Evan Dunham: This is our job; You fight whoever they tell you to

There are a lot of fighters out there that would tell you straight up that there’s no way they would fight their training partners under any circumstances, and there’s nothing more to discuss. Evan Dunham has never been that guy.

With news of an impending match-up between himself and Tyson Griffin on the horizon, a closer look would reveal that there’s much more than initially meets the eye in this 155 pound showdown. Dunham and Griffin have been going at it on the battle ridden mats of Xtreme Couture in Las Vegas for quite some time running.

“I’ve been training at Xtreme Couture for a little over a year now,” said Dunham in a recent conversation with FiveOuncesofPain.com. “I came there about a year and a half ago for about a week or so, and then in December of 2008 I did a five week camp at Xtreme Couture for a fight. Ever since then I’ve made the trip down here before all of my fights and in between camps too, just to stay sharp. So I’ve been here at Xtreme Couture very consistently for over a year.”

When asked whether he would have problem facing off with one of his teammates at Xtreme Couture, there was no hesitation in Evan’s response.

“It wouldn’t bother me,” quickly answered Dunham. “I would take the fight because this is our job. You fight whoever they tell you to. Gray [Maynard] is a great training partner, and so is Tyson [Griffin]. It would kind of suck because those are the guys that I would love to have get me ready for all of my fights, so I would have to find a different outlet for training partners. If that road were to ever come up, I would talk to them about it, and I’m sure that we wouldn’t have a problem with it.”

It doesn’t appear that either Dunham or Tyson Griffin had a problem with it as the two will likely face off at UFC 115 which is expected to take place in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada on June 12 from the GM Place.

I agree with him – it’s work, you gotta do what you gotta do…

• thunder okami says:

Fitch and Kos can learn a lot from this guy

• frizzle says:

This kid is awesome. A fighter’s fighter

• Lerner17 says:

Evan Dunham… Well said. There are a lot of fighters out there who could learn alot from your attitude towards fighting.

• robby says:

there are a lot to think about here he comes down before fights and sometime between fights that is different trhan training together on a daily basis for yrs. how can you honestly hurt someone who has helped you get better or who you have helped get better. there is a big difference to training occasionally with someone and training all the time and for yrs . i personally think watching a fight where both opponents are holding back wouldnt make for an interesting fight. i agree with what swick says if you really want to see them scrap go watch them train at their gyms because its similar to what youd see if they foughtbecause neither would go all out to hurt the other . but thats only my opinoin

• dpk says:

This is going to be a great fight. I was really impressed with the way that Dunham came back after the first round against Escodero. He just became one of my favorite fighters by taking this stand on fighting a team mate. I don’t think teammates should fight, just to fight, but this fight could put either him or Griffin one fight away from a title shot and that is why it is happening.

• Nick Havok says:

Evan Dunham is a warrior. I love his attitude.

MMA isn’t a team sport.

And if I could have any two training partners fight each other, I would pick Machida vs. A. Silva. I believe Anderson would take Lyoto to school. It wouldn’t even be close.