Diego Sanchez vs. John Hathaway booked for UFC 114

Diego Sanchez has made his return to the welterweight division official. The “Nightmare” is set to face off undefeated fighter John Hathaway at UFC 114 in May.

Sanchez announced the fight using his Twitter account:

finally got a opponent john hathaway he’s 12-0 tough kid from the uk. we will be fighting may 29 in VEGAS!!!!! its on!!!

Following a loss in his title bid at lightweight against B.J. Penn in December, Sanchez was quite vocal about moving back up to welterweight. Sanchez, who has an overall record of 21-3, hasn’t fought at welterweight since June of 2008. Before moving down to lightweight, Sanchez holds a 7-2 record in the welterweight division.

Hathaway, who holds a 12-0 record, has made his presence known since debuting in the UFC. The British born fighter has won three fights in the organization defeating, Tom Egan, Ricky Story, and most recently Paul Taylor. The former Rugby player will make his debut fighting in the United States, after previously fighting in overseas shows for the UFC.

UFC 114 is set to take place May 29th from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The pay-per-view event is also set to coincide with the second ever UFC Fan Expo. A headline bout between Rashad Evans and the unretired Quinton “Rampage” Jackson is rumored.

• Rich S. says:

This one might have FOTN potential..

• matt says:

I dont think Hathaway can hang with Diego. When Diego left the welterweight division he was one win away from getting a crack at the title. He was scheduled to go up against Alves and was injured, then he decided to drop down to lightweight. I was expecting him to get a bigger name and a bigger challenge. I would have like to see him possibly fight the winner of Swick/Thiago if they could be ready by then. Or maybe the loser of the Fitch/Alves fight.

• Makington says:

Title shot to fighting Hathaway? That sucks pretty hard but there aren’t much top WW’s not tied up with a fight right now anyways. I think Diego’s pressure will be too much for John, the same way it’s too much for anyone who isn’t in the top 5. I can see him being just as effective, or ineffective if you would, at WW. Great skills that are enough to make a fight with anyone, but he will always come up just short against the best.

• TheNatural says:

This is a really bad match up for Hathaway. Everything he is good at Diego is better. Diego will take him down and grind out a decision

• Lethal Liquid says:

After the beatdown it’ll be interesting to see how he responds. As the saying goes pressure makes diamonds or cracks pipes. He goes back up into the shark tank.

• elkymbo says:

Hopef

As the saying goes pressure makes diamonds or cracks pipes.

Hopefully the “crack” in Diego’s forehead doesn’t open back up again…..only time will tell how bad that cut actually was.

• This could be great or terrible for Diego, getting an undefeated good prospect can do wonders to get his confidence back to that ridiculous level its usually at. If he wins convincingly, he can automatically get back to fighting Kos( which I would love to see the improved Kos fight a healthy Diego) Fitch(that fight needs to happen way more than Fitch vs. Alves 2 Fitch stopped Alves he went to a split with Diego). I see more interesting fights with Sanchez at WW. Condit, those rematches, Alves, Matt Brown and Anthony Rumble Johnson come to mind

I guess that’s enough time to put the weight back on the right way. This should be a good warm up fight for him getting back into this weight class, hopefully he doesn’t underestimate Hathaway or look past him… I dont know if this is the fight that will help him get his swagger back but a W will certainly be a step in the right direction- good luck to Diego- maybe he’ll shake things up in the next year or so in the division.

• hindsightufuk says:

pressure makes crack pipes?

huge oppurtunity for Hathaway regardless of how few people give him any kind of chance

• Guthookd says:

I haven’t seen much of Hathaway that I remember, though I must have caught at least one of his 3 UFC fights at some point (I try to catch all the undercards).

My hope is that Hathaway, in the words of Forrest Griffin, is a somebody who just hasn’t arrived yet. Diego is a tough guy and an excellent fighter, but I just cannot get over his personality. Call me a picky little bitch if you must.

• Makington says:

Why you picky little bitch guthookd!

I personally think Diego is hilarious, except i the way that I’m laughing at him, not with him. Also the way he relates literally everything to being God’s plan always entertains me.

Probably my favourite memory of him is way back on TUF1. He was set fight (Josh Rafferty I think?) and i was raining outside, so he decided to do his prep in the parking lot. While prepping, he realized that he could focus the energy of nature and suck it into his body. He proceeded to syphon all of Mother Nature’s for about a half hour. And I don’t mean the calm zen kind of syphon, I mean he jumped around like a maniac and looked like he was trying to take a really big dump.

• BillyWarhol says:

Yeah that Forehead Gash looked Nasty + Diego wasted too much time + Energy trying to take BJ down – a common Mistake – but he shouldda tried some Sneaky Punches or Twirls or somethin’ – he needed to Fight a lot Smarter but give BJ Props fer Rockin’ Diego early which enabled him to control the rest o the Fight. I don’t know much about Hathaway but having beaten Paul Taylor indicates this will be a darn Good Scrap!

I wouldn’t mind going to this if Dana can Comp Gina + myself…….