Scott Coker: A fan at heart

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker looked like a little kid in a candy store on Saturday evening as he watched “Strikeforce: Miami” in Sunrise Florida.

In an exclusive conversation with FiveOuncesofPain.com, Coker stated that the business never gets old for him and he is first and foremost of fan of the sport.

“When I look back at the event tonight, the Robbie Lawler fight was a great fight,” said Coker. “I knew someone was going to get knocked out, but I didn’t know who. Both of these guys are very good stand up fighters, good power, explosive and not that much ground fighting.”

And someone did get knocked out. In what looked at first like a certain Manhoef victory turned into a come from behind win for “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler in round one.

Manhoef delivered a series of punishing and painful kicks to Lawler leaving him hurt and limping. However, Lawler did not give up sticking with “his game plan” and unleashing a huge right that sent the 5’8″ fighter from Amsterdam sailing to the canvas.

Despite some of the sceptical rumblings about former Heisman Trophy Winner Herschel Walker and his MMA debut, he looked good while racking up a TKO victory in the third round over Greg Nagy.

“Herschel is so strong. I can’t believe how strong he is. In the end it was great natural sprawling and wrestling ability,” said Coker.

Last night’s televised event on Showtime kicks off what promises to be a great year for Strikefore as the promotion plans to increase its televised fights to twenty in 2010, splitting them up between Showtime and CBS starting in March.

Next up for Strikeforce, the “Challengers” fight series in San Jose on Friday, February 26 at the Civic Auditorium where undefeated power puncher Sara Kaufman (10-0) will challenge Japan’s Takayo Hashi for the first Strikeforce women’s world bantamweight (135 pounds) championship and a middleweight bout between Karl Amoussou ( 11-2-1) and Trevor Prangley (22-5).

Scott Coker: A fan at heart

OH so I guess he knows that the production needs work and that his announce team sound like fans and not professional sportscasters… I’m glad the refs have cameras attached to there heads- very innovative – curious if the fighters complain about all that smokey shit they gotta breathe in on the way out…guess they really do need cardio.

• Scott H. says:

I’ll avoid slagging Showtime for the production, although it’s getting kind of old that we complain about, but it doesn;t seem to improve.

What has me thinking, and I hate myself for being so cynical, is how are they going to put on 20 shows this year. It’s taken a month to get the first one on, and they only have a Challenger event scheduled in February… how are they going to start pumping out 2 quality events a month? Even if the majority are on the level of a Challenger event, I’m sceptical.

I’m wish them luck though, there’s the potentail for some good fights.

• JabCrossHook says:

I hope SF succeeds because the UFC shouldn’t be the only option especially how I hear how fighters are treated there.

@JabCrossHook :

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet…

• KRS 27 says:

Did you say Walker looked good while racking up a TKO victory?

I’m sorry that was probably one of the worst fights I’ve seen, it was awful. He got paid 100k to fight a paper bag, and he had trouble with him.

What exactly is this point of this? Seeing him fight paper bags, its a joke. It was totally pointless.

• LiverPunch says:

Rece Rock: HomeRankings

HeavyweightLight HeavyweightMiddleweightWelterweightLightweightFeatherweightBantamweightPound-for-PoundEventsAdvertisingContactStaff PicksRadio

No just what you want to hear eh Rece?.

• LiverPunch says:

Oopps.
    I was trying to say.

“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet… ”

No just what you want to hear eh Rece?.

• kentuckyfightfan says:

The fights overall were pretty entertaining and matched well. But I have to say the broadcast team is terrible! I don’t need some guy yelling into the mic for me to know its exciting. I swear, everytime I hear him I think he’s going to wet his pants when the action picks up. And Shamrock is simply a joke. Talking about Diaz’s punches not hurting at all…funny, those punches had him jelly legged.

@ LiverPunch –

Good Job…better luck next time.