Nick Diaz, Robbie Lawler pocket six-figures for Strikeforce wins

Shortly after scoring a TKO win over Marius Zaromskis at “Strikeforce – Miami”, newly crowned welterweight champion Nick Diaz informed viewers at home that he just wanted to eat. According to figures published by MMAJunkie it looks like Diaz should be able to afford enough munchies to satisfy his hunger for quite some time.

The Stockton native earned $100,000 for his efforts at the event and was only matched in salary by Robbie Lawler who took advantage of Miami’s nickname (“Magic City”) after sustaining a number of powerful strikes from opponent Melvin Manhoef and pulled a knockout out of his hat.

On the opposite end of the spectrum was football legend Herschel Walker. The Heisman Trophy winner was listed as having only been paid $600 for running over Greg Nagy in his professional debut. However, Walker donated the bulk of his actual pay to charity thereby resulting in the significantly small amount reported by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation.

Here is a complete rundown of “Strikeforce – Miami” payment information made available including event-specific bonuses:

John Kelly: $2,000 (includes $1,000 win bonus) def. Sabah Homasi: $1,000

Hayder Hassan: $2,000 (includes $1,000 win bonus) def. Ryan Keenan: $2,000

Pablo Alfonso: $3,000 (includes $1,500 win bonus) def. Marcos DaMatta: $2,500

David Gomez: $2,000 (includes $1,000 win bonus) def. Craig Oxley: $1,500

Joe Ray: $1,500 (includes $500 win bonus) def. John Clarke: $1,000

Michael Byrnes: $2,000 (includes $1,000 win bonus) def. David Zitnik: $1,500

Jay Hieron: $65,000 (includes $35,000 win bonus) def. Joe Riggs: $30,000

Bobby Lashley: $50,000 def. Wes Sims: $25,000

Robbie Lawler: $100,000 def. Melvin Manhoef: $5,000

Herschel Walker: $600 def. Greg Nagy: $5,000

Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos: $35,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus / $5,000 “championship” bonus) def. Marloes Coenen: $2,000

Nick Diaz: $100,000 def. Marius Zaromskis: $30,000

• hindsightufuk says:

both those guys deserve 6 figures

• Rich S. says:

The fact that Manhoef left with the same amount as Nagy is just bad..

And 5-fight-Lashley leaves with 50 g’s? Maybe I can understand the hostility towards him, now..

• Guthookd says:

I agree. Two fighters I always want to watch. They deserve it.
    ———–
    I think they really need to stop wasting undercard fights by not airing them.

John Kelly: Sabah Homasi:
    Hayder Hassan: Ryan Keenan:
    Pablo Alfonso: Marcos DaMatta:
    David Gomez: . Craig Oxley:
    Joe Ray: John Clarke:
    Michael Byrnes: David Zitnik:

Maybe I’m just not as hardcore of a MMA enthusiast as I think I am, but I feel like I should know who these guys are. I really hope Strikeforce gets something worked out with another cable channel to start airing these undercards before the main show. Even a net stream would work for me. Not to mention if they could bring in some revenue from the undercard maybe they could pay these guys a little more. When your whole purse is only 5K, even another 1K constitutes a 20% increase in compensation.

Come on Strikeforce…..we want to see your up and coming fighters work their way to the main card.

• slayer6 says:

Manhoef definately made more than 5K. Im sure its something to do with his contract, or sponsors, or some crap, similar to how Fedors paychecks show up. Strikeforce might not have a bad idea, pay all the fighters on the card nothing, except the main attractions. But if they are going to pay the one trick pony Lashley 50K, they might want to let him fight someone that wont just lay on their belly and take head shots.

• kentuckyfightfan says:

Hahaha! And people say UFC doesn’t pay fighters well! I get so tired of people saying UFC doesn’t treat their guys well. The lowest guy on a UFC undercard gets paid more than what half of Strikeforces card does.

• Makington says:

Wes Sims: 25000?! Manhoef: 5000?! Coenen: 2000?!

That can’t be all they were paid for that. Coenen could probably destroy Sims, made the co main event and only pulled in 2k. I’m going to agree with slayer and assume it’s how they pay their oversea fighters when they fight here because that’s highway robbery.

• Dufresne says:

There has to be some sort of contract with a lot of these fighters managers for them to be getting this kind of pay.

Anyone else notice that Walker got $600 for a win??? I know he’s not in it for the money, but come on! The win bonus for local bar tough man competitions is higher than that! I know he’s not a veteran or anything, but I can’t believe that a major promotion like SF would pay a main card fighter less than 1k.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Most of Walker’s purse was donated to charity, hence the small amount that was reported.

• TURKISH says:

How long have you people been following MMA?
    Disclosed payroll to the commission is never 100% accurate regardless of the event or promotion. Manhoef like many foreign fighters wouldn’t want his full pay disclosed for tax reasons.

How could anyone read these figures and believe Herschel Walker put his life on hold training for a few months at AKA and doing all sorts of publicity for Strikeforce and then get into the cage and fight so he could donate $600 to charity?

• LiverPunch says:

These pay details are wrong. Manoef would not fight for that. Hell I wouldn’t.

• Michael says:

God I hope these figures are not real, Marloes getting 2K, man what kind of camp does that pay for.
    90% of the card gets paid in left hooks.

• Nick Havok says:

I bet Nick is smoking some fire sh*t right about now.

Coming off a huge championship win, living in Cali, fresh 100gs in his pocket…yeah, you know he is celebrating in the best kind of way.

I want to be Nick Diaz.

DEF. deserve their earnings and then some… both really good fights to watch.

• Kuch says:

Why does this even get reported? Would anyone on this site want the general public know what their paycheck amounted to? We make too big of a deal out of this – this stuff should stay private.