Strikeforce: Miami Results

Mixed Martial Arts is back following a brief break as “Strikeforce: Miami” is set to take place this evening in Florida.

FiveOuncesofPain.com will be here to bring all of the latest results from the event that is set to take place from the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida, while airing live on Showtime.

Nick Diaz is set to face off with Marius Zaromskis for the Strikeforce welterweight championship in the main event of the evening, with Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos squaring off with Marloes Coenen in the co-headlining bout.

A full set of results from “Strikeforce: Miami” are listed below:

MAIN CARD

Nick Diaz def.. Marius Zaromskis via TKO Round 1 4:38 and New Strikeforce Welterweight Champion

Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos def. Marloes Coenen via TKO Round 3 3:43
Robbie Lawler def Melvin Manhoef via KO Round 1 3:53
Bobby Lashley def. Wes Sims via TKO Round 1 2:06
Herschel Walker def. Greg Nagy via TKO Round 3 2:13

PRELIMINARY CARD (broadcast on EASportsMMA.com)
Jay Hieron def. Joe Riggs via unanimous decision

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

Pablo Alfonso def. Marcos DaMatta via armbar Round 1 1:47
Michael Byrnes def. David Zitnik via majority decision
John Kelly def. Sabah Homasi via RNC Round 1 2:48
David Gomez def. Craig Oxley via unanimous decision 30-27 on all cards
Hayder Hassan def. Ryan Keenan via TKO Round 2 2:42
Joe Ray def. John Clarke via TKO Round 1 3:14

• cocoonofhorror says:

EASports site sucks ass. link to Riggs fight isnt working, page is getting disconnected. it is a real clusterfuck.

• robby says:

yah i cant get the easportsmma.com link either

• Dufresne says:

I don’t think the fight is happening right now. I’ve been waiting for it for a while too now. I think we’re waiting for the Byrnes v Zitnik fight to finish.

• 3OAM says:

Holy feed issues Batman.

• Bad Monkey says:

EA Sports, you suck!!!!! It’s 9:15 and nothing you f**king tease bitches. Why can none of these sites do what they say they’re going to do.

• 3OAM says:

What a waste of time. I’m going to make food for the real show.

• Dufresne says:

Okay, I know the fight is happening now because I’m getting texts from friends. Still not up online. Starting piss me off…

• BillyWarhol says:

Yeah they’ve just Lost this FREE PPV Viewer for Life!!!

• Aquaconc says:

any update from anyone about the fight

• fetussandwich says:

I wonder how much Sims is getting to be Lashley’s 5th can/punching bag

• fetussandwich says:

And there’s Lawler’s puncher’s chance.

• Aquaconc says:

sounds like Walker did better then i thought he would

• Guthookd says:

The Sims/Lashley fight got stopped too soon IMO. Those shots from the back were not on the mark and they weren’t that hard. Oah well. Just feel bad for Wes. After another few minutes Lashley could have been winded enough to make it a fight.

Oah well.

• Guthookd says:

Never seen Robbie so tentative in a fight before. I was getting worried for him for a minute. Pretty much the fist punch he really threw with conviction ended the fight though.

Good show, but I wish it would have gone back and forth a little more.

• fetussandwich says:

I hear yah man. There was one angle though they showed where it looked like he went limp for a split second when he was flattened out, so I can see where the refs decision came from. There was only more of the same coming to Wes anyways; the ref just did him a favor.

• Dufresne says:

That was a nasty overhand right! Lawler looked like he was getting backed into a corner and lashed out with some serious power there. Manhoef took that shot straight on the chin and that was all she wrote.

• fetussandwich says:

Guthookd: Never seen Robbie so tentative in a fight before.I was getting worried for him for a minute.Pretty much the fist punch he really threw with conviction ended the fight though.Good show, but I wish it would have gone back and forth a little more.

On another page, I think Cyborg needs to be tested for testosterone injections.

• robby says:

lawler called it he said manhoef drops his hands sometimesand boom boom pow the black eyed peas would of been proud i read somewhere that cyborg fight got stopped too soon i never saw it so what does anyone else think. coene n should be fighting at 135 anyway cyborg probably 155 0r more at time of the fight i weigh 145 and she is way bigger than i am. and muscle ways more than fat coennen couldnt make 145 and cyborg had tio seriously cut to make weight nothing wrong but i believe the fighters should weigh in 2-3 hrs before fight and fight at normal healthy weight because this cutting weight to gain advantage is proving to have serous health risks

• David Andrest says:

Oh BigDave where are you ???

• fetussandwich says:

David Andrest: Oh BigDavewhere are you ???

He’s off somewhere being confused by the spelling of four letter words.

• David Andrest says:

fetussandwich:
    He’s off somewhere being confused by the spelling of four letter words.Something seems so absent from Strikeforce broadcasts. The pacing? The announcing? I can’t put my finger on it.

It’s a combination of the camera work being different than you are used to, and the god awful graphics package.

It’s all so dark, Everything feels dark with red highlights.

And the walk ins feel small. They are shot small. and Jimmy lennon Jr. makes everything sound like an exhibition nto to be taken seriously. I really REALLY don’t like him as ring announcer.

• 3OAM says:

Agreed. CBS’s broadcasters really spoonfeed it to the audience as far as MMA terms and dumb a lot of it down…then they jam up when they misspeak. They just stop. Everybody on their reporting staff just seemed rigid. Its weird. Strikeforce has a lot of talent in its roster, but UFC has the whole presentation as well as the talent.

-As shocked as I was to see Manhoef go down, I don’t think that was a lucky punch at all. Manhoef is a badass, but he drops his hands to swing when he smells blood. You gotta protect yourself AT ALL TIMES…not just for the ref’s sake, but for your sake as well.

-Herschel is a beast, but he needs polishing. I lol’d when Nagy was walking in. He seemed like he had stage fright.

-Bummed about my main girl Coenen losing, but there’s just not enough talent in the women’s pool yet for someone like Cyborg. That’s not to say there isn’t talent there…but Cyborg is on another plane. I believe there are women out there that are on Cyborg’s level, but they aren’t fighting in Strikeforce yet. Give it time.

-LOL @ Nick Diaz! His after fight comments were hilarious. Quadros is a dumbass. “You keep your emotions pretty well under wraps when talking with us. That had to be an emotional win for you.” “Nah…I just wanna go home and eat.” “Practice my nunchuckin’ skills.” I LOL’d soooo hard. Diaz Bros FTW. Zaromskis is a tough bastard, just got out..reached.

Good night of fights. CBS needs to step it up on the production front though.

• Guthookd says:

Diaz looked great. I was expecting a second round, but he fixed that.

Great fight though. Great action.

• fanoftna33 says:

That was a pretty good night of fights. Walker looked pretty good considering his opponent didnt put up any offense but still pretty decent. Lawler got the W and really paid for it but gotta give him and his chin(and leg)credit for waiting for just the right time, very impressive win.
    I really though Coenen would win this fight but Cyborg seems to get better not just by the fight but by the round. I am looking forward to seeing her vs Toughhill next.
    Like I said yesterday Diaz can strike with anybody and every time people think he cant it just makes him mad. I want to see him face GSP.

• Guthookd says:

Even Walker looked pretty good. I think they’ll be able to find some more fights for him. If he keeps training hard he might actually finish a career in MMA with a winning record…depending of course of who they give him.

Interesting match to watch I suppose.

• elsicilian says:

fetussandwich: Something seems so absent from Strikeforce broadcasts. The pacing? The announcing? I can’t put my finger on it.

I noticed that, too. Among the other possible reasons mentioned above, there’s almost never any ambient crowd noise in the audio mix, which I find to be pretty uninspiring.

• fanoftna33 says:

• BigDave says:

shit happens

• Manhoef was beating the life out of Robbie, my god that guy is quick. I think Manhoef won’t be dropping his hands any more but wow he looked good. Good night of fights overall.

Herschel looked good. Not just being 47 but also for his first fight. Good leg kicks and good control on the ground. He’s only going to get better. Not a champ but I will always watch someone at his age fight especially when that 47 year old looked as good as he did.

Nick looked impressive again. His hands are some of the best out there. Kneeing the leg of Zaromskis was really smart. Noones is the only fighter I have ever seen that completely dominated Nick. Nick can be a ass but I really like watching him fight.

StrikeForce Just scored points in my book.

• fetussandwich says:

fanoftna33: The crowd yelling for Walker was one of the best things I have seen/heard at any event, just classic.

That was really the only time I heard the crowd outside of a few moments during the Diaz fight, and it was amazing and hilarious. I think elsicilian is onto something, because you could hear a whisper in that place throughout most of the night. Horrible crowd, horrible audio…who knows?

I also agree with you David that Jimmy Lennon Jr. is a fucking cold sore on the look and feel of their product. Just the way the way he announces them, then they have a WWE entrance, then before one fighter has made it to the ring, the cameras are already adjusting on his opponent waiting backstage. If it’s a main event, once they’re both in the ring, they dim the arena and put spotlights on the two fighters like they’re about to have a monologue in the stage adaptation of Macbeth. Then you have the stiff and awkward interviews with notable people in the stands that are played over the loud speaker during rounds or in between fights. Then you have the “state the obvious answer to my question” questions post-fight They have such a great roster now and I would hate to see the org hit an iceberg because of their remedial, unpolished broadcasts.

I knew something was wrong with the feel when I actually began to miss Mike Goldberg’s uselessness and the gladiator graphics halfway through. That’s saying a lot.

I thought it was hilarious when wes put his hand up in the begining of the match to lock up via pro wrestling and lashley looked pissed- if some one was smart they’d give sims a reality show following him around all day I’m sure is to make for Comedy… They should have him look for a new career while being filmed… That fight was stopped too early, bottom line.

Lawlers leg is the color of the rainbow today – can’t believe he caught him.

Walker should be on challengers and draw attention to that show he doesn’t belong on showtime…I really don’t care how the fans cheer for him… That guy they got to fight him didn’t even want to look at him in the eye… Good first fight but doesn’t belong on this card.

Cyborg needs another beast to fight… Not a smaller opponent.

Surprised to see GSP in attendance!

Production still sucked and please god let them get a new announce team or something, no offense to the announcers but it was verbal torture at times. They sound like fans ranting rather than sportscaster

• This proves four things in my eyes..

1) Nick Diaz belongs in a more talented organization, I hope to see him back in the UFC. not that strikeforce isn’t putting on great shows, but the depth of their divisions just isnt there yet.

2) Melvin Manhoef is gonna put someone in a wheel chair when he drives a body kick through their ribs and into their spine. GOOD GOD that man hits like a train.

3) Don’t ever sleep on Robbie Lawlers hands….ever.

4) Strikeforce’s production needs to come up soon before we watch Hendo Vs. Sheilds and miss the KO or sub because their feed went out!

Happy sunday!

• edub says:

Lawler was just waiting.

I know I might get bashed for saying this because I didnt put it up in the comments section or weigh ins(Just got back from the army yesterday) but i had a five for five night. With pretty much everything happening the way I thought it would.

During the Lawler fight i was sitting with a couple buddies and I was getting knocked for saying earlier in the night that Lawler was gonna win by tko in the first round. I said and I quote”He’s just waiting.. he’s letting Melvin get comfortable” and then boom goes the dynamite. Melvin had been rocked by Dae won kim when he was getting too reckless…who is a judo player. Lawler saw a fault in his style and took full advantage. It wasn’t a hail mary. It wasn’t a lucky punch. It was the punctuation to a painful gameplan coming true. I still dont understand why Melvin was the betting favorite.

Nick continuing his dominace from his mw fights was great to see. Zaromskis is a great fighter and I was worried about his speed giving Nick some problems, but Nick’s boxing has just become better and better with every fight. If Nick beats up Jay Hieron the way he has gone thru his past few opponents I ‘d have to think that he should make one more run in the UFC’s welterweight division, considering there would be no one left for him to fight except Jake Shields and that fight would never happen. Oh btw Andrest your call for Diaz on lock of the night was great. It’s actually the first fight Ive seen from the pros picks articles on sherdog that everysingle pro picked one fighter(Diaz).

Well Dave Andrest I go 5 for 5 when I have no proof of calling anything. So pretty much you got lucky.

• Bad Monkey says:

You’d be a fool not to put Nick Diaz top 5 in the world at 170 right now. The guy looks better and better everytime he fights. I really love how when he gets a guy hurt he just starts laying in these beautiful body shots to set them up for the finish. He did it against Shamrock, Scott Smith, and now Zaromskis. Great performance.

The Lashley/Sims fight was a f**kin joke, just like I said it would be. If Lashley wants any credibility he’s got to step up to a credible opponent for his next fight.

I’m in total agreement about the problems with SF’s production. I was yelling at the tv, it took so long for them to show the replay of Lawler’s KO. The UFC would have had that replay up in 10 seconds, it took these guys at least a minute. I like Quadros ok as a commentator, but he sucks as an interviewer after the fights. And why are they so determined to cut the fighters off when they want to say something after they’ve won?? Diaz just won your WW title, and they’re pulling the mic away from him. He finished the fight in the first round, so there was plenty of time left in the broadcast.

Cyborg? What can you say? Total badass. Coenen looked good and gave her a fight, but after Cyborg ate that straight right and just kept coming, you knew Marloes was going down. I really enjoyed watching Coenen though, she came to fight and she threw that right hand like she wanted to hurt somebody. Marloes vs. Gina would be a great fight.

• Pajamashark says:

I think just the production values of the Strikeforce event are like B movie quality compared to the UFC. This is the first Strikeforce I’ve watched in its entirety but several things put me off.

I like the extended intros that the UFC gives most of its fighters- showing their history, training, and families sometimes. They need to ban techno FOREVER from coming anywhere near an MMA event- I’ve heard better mixes banged out on DJ Hero. The smoke and indoor pyrotechnics make the Gladiator intro seem classy and well thought out. And the commentators they use make Joe and Goldie look like a brain trust in comparison: “Those punches don’t hurt, but they are rocking him.” Wait, WHAT?

When I watch UFC PPV events now, at least I can see where my money is going. LOL Well, that and Dana White’s crazy awesome office space that looks like a modern art museum.

(P.S. Nick, your brother was not robbed. There were no shenanigans with the Maynard fight. Neither of them “brought it” definitively, that’s how you get a split decision. Your win was great, don’t taint it by trying to ferment conspiracy theories. That’s what blogs are for!) :)

• JabCrossHook says:

fetussandwich:
    Manhoef is my new favorite fighter, and it’s really no wonder why after the first few minutes. It’s disappointing to see he lets his guard down for a literal second, then Lawler tosses a bomb that “he knew he was going to catch him” with after being obliterate by everything Melvin threw at him, but such is MMA. Pretty sure Lawler broke his nose…On another page, I think Cyborg needs to be tested for testosterone injections.

Lawler knew he was going to put his hands down, that was Melvin’s mistake to make and lawler’s smarts to capitalize. Look at what lawler was throwing before, nothing but lead hooks to get Melvin’s timing down. The only thing that connected solidly were the kicks by Melvin, and that one body hook. The rest were blocked by Robbie’s forearms and gloves. He dropped his hands down in other fights and Lawler studied them and knew he was going to fuck up on the boxing. Melvin just faced someone with enough power to tap that chin once and put him to sleep with a well placed shot. If you couldn’t see that then you just don’t really know striking/boxing. And I do agree that Cyborg doesn’t look like a woman at all. She looks like a guy, has the traps, lats, and delts of a smaller athletically built male. Test plz

• fetussandwich says:

JabCrossHook:

• Pajamashark says:

JabCrossHook: And I do agree that Cyborg doesn’t look like a woman at all. She looks like a guy, has the traps, lats, and delts of a smaller athletically built male. Test plz

Please. Women who are models look like models. Women who are fighters… look like fighters.

• Dufresne says:

Pajamashark:
    Please.Women who are models look like models.Women who are fighters… look like fighters.Same-sex marriage is not legal in Brazil, so unless Evangelista is the women in their marriage, Cristiane is female.

Yeah, I’m not getting this hate either. She’s a professional athlete, she works out most of the day and you expect her to be a size 2? Come on, she’s built like a professional fighter.

She’s a power puncher so of course her lats/traps/delts are huge.

Saying she needs to be tested is ignorant and incredibly insulting to a great athlete.

• “Right…Lawler was just toying with him. He was just intelligently biding his time absorbing blows that were causing him to wince in pain, nearly making him stationary against the cage before throwing that one lucky punch he anticipated he was going to get the opening for. We apparently didn’t watch the same fight, because he was getting hit by everything Manhoef threw at him. It was just a fluke, and you put them together 10 fights in a row of just pure stand up, Melvin wins nine of them.”

As I’ve stated before hand, I dont think “Lucky Punches” are really a part of this level of the game. Matt Serra did not score a lucky punch against GSP, he out boxed him and just happened to clip the back of Georges head with one of the bigger shots. He then proceeded to methodically beat him into submission. That’s not luck. Robbie was by no means winning the fight, but truth be told he wasn’t running from Melvin and he never looked desperate, he was gettin whooped but he was in that fight every second of it. He waited till Melvins hands came down and threw the thunder. Manhoef shouldnt be too detered though, he didnt look bad at all in the fight, just needs to realize he’s not the only one who can put you to sleep with a punch.