Lesnar training partner Cole Konrad triumphant in MMA debut

Last night in Fargo, North Dakota, former two-time NCAA champion Cole Konrad made a triumphant foray into competitive mixed martial arts with a first round submission victory over Gary Hamen.

Konrad, competing for the M.A.X. Fights promotion, submitted Hamen in just 1:13 into the fight via what has been described to FiveOuncesOfPain.com as a “polar bear choke.”

The 26-year old Konrad is a University of Minnesota graduate who was recruited by Brock Lesnar’s MMA wrestling coach Marty Morgan to become a full-time fixture of Lesnar’s training camps. According to eyewitness reports, both Morgan and Lesnar along with UFC heavyweight Chris Tuchscherer cornered Konrad during Saturday’s fight.

Prior to committing to MMA full-time, Konrad had been recruited by then-New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini to try out for the team despite having never played a down of football in college due to his incredible athleticism.

Industry insiders believe Konrad to be one of the best unsigned heavyweight prospects in all of MMA. Additionally, sources have informed FiveOuncesOfPain.com that Konrad has already received offers to compete in Japan as well in the United States with the Bellator Fighting Championships.

While Konrad’s next fight has yet to be officially announced, sources indicate to FiveOuncesOfPain.com that he could be involved in a February event taking place in Philadelphia.

• retrofitting123 says:

awesome-another tp caliber bug wrestler never hurts mma. I hope he sets a good pace for getting experience unlike some heavyweight wresters with 4-0 records

• retrofitting123 says:

typo top -big

• Dufresne says:

I want to see this fabled “polar bear choke.”

I like that top level athletes are starting to look towards MMA as a viable career path.

• Markos says:

Can somebody describe this polar bear choke??
    I googled it and got funny drawings of polar bears choking peguins…. that doesnt seem right

• xtreme_machine says:

I say it is a bear hug like move

• dpk says:

This guy has a bright future in the sport. Between his training with Lesnar, Tuchscherer, and Madsen he should have a good idea of where he is and what his best options are.

I too am curious as to what a Polar Bear choke is.

• Richard Stabone says:

I too am curious to see the video.

As for the *polar bear choke* it sounds maybe like what Fedor finished Syliva with? Though it was credited as a rear naked choke, it was more like Fedor cranking both hands under Timmy’s chin and pulling back like he was trying to pop his head off.

• BillyWarhol says:

I love gettin’ Polar Bear Chokes from Gina!!

• plaster says:

Polar bear choke is like you give your little bro when you were wrestling at age 8. Watch out for Cole in the heavy ranks because being the wrestler he is with the training he’s getting and the anger I personally know he has he will be trouble. I think Brock knows he now has to stay on his A game to remain champ..

Imagine having to see Brock Lesner cornering the guy your fighting… you would either laugh or be terrified.