Forrest Griffin vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira likely for UFC 113

A light heavyweight showdown between former UFC 205 pound champion Forrest Griffin and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira has been set for UFC 113.

The news of the bout comes courtesy of Nogueira himself who recently relayed the news of the impending match-up to Tatame.com.

The two are likely to face off during UFC 113 which is expected for May 8 from Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Both fighters will be coming off of impressive wins, with Forrest avenging a previous defeat at the hands of Tito Ortiz during UFC 106, and Nogueira making his UFC debut a successful one at the same event with a first round TKO over Luiz Cane.

While nothing has been finalized by the promotion as of this time, a welterweight tussle between Josh Koscheck and Paul Daley is also expected to take place during UFC 113, along with the heavyweight slugfest first reported by FiveOuncesofPain.com between Kimbo Slice and Matt Mitrione.

• fanoftna33 says:

This will be Griffin’s third tko/ko in his last 4 fights.

• Dufresne says:

I don’t like this matchup for Griffin. Little Nog has great hands and is more than decent on the ground.

Forrest is going to have his hands completely full with this fight.

• Dufresne: Forrest is going to have his hands completely full with this fight.

I agree. Little Nog should dominate this fight. Forrest hasn’t gotten stronger as a fighter since …the beginning. He always throws the loose leg kick and goes head first while striking. .. Anderson exposed that. I like forrest, he is fun to watch but, Forrest doesn’t do well against mature fighters that are in there to finish the fight. His cardio is great but his animal instinct is terrible. Forrest could be a champion again and hold it IF he can become a more serious fighter.

• xtreme_machine says:

They want to give Nog a name fighter so he can prove he deserves the title shot

winner may get title shot or Randy couture

• Bad Monkey says:

I’m a big Forrest fan, but I have to agree that this is a tough fight for him to win. Hopefully he and Randy can come up with some sort of solid game plan or it could be a rough night for Forrest.

• Rich S. says:

I’m not going to count Forrest out, just because I vowed I’d never do that again after his bouts with Shogun and Rampage.. In both situations I literally thought it IMPOSSIBLE for him to win..

But once again, I find it hard to believe that Forrest can win this fight..
    Rogerio’s hands are more technical and far more powerful..
    And I doubt we’re going to see Forrest put on a wrestling clinic..
    I wouldn’t be totally shocked if Griffin pulled out a shocker, just because that stuff is his forte, but I say Rogerio via Unanimous Decision..

Besides, I’ve had Rogerio vs. Shogun II for 5 rounds moving around in my head for months now, and I see Rogerio winning that one too for some reason..

• TheZoomZoomKid says:

The Montreal Athletic Commission shouldn’t even allow this fight to happen. I like Forrest and admire his guts but….jesus, it ain’t gonna be pretty for him

• silkshot61 says:

I would have rather watch Forrest vs Thiago Silva first but this will have to do. I don’t like this fight at all for Forrest he is going to get out striked, out wrestled, and ultimately knocked the hell out. The kid has heart but has failed to evolve as a fighter and that is why he will lose. There is nothing in his game that he could possibly utilize in order to win. Everything he does Little Nog does that much better. I am not going to completely count him out but as it was stated before he and Randy need to come up with one hell of a game plan or this fight is going to end up like the Keith Jardine fight. Good luck Forrest you’ll need it man.

• Sic says:

I see no way Forrest wins this one. I will be interested to see what the betting lines will be like though. Forrest being a former LHW champ and all I wonder if anyone will be crazy enough to have him as the favorite. I wouldn’t mind making some money off a lil Nog win.

• matt says:

It seems like everyone on this site is counting Forrest out before the fight and event for that matter are even confirmed. I also am hearing alot about how Forrest has not improved since his days on the ultimate figher season 1. If you want evidence of his improvment watch his first fight with Bonnar and then watch his second fight with Bonnar. And he has greatly improve since that second fight with Bonnar. Forrest has crisp striking though I do agree he is lacking knock out power, the only two fighters that have ever out struck Forrest are Anderson Silva and Keith Jardine, and Jardine was losing that fight and getting beat by the technique of Forrest until he landed that one shot that rocked forrest and put him into slugout mode. Forrest has some of the most deadly leg kicks in the division and has outstruck some of the best strikers in the division, Rampage and Shogun. Forrest also has undrated takedowns and bjj. He has never been submitted in a fight and has won almost half of his fights by submission. Forrest has more submission wins than Lil Nog and has been fighting the tougher competition recently. Forrest’s last five fights were against, Ortiz, Silva, Evans, Jackson, and Rua. He has gone 3-2 in his past 5 fights with 4 of them coming against guys currently ranked in the pound for pound top 10. Lil Nog’s last five fights were against, Cane, Staring, Matyushenko, Rimbon, and Dewees. I am not saying Forrest is going to win this fight, all I am saying is dont count him out this early, infact never count Forrest out of any fight (unless it is against Anderson Silva.)

• Dufresne says:

I’m not saying he doesn’t have a shot in this fight, after all, he is a former champ and I’ve never seen him quit. Hell, he had a dislocated jaw and kept charging at the P4P best fighter in the world.

I’m just saying he’s going against a world class boxer and jiu jitsu practitioner and is gonna have a hard time.

But you are right matt, his striking has drastically improved since he first came in. He has his moments of stupid mistakes when swinging wildly, but overall he’s pretty solid in that aspect. People tend to forget that he was beating Rashad before he got caught with a solid shot which was followed up with some nasty GnP.

You can never count anyone out of any fight (especially Forrest) since this is MMA, but he’s going to have a tough night ahead of him in Little Nog.

• LiverPunch says:

Just my opinion but I have always seen Nog at the top of the heap along with Rampage, Shogun and more recently Machida and perhaps Mousasi. Forrest is a couple of tiers down but on his day…who knows?.

• Nick Havok says:

*thump*…*thump*

That was Forrest Griffin getting thrown under the bus by every poster on this site.

But I agree with ya’ll.

Unless Forrest can unleash and errant forearm that blindsides Nogueira…I think Rogerio has got this one.

• hindsightufuk says:

its not that i cant see how Forrest wins, its just that little Nog is such a good fighter, i cant see how he loses. at the end of his career Forrest’s record will show he fought some of the best in the game, he may pick up a few losses but he has consistantly fought the best

I don’t think Forrest is exactly going to get the beating of his life like some of you guys are making it sound… I think it’s going to be a good fight and atleast Forrest is in a fight that could have some impact on the division… after the title fight coming up and the rampage/rashad fight the winner of forrest/ lil nog could be some where near that pack of fighters and get thrown into the mix very easily… Do I think Forest gets the W ? no i would’nt bet on that but anything can happen in there…

• moosebaby02 says:

i love Forrest. i love little Nog.
    little Nog is better everywhere
    i love Forrest
    Good luck Forrest

• I agree with Matt up there. Forrest has been fighting tougher competition for longer and has been doing better at it. And let’s not forget in all of his losses minues the A Silva loss he was really giving a good showing. Jardine hurt him and capatalized after CLEARLY getting picked apart the whole round. Forrest handily beat Rashad in rounds 1 and 2 of their fight and I still think Forrest should’ve gotten the nod in his first encounter with Tito.
    Lil Nog has fantastic hands (just like Shogun) insane Jiu Jitsu(just like Shogun) and I think Forrest has the skill set to hang with him and let’s face it possibly pull out the win. As far as lacking KO power look who Forrest fights..Rashad has been KO’d once, Rampage ONCE, Silva never, Tito has never been truly Ko’d Chuck just beat him down. Forrest has better kicks and by all means has the skills to roll on the ground with Lil Nog. Dont be surprised to see the Forrest Griffin win.

And before anyone mentions Nog beat Luiz Cane as for top tier competition just remember Luiz Cane’s biggest win was against Soudkodjou or Cantwell. Which ever you call bigger.

• PsYc0tIkDrEaM says:

Forrest is not going to pull off a Sokodjou or another Shogun upset in here.

• Jstew3785 says:

I think this fight will be extremely competitive. Forrest will be the bigger guy but definitely not the stronger guy. Forrest lacks the KO power that Lil Nog has. Forrest has good submission defense so I’m not worried about Lil Nog tapping him out. I think this will go to a decision but will be a very entertaining fight.

• manny says:

I smell a lil nog KO in the first round. Griffin will lose again, lil nog is way better in every category but forest may have the edge on heart. But heart can only lead you so farm the rest is talent. Nog’s ground, hands , and power are way better than Forest. Lil nog will inch closer to a title shot depending if machida loses, b/x he will fight shogun but i doubt he’ll fight machida. Forest or Randy are no way near a title shot, so I dont understand why ppl are sayin they deserve a title shot. The next fighter in line @ 205 would be lil nog if he wins by KO and machida loses, otherwise I see Rampage beating rashad and rampage would fight either shogun or machida.

• matt says:

Just remember this. Every time people counted Forrest out of a fight saying he had no choice to win, he won, against Rampage and against Shogun. The lone exception is his fight with Anderson Silva. I believe the reason he was so thoroughly dominated by Anderson was that he went into that fight scared. We all know if you step into the cage scared and intiminated by your oppenent you have no chance of coming out victorious.

• Connor Cobain says:

Ya, It’s cool everyone just count Forrest out. Because you know he’s never fought a knockout artist before. Oh and he’s never fought a BJJ black belt before. I think this is Forrest’s stepping stone back to a title shot.

• KTru says:

Lil Nog 1st Rd TKO

• matt says:

What are you suppose to say after a loss. Everytime somebody gets interviewed after a loss its the same thing, a laundry list of excuses as to why they lost. There is no point for the loser being interviewed after a fight. And when you win a fight of course your going to be all smiles, mma is one of the most adrenline filled sports ever.

KTru: I’m no longer a fan of Forrest after decided to shun the fans and refused to answer questions about running like a sore loser after being thoroughly dominated by Silva. We the fans made you the MMA star you have become and supported the sale of your autobiography. And you turn around and act like a dick. But you are all smiles and talkative after you beat a washed up Toto Ortez, via split decision.Lil Nog 1st Rd TKO  (Quote)

• Jstew3785 says:

Forrest running out of the cage didn’t bother me. Hell, I don’t blame him. It looked like Brett Rogers wanted to do the same thing but they made him stick around so they could ask him questions.

• KRS 27 says:

Wow, has anyone in UFC history faced this tough a schedule?

Dam, all this guy does is fight top 10 LHWs.

Shogun, Rampage, Rashad, Anderson, tito, Lil Nog.

anyway, I think Lil Nog should knock him out, and that will put Nogs right up in the front of the LHW div. Possible fight if he wins could be Randy if he beats Coleman, I think Rashad/Rampage gets next title shot, but Lil Nog vs Randy for the next title shot after that could happen.

But dam, talk about a great card, I know Page/Rashad is off this card, but still.

Shogun/Machida LHW title
    Lil Nog/Forrest
    Daley/Kos
    Cote/Belcher
    Kimbo/Mittrione

Thats one pretty dam nice main card right there, got a huge title fight, some big popular fighters and names, Forrest, Kos, Cote, Daley and then Kimbo.

Man, there has never been a lineup of events the UFC is gonna do.

From mid March to mid May, you got UFC 111 112 113, all huge stacked events, 5 title fights, UFC on Versus is stacked, UFC Primetime GSP/Hardy show, UFC Fight Night on Spike with Gomi/Florian, TUF 11 debut, talk about a two month stretch.

That is why the UFC is the best org and cant even be touched by SF or Dream or anyone else.

• Creature says:

Idk why everyone is counting forrest out.. its stupid..

Forrest has good hands, throws good combos and kicks, he will test nog’s standup more than everyone seems 2 think and has great bjj, cardio, and heart, lil nog is a beast plain and simple.. honestly i can see forrest getting the W via decision..

and 4 those of u saying randy doesnt deserve a title shot.. r u retarded? if he wins his next fight with rich franklin.. he deserves it more than rashad/rampage or forrest/ nog and i honestly think the winner of rashad/rampage will fight winner of forrest/nog 4 the next title shot AFTER couture.. IF he beats franklin..