Alistair Overeem: With the right terms I will sign with the UFC right away

While Strikeforce fans have been eagerly anticipating the return of the promotion’s long lost heavyweight title holder, Alistair Overeem recently revealed that there’s nothing set in stone that says he will be returning to Strikeforce at all.

“I’m not going to discuss the UFC too much with the media,” said Overeem in a recent interview that will be featured in the latest edition of Fighters Only Magazine. “But I will say that when they show me terms I like, I’ll sign.”

There seem to be some sticking points in the current terms being offered up to the massive heavyweight from the UFC, but if if those wrinkles can be ironed out in the near future, Alistair says his signature would be a mere formality.

“Money is important but it isn’t everything,” said Overeem. “There are some conditions they have that I don’t like. But like I said, when the terms are right I will sign right away.”

Overeem last fought for Strikeforce in November of 2007 and has since gone on to compile wins over a who’s who of heavyweight journeymen such as Gary Goodridge, James Thompson and Kazuyuki Fujita.

• Dufresne says:

His conditions probably include allowing him to fight K1 and for other promotions, which we all know the UFC won’t agree to.

• retrofitting123 says:

or his conditions are no drug testing before or after any fight under any circumstances.

• ndizzle says:

i went to the website and read thefull article it says that he plans to fight fedor in late 2010,and it says he plans to fight in sf in april

• fanoftna33 says:

I hope he does sign with the ufc as there are a lot of good match up’s for him. I dont think it will happen though but it would be a real blow to SF to have Overeem walk out to the octagon carring the SF heavyweight title.

Screw this guy- he’s not even news worthy anymore…Hope he stays with the freaks and journeymen, then again I guess I hope he returns to the states and gets his ass handed to him in either promotion.

• KRS 27 says:

K 1 fights and no drug testing.

No but really, I dont see the UFC allowing him to do K 1, they were gonna let Fedor do sambo, but Overeem getting knocked the fuck out in K 1, then coming back and fighting in the UFC for the HW title or something, how does that look after he just got knocked out?

So the UFC probably wouldnt like him doing K 1, he could get knocked out, get hurt, so I dont see the UFC moving on those issues.

But shit, getting this guy to fight in the US against top HW I’d love to see. But its funny the SF HW champ who wont fight for SF, its been over two years, two and a half years is talking about how he would sign right now with the UFC if they offered the right deal, I’m sure Coker loves hearing that.

• moosebaby02 says:

i cant believe i took the time to read this. my own fault though. wish i could kick myself in my nuts. does anyone really believe that the UFC really wants the guy who is scared to fight Fedor our on US soil or anywhere they do drug testing???????? thats like playing Russian Roulette with a loaded gun

• RearNakedRadioPugs says:

If I’m Scott Coker this is the last straw. SF is on the verge of making serious inroads vs the UFC and the SF HW belt needs to be in play!

Make no mistake…. CBS is only interested in SF for Fedor. Their own corporate greed burned them last year when they jumped ignorantly into mma in pursuit of those sweet 18-34 male demos.
    They new nothing of the sport and trusted Gary Shaw and pro-elite to do right by them. They were given a wildly marketable novice in Kimbo and told he was legit. SF signs Fedor (also wildly marketable, in a Ivan Drago kind of way) and CBS decides to give it another try.

The tiffany network is gonna want a heavyweight title fight to promote sooner rather than latter and Fedor must be involved.

Ok and now for the giant elephant in the room. Has Overeem been “tested” according to US standards? The Japanese as we all know dont seem to worry much about “performance enhancers”.

Scott, either strip Overeem of the belt for non participation and start a HW tourney or get a blood/urine sample and be done with him. Dont let this guy screw up the CBS deal. Fedor should have fought for the belt in his first SF fight. Does Fedor really need to prove himself worthy of a title shot among the other SF heavweights?

This is ridiculous

• Rich S. says:

Alistair would light a fire under the UFC Heavyweight Division’s ass..
    And that’s when the UFC’s Heavyweight Division is finally at a point where it doesn’t even NEED a fire under its ass, with an all time high of about 6 current title contenders..

With that said, I doubt we’ll ever see Alistair in the UFC..
    What with the steroids, the lack of loyalty to SF, and the overall seemingly defiant behavior, I just don’t think the UFC would even humor the idea of investing money and time into him..

But, who knows..

• RicM says:

If Dana White signs this guy,he may as well pump another round into the Remington and aim at his other foot…………..

• Kamakosmo says:

WOW…I actually can’t add anything to this. I would just be repeating what everyone else said…so, big props everyone. Go away Alistair, you are talked about too much in the Western Hemisphere, and yet never fight here, why is that?

• edub says:

RearNakedRadioPugs: Overeem is a very good heavy weight but stands about as much a chance at the UFC title as Kongo does.

Insanely retarted comparison.

• dpk says:

UFC would have to dig up the PRIDE fight that Overeem won to show on “Best of Pride” This would be an interesting addition to the UFC HW division, but not one that they really need, so don’t expect to see Dana and Lorenzo offer him the world like they did to Fedor.

• Slayer says:

A lot of people tend to say that Overeem is disrespecting Strikeforce by not defending the Heavyweight title ever since winning it in November 2007. However, they seem to overlook the fact that Strikeforce basically disrespected him as well by not signing him to anything longer than a one-fight contract for each of his bouts in the promotion (a rematch with Vitor Belfort in June 2006 and the title bout with Paul Buentello), thus giving him the impression that Strikeforce wasn’t planning on him winning those fights.

Although Strikeforce did attempt to rectify the situation by signing him to a new contract once they got the Showtime deal, it still doesn’t seem as though Strikeforce has any plans on promoting Overeem as anything other than a stepping stone for Fedor.

Simply speaking from a fan’s point of view, I would love to see Fedor vs. Overeem as soon as possible. However, I can understand why Overeem is in no rush to allow Strikeforce to put that bout together. Overeem’s been building quite a bit of momentum lately ever since moving up to Heavyweight, thus making him a lucrative acquisition for fight promoters. Strikeforce seems to only plan on using him as nothing more than a formality for Fedor winning their title, as where the UFC has shown legitimate interest in him, as seen in the pictures of him and Semmy Schilt hanging out with Dana White at UFC 93. It’s not hard to see why he shows no loyalty to Strikeforce.

• Nick Havok says:

Article – Whether it’s with Strikeforce or the UFC, Alistair facing off with deserving competition is long overdue.

Amen to that.

I remember on InsideMMA earlier this month, they asked Alistair what his wish was for 2010. He said he wishes to fight Fedor Emelianenko and that he believes his wish will come true.

Well that won’t happen if he goes off and signs with the UFC now will it.

I agree with the article –
    if Alistair is open to the UFC and he hasn’t even attempted to come stateside to even promote for SF while they are trying to gain ground Coker should really strip this guy and make a tournament… hey you want excitement Coker? stop worrying about H.Walker’s debut and strip this guys title and turn the division upside down giving your top 4 a shot at the gold!

SF needs to wake up!

• Kuch says:

I hope Scott Coker cuts him and the UFC pans him. Let him go fight for DREAM or somewhere else; I don’t see him fighting in the US anytime soon and I think him saying he wants to fight Fedor is just his attempt to keep himself in the media.

• LiverPunch says:

Ummm…I think every fighter would sign with the UFC if they offered the right conditions, that is common sense, they just don’t. This is blown way out of proportion and I would bet taken out of context.
    I would like to see the full interveiw. I mean did he say anything like this…
    ” there’s nothing set in stone that says he will be returning to Strikeforce at all” or have you just made this bit up.
    Or did he just say if the UFC offered him the deal he is after he would sign, just like Arlovski, Sylvia, Hendo, Fedor, Mousasi and the rest would have. I don’t care for this kind of reporting.
    I would guess that somebody asked him “will you fight for the UFC” and he replied like an elite professional athlete should. Did you expect him to say “ohhh hell no”. Read in to this as much as you like but you are just trying to hear something that isn’t there.

• LiverPunch says:

By the way does SF test for steroids? so what the hell does that have to do with him signing with the UFC?. Let me remind people that Sherk, Franca, Sylvia and others were caught in the UFC. You guys act as if the UFC is free from guys taking steroids. The UFC is quite capable of looking after itself people.
    Again I stess that all fighters would sign with the UFC with the right conditions.

• edub: Insanely retarted comparison. Overeem could very well be the most well rounded HW in MMA not named Fedor. He also would provide a tough to test to anyone in the HW division. The only problem is the guy hasnt fought under athletic commision guidelines(ie..Drugtesting) for over two years, and hes put on what looks like 30 lbs with at least 20 of it being muscle.  (Quote)

What? Really? Over Nog? Mir? Carwin? Dont get me wrong Overeem has gotten alot better with his ground skills but more rounded than either of those two but submitting Gary Goodridge, Josh Thompson and a bunch of other men not known for their elite ground skills does not make you as well rounded as Fedor. I wanna see him roll with Big Nog or Mir before I’d ever make that claim,
    But yes he needs to fight some real competition and soon. Fight Fedor and risk losing your belt, because that’s all he’s risking losing by fighting the most dominant heavyweight ever. By not fighting in the US against better competition in better organizations he’s missing out on a lot more.

• TURKISH says:

This interview was fabricated according to Scott Coker and I believe him 100%.
    Because Fighters Only magazine should stop hiding behind their alias and go by their true name. Zuffa Only magazine.
    There are only a couple decent MMA mags. on the market and Fighters Only isn’t one of them