 rapid fire for this braced between two UFC shows.

• newyorkmcgee says:

really they should put WEC title fights on the weaker UFC PPV cards..give them a little shine with those champion belts, give those fighters a bigger payday being on the bigger show. Use the WEC fights on the ufc ppvs to promote an upcoming versus card…use the versus cards to promote the title fights on the ufc ppvs.

• fanoftna33 says:

this card is well worth the money but with Sac only a 5 hour drive from here I will have to go see it if only to see Gamburyan get ktfo, I guess I will have to settle for a few other awesome fights also.

• fanoftna33 says:

Not that I dont like Manny, its just that I am a big fan of Brown and hope he wins big. But it will be a tough fight.

• dpk says:

I agree with ColinL. This is a great card, but I hope it fails, and Zuffa decides to merge WEC with UFC. These 3 fights that were announced would look awesome added to any of the UFC 112/113/114 cards.

Please Zuffa just merge UFC and WEC, that way both your free shows, and PPVs will be so much deeper. Now that UFC is on Versus it makes no sense to keep the two organizations separate.

• Nick Havok says:

Not buying!

F Zuffa. Greedy bunch of dickwads.

• CatchWrestling101 says:

As much as I love mma and I am probably going to catch slack from this……I don’t watch nor do I like the WEC. I like some of the fights but as a card in whole…….no thanks. Last thing I want to see is a WEC/UFC merger. I will admit this new card is looking decent, worth watching for once on free tv, but a 44.99 ppv. And that 44.99 price tag is standard def. I don’t know about other cable/satellite providers but if you have dish network you will have to add another 10.00 to watch in HD. 54.99……..no thanks, I will watch the Faber/Aldo fight on mmalinker the next day.

• Lethal Liquid says:

I for the life of me can’t see why the merger doesn’t occur. Lord knows a card like 109 could use a boost. There must be a payroll or tax issue to explain why they haven’t combined both rosters completely. That’s a story worth investigating

Word on the street is SF is trying to change there April show to counter the WEC PPV… Bad news for Zuffa, if this is true… Fedor and possibly Hendo will be on that card for FREE?!

WOW Cokers got Ballz all of a sudden!

• KTru says:

Nick Havok: Not buying!F Zuffa. Greedy bunch of dickwads.

I am quite sure they could care less about your buy.

But it’s quite entertaining for hating Zuffa so much, you have an opinion on every one of their stories. You seem to have an twisted infatuation with the organization

• Dufresne says:

I know everyone is used to getting this for free, but I have no problem shelling out $45 for a card like this. I’m more excited for this WEC card than I was for UFC 108 or the upcoming 109.

Aldo v Faber is a fight everyone was yelling for a few months back and Cowboy v Hendersen is going to be the rematch of the year and everyone is pissed about having to pay for it? Really? You’ll pay the same amount to watch Rashad out point Thiago for 15 boring minutes, but you won’t pay for 2 championship bouts that are guaranteed to be exciting?

The WEC is probably #2 in the MMA world as far as production and commentating goes, WAY better than SF in those fields, the fights on this card would be UFC main card worthy if they ever did merge the two, and just because we’re used to getting this for free people are gonna whine and complain. Ridiculous.

• Xspur says:

First of all, to the person that said their a big MMA fan but don’t like the WEC, what?!? Just like in boxing, the lighter weights provide consistent competitive, exciting matches. I think you just don’t know many of them, so it’s hard to be a fan. Just watch and get to know them, you will come to love em’. Secondly, I am bummed that WEC is going to PPV. I, like so many of you, LOVED the fact that we could get such awesome fights for free. However, that particular card is one that I’ll pay to see. How can you miss Faber vs Aldo? Remember how close Cerrone was to submitting Henderson in their first match? I am very excited for this rematch. If the WEC does continue to put on PPV’s they better find a way to make all the cards as big as this one. Because like someone else said, between the 45 bucks we shell out monthly for UFC fights, it just isn’t cost effective to double that up in a month unless the card is a “can’t miss” like this one.
    ……Who am i kidding, I’ll buy them all. Like I always do. SF, Bel, WEC, UFC. w/e I’m in.
    DAMN YOU MMA! YOU”RE WORSE THAN POKER!

• 3OAM says:

I’m far too broke for this sport.

• Rich S. says:

I don’t like that they’re slowly going PPV, but that’s certainly a PPV-worthy card..

UFC needs to get on Network TV so they can get top dollar for advertising ( keep themselves rich) and give us free MMA ! Have PPV once in a blue for championship titles cards

• hindsightufuk says:

only thing that peeves me a little is Faber getting yet another title shot, they have to get a deeper pool of fighters or it becomes a joke. There are too many rematches going on. Dont get me wrong, Aldo/Faber & Henderson/Cerrone will both be awesome to watch and i would never miss them, but they cant just keep rotating the same group of fighters.
    If they do merge with the UFC hopefully some of the smaller LW guys in the UFC will drop, and maybe some of the bigger FW fighters will consider the jump up

• fanoftna33 says:

I would really like to see some of the ufc 155 fighters go to the wec and give us some good match ups. Guys like Jeremy Stephens wont ever be champ in the ufc but he could really do good things in the wec. The LW pool in the ufc is huge right now so dropping a few to the wec wouldnt hurt them at all.

• Nick Havok says:

3OAM: I’m far too broke for this sport.

Hahahaha!

It’s not the sport you can’t afford though…just Zuffa products.