Wes Sims: Stoppage in Lashley fight was “bogus”

It started as all fun and games at the post fight press conference, but in the end no one was really sure what was going on when Wes Sims decided to shove Bobby Lashley.

Most of the press and Lashley himself was laughing it off, thinking Sims was just being Sims and clowning around. But for a brief moment things did look like they were going to get out of hand as Lashley began to remove the bag on his back amidst Sims taunting. Fortunately the two were separated.

One thing for sure is “The Whole Show” was not happy about the way the fight went.

“The referee had to warn him three times. He kept on gauging me in the throat and when I rolled over and gave him my back, I took one shot and the ref stops it,” said Sims when FiveOuncesofPain.com had the chance to catch up with the 6’10” TUF 10 veteran following the event.

Lashley took Sims down and proceeded to pound him on the ground, but Sims maintains he could have gone the distance.

“I’m not a rookie,” said Sims. “I have been in the business a long time. I have a hell of a high pain threshold and it’s bogus.”

Lashley landed 34 of 37 ground strikes winning in 2:06 in the first round by a TKO

• BigDave says:

Hey wes the village called they want there idiot back!

• fanoftna33 says:

Wes took some clean shots while down and the ref was being cautious as Wes was offering no offense. I think for a guy coming in on two weeks notice he did as good a job as anybody can expect, hopefully Strikeforce gives him another chance with a full camp and he can be really impressive.

We know the outcome would have probably been the same… BUT Wes did deserve a few more moments to defend himself or work through the position he was in… that was “bogus”as Wes put it… I believe both fighters would have gained that much more from the fight if the Ref held off… I have a feeling after watching it back I’m sure even Lashley wishes he had a some more time in the cage with only his fifth opponent- shit if I’m getting a TKO I think I would want my money’s worth after all that training in camp and being on a world stage I don’t think any fighter wants to feel like theres any chance a W was handed to him.

• Guthookd says:

He’s right. It’s bogus.

They should have made that call two weeks ago.

• YetiLee says:

I have to say it was more than one punch to the head before the ref stopped it. There were 6 shots after Lashley took his back and after the 5th Wes went flat, so I can see why the ref stopped it, I still think Wes could have held on a little while longer but I don’t see it as a bad stoppage.

• RoadsideGraphix says:

Wes should be more worried about how HORRIBLE he looked in the cage. The ref did Wes a favor in stopping the fight because Lashley was just warming up.

WES SIMS = RETIRE

• Nick Havok says:

I thought the stoppage was early too.

I can see if Wes would have given up his back, got hit A GOOD NUMBER of times and didn’t do anything to protect himself or advance position. Then a stoppage is fully warranted.

But like Wes said, he got hit once.

That is wack.

• mu_shin says:

Earth to Wes Simms: intelligently defend yourself, and good things will follow.

• Angry Mike says:

The bonus for verbal ko of the day goes to Guthookd for his post, above.

I love Wes Sims. He makes me looked ripped in comparison. And even though he thought the stoppage was premature, I was sincerely worried that he’d get hurt. He was never in a position to inflict any damage on Lashley, and he”s lucky that Lashley didn’t pull off one of his arms or legs.

• cocoonofhorror says:

WES!!!! the fight was stopped because you did a faceplant for no apparent reason. everyone watching thought you were giving up, not just the ref. HORRIBLE EFFORT.

• cocoonofhorror says:

Wes needs to go full time in to pro wrestling. He doesnt have the heart or balls for mma.

• Curly Biddles says:

I am not a big fan of either figher. However, I feel that a foul such as throat gauging with your thumb to hold your opponents head still while you pound them at least warrants standing the fighters up.

Bobby’s best shots landed while in this position and he hurt Wes that is why he rolled over. He eventually flattened out and appeared to give up and that is why the ref stopped the fight.

The stoppage was reasonable, but the foul occured when the most damage was dealt, so in my opinion the officiating and the fight sucked. Fortunately, the rest of the card was Awesome :)

• Scazzy says:

After giving the fight a second glance, Wes “Marshmellow Man” Sims has a sad point. While Wes was on his back it looked like Lashley had his hand just to the left of Sims head, but his thumb was on Sims throat the whole time Lashley was raining down shots with his right.. And to deprive someone that big, and obviously out of shape of oxygen would make anyone drop.

The ref was warning Lashley about it to.

It’s no excuse for Showin up out of shape as a last minute replacement, but Sims has a point.

• the thumb in the throat thing gets let go so often I forgot it wasn’t legal. When Wandy was beating Jardine into obvlivion his thumb is clearly on his throat. At UFC 100 the entire time Brock holds down Mir in the first his thumb is in Frank’s throat. But it seems to me that illegal moves that dont change anything dont get called. Houston Alexander hit Keith Jardine with a BLATANT illegal knee that Goldberg even calls. but nothing was done about it. Why? I think just because it didnt matter, the fight was already over. my point is, shutup wes and quit making excuses everytime you get beat. You’re a better athlete than me, but Im not tryin to make a living at it.