Chuck Liddell: I have to go out on my own, the way I want to go out

There is no doubt Chuck Liddell has proven himself as one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time. He could walk away from the sport forever, and undoubtedly go down as one of the driving forces that help MMA reach the masses.

After losing four of his last five fights, with three coming by brutal knockouts, most were calling the storied career of Chuck Liddell over. However, the UFC Hall of Famer has other ideas.

Already set to return against former champion Tito Ortiz for a third time, Liddell says this fight is only the beginning.

Speaking with the Las Vegas Review Journal, Liddell claims after the Ortiz meeting, he plans on making one last run at the Light Heavyweight title, “I would like another fight and then I want another fight after,” he said. “Hopefully, Dana’s happy with my two wins and I get a shot at a contender and then a shot at a title. That’s four fights and that’s about as far forward as I’ve thought.”

“I miss fighting and I want to fight, so that’s what I’m doing, I’ll keep arguing and (Dana White) will keep arguing with me. I just have to show him that I can perform.”

However, The Iceman insists he will not prolong his career, when his time comes, “I have to go out on my own, the way I want to go out. It has to be my decision,” he said. “I’m not going to let fans or people that aren’t that close to me and don’t watch me train, don’t see what I can still do, make that decision for me.”

The former champion is set to coach opposite Ortiz, on The Ultimate Fighter Season 11, set to air in March.

No word as of yet, when Liddell will face off against Ortiz.

• moosebaby02 says:

Chuck is a grown man. Let him make his own mind up

• Unabomberman says:

moosebaby02: hey he want to go out on his own terms and not by Dana’s even if he is looking out for him.
    Chuck is a grown man. Let him make his own mind up

• Jstew3785 says:

True. In his own mind he is still a LHW contender. He thinks he’s just in a slide and had some bad luck. He always wants just one more chance to prove he still has it. He hasn’t looked the same in a while though. While I hope that he has a good showing against Tito, if he doesn’t he should probably hang it up. But he is a grown man and a legend in the sport so basically he can do whatever the hell he wants. He’s earned that right.

• Jak says:

I put it on another site, but if he wants to fight, Rich Franklin, Forrest Griffin, Kimbo Slice would all be good marketable fights and with little risk to those guys ko-ing Liddell.

I’m from Vancouver and have Zero interest in seeing Liddell/Ortiz 3 in Van, but if he’s going to fight, hopefully it’s at least good.

I understand the wanting to go out on your own terms and feeling like you got a few fights in you but why not contribute to the sport in another way?

Shit if my boss was like hey you did enough to secure your place in the history of our business why don’t you take a consultant gig here at the company and just do appearances/expos for the co. and be one of our spokespersons and collect a decent check while your at it… pretty sure I’d be like fuck working- I’ll take the gig. Especially knowing most of my peers would never be presented that type of role in the co.
    He needs to see the big picture- Go out a winner with Ortiz fight and keep whats left of the brain cells and still have a big involvment with the sport or continue until enough damage is done that you don’t remember your career at all by the time retirement rolls around??
    I dunno like he said its his call… Big fan of his just don’t get what he has to prove.

• I agree with Jak….Forrest Franklin Kimbo are all good fights for the iceman. Or what about Luiz Cane? Cantwell? When Forrest dropped two straight they gave him Hector Ramirez and then threw him into the fire against Shogun where he really rose to the occasion. I would love to see Lidell Vs. Jardine 2 as it was a super close fight and a very entertaining one at that. If Chuck cant make another title run, big deal, I know when Chuck comes to the ring there’s a 95% chance someone is gettin woken up after the ref waves off the fight be it Chuck or his laid out opponent. I think Chuck and Franklin would be an extraordinary fight. Neither one will probably ever get their paws on 205 gold, but Im not watching for titles, Im watchin for good fights! Im just sayin if Chuck could get his old school ice man confidence back, he still may have some great fights left in him and it’d be a shame to miss those because someone convinced him he’s done.

• moosebaby02 says:

Unabomberman: Problem is that his ‘own mind’ may end up costing him a hell of a lot of things. It’s up to him to decide when he wants to go out, but he shoul at least be aware of the fact that he is at higher risk than other athletes of contracting a serious affliction.  (Quote)

very true. then thats up to his family to sit down and talk to him.
    but who is Dana or any of us to tell him what to do. the athletic commision says he can fight hell there lettting Hersal Walker figjht this weekend for F sakes. Every day when you wake up there is risk in everything we do. this is more of a serious nature but i know one thing for sure is that i cant stand when someone tells me i cant do something when i know i can do it. but thats also what i think in my mind. it dosent mean i right

• mu_shin says:

Lots of examples in boxing, which obviously has a much longer and storied history, of fighters who thought they had more to give, only to find their time had passed. Rocky Marciano will forever be known as the guy who retired 49-0, and did not tarnish his past achievements by trying to fight past his prime, unlike many other great champions. Before the more modern era, lots of guys fought for the money they needed to survive, with Joe Louis and Sugar Ray Robinson being examples of wealthy successful champions who got into financial trouble and tried to keep fighting to maintain their lifestyle and their reputation, only to fail in the ring, long past their athletic prime.

Chuck Liddell is 40, and while that may not qualify as his prime, I like many others here still think if his training goes well and the Iceman feels he can entertain the fans, then by all means he’s an adult, a grown man with his own opinion of his career and his potential legacy, and he has the right to make his own decisions. There are valid concerns about his health, as he’s had concussions in several of his last fights, not to mention all the shots he’s taken in training and in the ring over the years, but that danger is part and parcel of being a professional fighter, a risk he decided to take years ago, and one he has the right to continue to assume.

Tito Ortiz lines up for me as a perfect opponent for Chuck at this time. Another aging former champion, looking to regain his form and make an impression after losing a lot of time to injury, Tito should be motivated and focused on this match, wanting to extend his career as well. With two knockout victories over Tito, Liddell certainly will enjoy a psychological advantage, and as long as he can shake the ring rust (it will be over a year by the time they make it into the cage since Chuck has fought) and come into this fight healthy and in good condition, there’s a great chance we’ll see the outcome Chuck Liddell is hoping for.

• LiverPunch says:

Lidell beats Tito, beats Thiago Silva then fights Nog and loses, retires.

• Nick Havok says:

What? Chuck turned down the UFC desk job Dana offered him?

LOL!!!

But I’m glad Liddell is doing what he feels is right, against what Dana White wants. To hell with Dana for coming out and publicly trying to announce Liddell’s retirement without even talking with him about it first.

And he claims Chuck is his friend…what a dick move.