Chael Sonnen: Anderson Silva hates the media and pretends not to speak perfect English

Chael Sonnen recently took some time out of his schedule while in preparations for his UFC 109 showdown with Nate Marquardt to address the current UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, along with his perceived inability to speak English fluently.

“If he wants to leave the division, leave the sport, who cares,” said Sonnen in a recent conversation with MMA Weekly. “Beat it, nobody tunes in to watch him anyways, and his little fake ‘I don’t speak English.

“You want me to let you in on a secret, Anderson Silva speaks perfect English. He just has such a low amount of respect for you and all the rest of the media that he pretends he doesn’t. I’ve had conversations with Anderson Silva in perfect English, and on top of that he’s so boring to listen to that he and his rocket scientist manager, Ed Soares, who is also about as exciting as watching grass grow, have decided that Ed is better on the mic than Anderson, so just let Ed do the talking.

“It’s quite ironic that all the media comes on and talks about how great this guy is for reasons that are completely un-understandable to me. How great Anderson Silva is, and all of us fighters are in the back going, ‘jeez, they’re out there massaging his ego, Anderson hates them so much, he pretends he can’t understand them.”

The manager of Silva, Ed Soares, had this to say upon hearing Sonnen’s recent comments, “[Anderson] doesn’t speak perfect English. It’s definitely improving a lot and he can start to have a little bit more of a conversation with people, but at the end of the day when the lights are on and the camera is there, he likes to have someone next to him there to translate for him.”
In regards to why Sonnen would fire such verbal bullet’s in The Spider’s direction, Soares explained, “Chael’s not a dumb guy, he’s a pretty smart guy. I think no one will really pay attention to what he has to say unless he probably talks about Anderson.

“I don’t know what he’s doing, but I would be keeping my mouth shut and in the gym training, especially training his stand-up.”

• xtreme_machine says:

he is busting an Alan Belcher in hopes of trash talking his way into a title shot if he beats Nate

but Chael it won’t work and it won’t happen

Nate is going to own you in every level

• Angry Mike says:

And there you have it. Soares’ snappy retort (shut your mouth and improve your stand up) may prove Sonnen’s point, at least in part: Soares is better on the mic than Anderson. And since Soares is the guy responding, Anderson stays above the fray, looking all professional and whatnot. I’ll leave it to the media to decide whether Anderson likes them.

• My thought is…Who cares. If Anderson speaks better english that’s great, good for him. If he hates talking to the media, good for him. The way most people see how our media treats our celebrities I cant blame them for hating the media. As long as the Spider comes out there and delivers the goods, I could care less if he speaks good/bad/excellent/perfect or piss poor english. I understand that alot of people feel that it makes a person easier to market if they speak our current national language but I can understand Chael Sonnen perfectly, and I’d still rather watch Fedor, Anderson, Lyoto, Shogun, or Demian Maia than him. Good luck against Nate there Chael…..but I think you’ll just be another notch on the greats record as he gets back to his title shot.

• chiggs says:

this fight may produce the first death in mma. the nate of late is determined and is goind to WALK though sonnen. this guy has no chance

• cocoonofhorror says:

about time someone said this publicly. Ando’s fake humility makes me sick.

• robby says:

i liked sonnen until i read this total jealousy on his part. i bet anderson speaks english better than sonnen speaks portuguese. and anderson has more class then to even comment on this

• saerbarnet says:

Funny that Sonnen says that nobody cares if Anderson leaves the sport.. I doubt any one would give a flying fuck if Sonnen quit tomorrow.

• Richard Stabone says:

I bumped into Anderson Silva at LAX just before the news of his elbow surgery came out last year, and he was very cordial… chatting for a bit, taking a picture and just being a friendly dude. But yeah, I’d agree with Chael that his English is probably better than he lets on. I got the same vibe even in that brief encounter.

But who cares? Obviously the UFC wants their popular fighters to be marketable, sell PPVs, help grow the sport, etc. But if a guy chooses not to, understanding it’ll potentially limit his fight purses and sponsorship opportunities and overall ability to earn $$, so be it. It should be his choice. (Brock has mastered the opposite end of the spectrum and people love to bitch about that too.)

So Anderson has an extra built-in excuse over the other English-speaking guys who don’t open up. I don’t see this as a respect issue, and I think Chael realizes that too but he’s just trying to stir the pot a bit for whatever reason… maybe he’s got something against Silva personally, maybe he just wants to get his own name out there as and is leveraging Silva as Soares suggests, whatever.

Anderson can speak English. Wow, now the world knows the truth!!

• baldguy80 says:

Last time I checked, Anderson Silva was paid to fight, not do stand-up comedy.. I don’t really care for Silva as a fighter, but sometimes it’s nice to NOT have to listen to him (or any other fighter) stroke his own ego. Brock Lesnar should take lessons..

• moosebaby02 says:

Sonned needs to worry about Nate The Great and how long he will be out of commisson after Nate rips his head off

• JOEgun says:

Who cares Chael?? Shut up. If he was deaf mute or spoke 50 different languages, it doesnt matter!. His octagon perfomance is what really matters to the fans. I certainly dont feel disrespected finding out he speaks english well. If he knows it but doesnt want to use it in front of the cameras, thats definitely fine with me. Thanks for giving me a good reason to cheer Nate on even more (but then again it’d be damn sweet to see Anderson destroy you).

• Connor Cobain says:

Wow Chael Sonnen? Really? This is the guy who’s so borring to watch fighting that UFC Unleashed has like one episode with him in it, and I think he gets submitted by Babaloo.

• BigDave says:

Ok, Sonnen needs to just stfu. He won’t be fighting anderson silva anytime soon because he is about to get his head kicked in by Nate. As for the not speaking english part who cares, lets be honest in any language after a fight they all say the same things, they thank there sponsers, trainers at there gym and the fans for comeing out, and then they say come party at some club after the event. So really not anything earth shattering that we need to have him speak in perfect english.

• xtreme_machine says:

The fact that we are talking about what sonnen said

Proves that his plan work because we have now invested our time on no matter who little it was

• paddiosf says:

CHael is such a ignorant hillbilly, I would love to see him try and speak portguese in Brazil…..UFC doesnt care about the language barrier and its about the Art of fighting and the art of fighting doesnt have a language its universal…Chael is one step below Hughes in the “hick” catergory…

• Lethal Liquid says:

What I love about this sport is that there is no better cure for a mouth like a fist to the face. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Chael get put out to pasture after Nate destroys him.

• Carvaggio says:

I think someone needs a hug…

• cocoonofhorror says:

:facepalm

• qat says:

xtreme_machine:
    The fact that we are talking about what sonnen said

correct, we shouldn’t take it that serious, if he is right or not doesn’t matter. i think he just wanted to secure a shot at sílva if he somehow manages to get a snooze-win over nate.

• islandguy says:

If I wuz Chael I’d be trying to focus a bit more on Marquart before I started the Silva trash-talking thing. Chael is in big trouble with that fight.. Nate will kick his butt preeeety handily.

• egad81 says:

I really dont care if a fighter speaks Klingon… JUST SHUT UP AND FIGHT!

I pay money to see blood and violence in an artistic display of combat!

• Anoiselikethunder says:

Chael Sonnen is a retard!

• Nick Havok says:

Anderson Silva’s fake humility kinda rubs me the wrong way too.

Chael’s claims seem to go hand-in-hand with Anderson Silva’s disparaging remarks he made in his post fight interview after he defeated Thales Leites.

But make no mistake. Anderson is an absolute killer…and what he did to Forrest Griffin was one of the most mind blowing things I have ever seen in the sport.

Can’t wait for his fight with Vitor. He is gonna add another clip to his highlight reel when he KO’s the Phenom.

• Jstew3785 says:

I like Chael. At least he’s always honest and tells it like it is, regardless of who wants to hear it.

• Chael Sonnen is my hero….not 😀 I want Anderson to punch Sonnen in the face or something 😀 Snap into a Slim Jim!

• Jstew3785 says:

Rece Rock: Just bringin attention to his current fight… think he like every other fighter in the division is frustrated with a dominant champ and a stagnant title picture… blowin off some steam. Think chael knows what he said has nothign to do with the fact Anderson is dominating the division so he tried and do some damage with words.. when you know your fists aint going to do the job maybe take a verbal jab and hope it makes you feel better?  (Quote)
    </blockquote
    Or maybe he's just telling the truth…

@ Jstew3785-

Maybe he is telling the truth but that’s still irrelevant to why bring this up if your not fighting the guy and you have a huge challenge ahead of you…? Like I said I think he’s frustrated and didn’t curb his mouth… truth or lie at the end of the day Chael loses to Anderson 99 out of a 100 times, and that’s being nice.

I don’t care for either one of these fighters… not to say there not good fighters i just don’t personally follow them… so it’s not a case of me liking anderson or something cause i could care less for him, to me that division is stale right now.

• Nick Havok says:

Rece Rock: to me that division is stale right now.

It’s stale because most of the exciting middleweights fight in Strikeforce.