Jake Shields has sights set on Georges St. Pierre

While current Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields is currently expected to face off with Dan Henderson in his first defense of the crown, nothing is set in stone at this point.

“It’s real possible it could be Dan, but nothing is finalized yet,” said Shields in a recent interview with Gabriel Maurer from PlanetTatami.com. “I think Dan is a great fighter, he’s a legend and it’d be a great opportunity for me. He’s ranked in two weights and in P4P, so he’d be a real challenge.”

And while Shields upcoming showdown with Henderson is not guaranteed at this point, word around the campfire is that neither is Jake’s future with Strikeforce.

When talk turned to who he would like to challenge himself against in the near future, Shields directed his crosshairs at a champion from a different weight class and promotion all together.

“Right now Dan Henderson is a possibility, and of course at welterweight against GSP,” said the Cesar Gracie trained submission specialist.

Apparently Shields has aspirations to return to his natural weight sometime soon, and challenging his longtime friend and training partner Nick Diaz under the Strikeforce banner for the promotion’s 170 pound strap is out of the question.

“I’m a natural welterweight, so I’ll probably go back to that weight at that some point,” said Shields.

• xtreme_machine says:

He thinks he can submit GSP. LOL

• Hohlraum says:

Are Shields and Diaz deluding themselves with the GSP talk?

• robby says:

i do think gsp would beat both of them . i think the nick diaz fight would be a lot closer than most people think, nick has really matured into a smart talented fighter . sheilds is good at what he does but he is just not as well rounded as nick .and that is why i think nick would give gsp more of a fight

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Jake is a much better fit at WW and fighting at MW in SF can really do a lot of good for him in prepping for the ufc WW division as the WW fighters in the ufc are far superior to any in Strikeforce(except for Diaz). I think if Sheilds comes to the ufc after his fight with Dan(assuming he loses)he is only 1 win from a title shot. The ufc would give him somebody good but probably not a AKA guy as he trains with them some, maybe Alves or Daley again. A win there would give him a title shot.

First Overeem now Jake… Hey Coker I know a good pets store you can get some muzzels at…

Hey the grass isn’t always greener on the … oh wait it is.

• Jak says:

It’s interesting that all these fighters are talking UFC, yet, none of them are being disrespectful like the whole M-1 calling out Brock Lesnar feud.

Diaz, Shields, Mousasi… they all talk about fighting good competition, and the best right now is in the UFC and they know it.

• dpk says:

I’m a little tired of people outside of UFC calling out their champions. Shields, and Diaz know exactly what they have to do to fight GSP, and that is win out on their SF contracts and then sign with UFC. I think Diaz is a much better fighter now then he was during his UFC stint, and Shields is a legit threat with his wrestling and submissions, but these guys would both have to get through a guy like Kos/Fitch/Alves before they get a shot at GSP.

• Dufresne says:

• MacBatty says:

I couldnt have said it better myself! He is SOO overrated! Maybe if he can take down Hendo i will give him some props but, he has made his career by beating B-Level fighters…..Does anyone consider Mayhem or Lawler top 10 material? Maybe 10 years ago! Its easy to call out someone who he has absolutely no shot at fighting……

Watch this…..”Hey Fedor, I think I could beat you….Your next on my list buddy so you better watch out!”

See….Empty threat…..

Dufresne: I honestly think Shields is a bit overrated. Yes he’s a good fighter, but I wouldn’t put him in the p4p category, and at MW and WW I would put him near the very bottom of the top 10, if he makes the list at all.I don’t see him getting passed Hendo, and if he does come to the UFC, I don’t know if he even gets a title shot.  (Quote)

• Can’t blame or clown on Jake here. I am sure he and all of the others are seeing the better competition = the possibility of bigger paychecks$$$$$$$$. If Jake and Hendo do fight and Jake does well being that no one gives him a chance, then I would welcome him into the UFC with open arms.

The only problem for Jake is what Dana said about Hendo. .. will Jake Draw the crowd. . . . Maybe . . if he becomes more offensive with the strikes to create the set up for the take down. Then there is the level of fighter that is in the UFC. He beat Paul Daley who has come in with talks of getting a title shot already. Jake is big..6 foot. . I don’t think he would beat GSP but I do think he would give WW problems. He choked out Fitch in a Sub Turni. I think he would do just fine in the UFC. Come on over Jake. You have my vote.

• oh ya.. I want to see more of KJ Noons. He beat the crap out of Diaz and then Knocked out Yves Edwards is 48 seconds the way he should have in 2008 and hasn’t fought since the collapse of Elite.

• Jstew3785 says:

Seems to me like Diaz and Shields don’t even care about having the Strikeforce title. I imagine they feel like whoever won the arena league or XFL title. I’m curious how many fights each have left on their respective contracts.

• Guthookd says:

If he beats Dan he’s going to get an invitation to the UFC. I becha.

• Angry Mike says:

Where does the loser of Henderson/Shields go? Neither would be attractive to UFC, especially since Shields isn’t particularly well known. And the only interesting fight in Strikeforce would be the rematch.

• Davey D says:

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the fact the Jake Sheilds is currently in Las Vegas filming TUF 11 right now. Call me crazy but I think we’ve seen the last of Jake Sheilds in Strikeforce after his next bout. We may see him defend his title Dan Henderson but that’s it, I believe. If I were a betting man, I’d say one more fight and that is it.

We won’t see him at 170 in Strikeforce. Not against Nick Diaz at least. I am not exactly sure what his contract with Strikeforce looks like but he has to be nearing the end of it. At most, he probably has 2 or 3 fight’s left on it. All this leads me to believe he is almost done with his Strikeforce career.

I wonder if Scott Coker would let Jake leave if he really wanted to? He might just have to fight Dan Henderson and get it over with. Because SF and CBS do not want to miss out on that fight. I want to see it.

• LiverPunch says:

It had to be you Cory. Any indication of a want to fight or even a mention of a UFC fighter by an outsider and you are all over it.
    Show context please.

• elkymbo says:

Let him go back on bully beatdown and beat up nobody’s. G.S.P would smash him. If B.J Penn can’t sub him Jake hasn’t got a hope.

• LiverPunch says:

I ask for context and everyone says no? OK just edit it anyway you feel and give any impression you want to. It seems that is what people want. Just next time Dana says it is time for Fedor to fight Lesnar be sure to say Lesnar’s future with the UFC is not set in stone. Gez if everytime a fighter said they wanted to challenge the best in the world it meant they were going to switch orgs…
    So he said he would like to fight GSP, no surprise he wants to fight the best at his weight. May I remind you that he has said this in 08 too. A fighter saying he wants to fight the best is common place. Aoki has said he would like to fight Penn and who did he just sign with?. If Sheids wants to fight GSP it does not mean he will forget about all the other things that have prevented him signing with the UFC in the past. I am not saying he wont sign but when was the last time a champion of an organization switched?. SF will do all it can to keep him, just like the UFC would do with Silva, Penn, Machida and Lesnar. Fighters are not stupid and if Sheilds wants the best money he would say this even if he had no desire to leave.

• LiverPunch says:

“If B.J Penn can’t sub him Jake hasn’t got a hope.”

No Penn couldn’t sub him and other top ground guys such as Mayhem, Serra, Hughes and Sherk found it difficult to control him. It is no wonder when all of them have complained about him being, shall we say slippery and he was caught getting greased by his corner man in the Penn fight.
    I can’t beleive people try and say he didn’t or it doesn’t make any difference because that is not what the actual fighters say or Dana White for that matter.

• Bomani says:

Regardless of what site you go to, Shields and Diaz are both top 10 fighters in their divisions.

What’s the big deal in them stating they want to fight GSP, the #1 WW in the world? Any fighter worth his or her salt is going to want to test themselves against the best; it’s called competitive drive for all those critics sitting comfortably behind their keyboards. And neither Shields nor Diaz has a history of ducking people, so I don’t believe either of them is just talking for talkings sake.

What do you want them or any other fighter to say? “I only want to fight low level competition?” or “I’d rather not test myself, I just want to fight cream puffs”. Kudo’s to both of them expressing a desire to fight the best. Of the two, I think Diaz has the best chance of succeeding. Realistically, I don’t see a GSP vs. Shield/Diaz fight ever getting scheduled unless they both jump ship to UFC OR GSP shocks the world and bails to SF.

• cocoonofhorror says:

there are 3 WWs at AKA that would beat Shields, he shouldnt even worry about GSP.