Bobby Lashley vs. Wes Sims set for “Strikeforce: Miami”

First it was Yohan Banks, then it was Jimmy Ambriz, and now it finally appears as though Bobby Lashley has found an opponent that has been deemed fit to fight in 6’10” Ultimate Fighter veteran, Wes Sims.

The bout was confirmed as being official through a recent report on MMAJunkie.com.

The two will face off during “Strikeforce: Miami” on January 30 from the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida, while airing live on Showtime.

Lashley was last seen in MMA action submitting Bob Sapp with punches back in June of 2009, while Sims last fought in an unofficial bout on The Ultimate Fighter where he was submitted with an arm-triangle by Justin Wren in the first round.

• xtreme_machine says:

i am looking for Sim to pull up the upset

and he can because he is a wrestler training at the Hammer house with Coleman and he has decent stand up

i will be happy if it ends with some Mir like Stomps top the feace of Lashley

• fanoftna33 says:

I really hope Wes looks a little better than his TUF fight, but with Lashly’s wrestling I think he gets a decisive victory here.

• retrofitting123 says:

wow -lashley really stepping up here-Sims is no quitter and lanky with good reach.im not sure lashley will be able to hold him down three rounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!im excited

• hindsightufuk says:

xtreme_machine: i am looking for Sim to pull up the upset
    i will be happy if it ends with some Mir like Stomps top the feace of Lashley

my first thought was fuck off, this is a shit fight, but after you brought up the Mir stomps it made me smile and feel all warm inside! Unfortunately i think that is Wes career high!

• Guthookd says:

Sims has a great personality and I found his antics on the show quite entertaining. His fight…..less exciting. Maybe xtreme_machine is right and the Hammer House training will work to his advantage, but I highly doubt we’ll see the upset this time around.

Good luck to both fighters. Wes…all I can say is SRAWL!

• cocoonofhorror says:

as overrated as Lashley is, Simms has about 0% chance in this fight.

• Makington says:

Sims has been at Hammer House forever and it has never helped him, but this is a much better fight for Lashley. Don’t get me wrong, Sims is terrible at almost everything but he does have a semi-popular name. If Lashley beats him it will look much better on his record just because people recognize Wes from his UFC appearances and TUF. On the slight off chance that Lashley loses then people can still say it was to a crafty veteran and keep the Lashley train going. When you have a guy that’s as marketable yet inexperienced as Lashley you need to pick your fights with him if you’re trying to make money off him, and that’s exactly what Wes Sims will do. Bobby will outpower Sims and make him look like a chump, while gaining a recognizable name on his record.

I’m still not excited for this fight, but it does make a lot more sense than the previous two.

• jding3 says:

Hopefully Lashley will be able to get through Sims like he should and then hopefully they will be able to give him “contender” opponents, because at 33 and new to mma i don’t know how long Lashley has to prove himself. I think Sims is an awkward opponent and that’s what makes this fight interesting, but I wanna see how good Lashley really is and I don’t think this bout is going to do that.

• H3ro says:

Lashley is getting lots of great publicity and lots of comparisons with Brock Lesnar. They find an opponent for Lashley less than 3 weeks into the fight. How prepared is Lashley’s opponent going to be? Fighters need at least 6 – 9 weeks to train for a fight….whoever is fighting is not going to be ready. Any fighter in Sims position would already be at a big disadvantage.

Lashley needs to be fighting some real competition if he wants to be taken seriously. What’s up with these baby steps?? Seriously, StrikeForce wants to bank on Lashley for the future?? That’s a joke, the dude is 33 years old. People are saying Nog and Fedor are getting too old to fight. I’m sick of hearing how great Lashley is going to be. His long term steroid use is going to catch up with him and we will soon be hearing how Lashley is always injured. You heard it here first.

• robby says:

i think people will be surprised i don’t think lasley is over hyped these top notch wrestlers transition to mma very well . i think you will see lasley is the real deal

• H3ro says:

I wonder if Lashley could even beat Cheick Kongo?? LOL

• retrofitting123 says:

H3ro: I think people will be surprised if Lashley ever fights a top 10 heavyweight. Look at Brock and Cain’s first few fights?? Brock is more valuable than Lashley, he got thrown in with the best of them in the UFC. UFC had a lot riding on Brock and it worked out. Lashley does not have a fighters mentality. He’s been in WWE for too long. If you can’t even get an approval for a fighter because it’s not challenging enough…isn’t that embarrassing enough?? Lashley should be speaking up and asking for top competition.I wonder if Lashley could even beat Cheick Kongo?? LOL  (Quote)

i think king mo would kill em. Also ,a fighters mentality is needed and thats why my previous comment was misconstrued,I wasnt giving simms any credit,im just not sold on lashley either.

• qat says:

Guthookd:
    Sims has a great personality and I found his antics on the show quite entertaining.His fight…..less exciting.Maybe xtreme_machine is right and the Hammer House training will work to his advantage, but I highly doubt we’ll see the upset this time around.
    Good luck to both fighters. Wes…all I can say is SRAWL!

great personality? he is just a — [DELETED – NO FIGHTER BASHING – STAFF]. thats all there is to it, and thats all he ever will be. i hope lashley crushes him.

• Makington says:

I wouldn’t say he has a great personality but he is pretty funny to watch. He is just so insanely dumb that you think he is saying things as a joke but he isn’t, he’s just weird.

I guess you’re pretty right with him being a [ALSO DELETED BECAUSE WE HURT WES’ FEELINGS]

• cocoonofhorror says:

lol @ anyone that thinks Simms has a shot. this will probably be a worked fight in fact. anyone who wants some i am offering 20-1 on Simms, hit me up.

• moosebaby02 says:

this is a joke of a fight. i would give simms a chance if the hap a proper camp and a serious game plan.
    come on Croker

• moosebaby02 says:

holy shit
    if he had a proper camp

• this is not going to help Lashley get better lol. I like wes but nope 😀

• H3ro says:

Hey Retrofitting or anybody…how do you reply with the other user’s quote?
    Thanks

• Dufresne says:

H3ro: Hey Retrofitting or anybody…how do you reply with the other user’s quote?
    Thanks

You look at their post and at the bottom it will have a hyperlink that looks like (Quote) but underlined. Just click that to quote the entire post or highlight the part you want and click it for just the highlighted section.

• Nick Havok says:

I don’t care what anyone says…Wes Simms is hilarious to watch.

And the fact that he trains at Hammer House, completely sucks and is nicknamed ‘The Project’ makes it even funnier.

I only wish we would have gotten to see more of him on TUF 10. But the UFC pretty much buried him (I’m sure they saw no point in investing airtime in him after his poor fight on the show).

Fact is, I think he is more entertaining outside the cage than in it…so I hope Strikeforce is planning an interview with him before his fight with Lashley. I’d tune in just for that.

Seriously, last time I saw him interviewed he said he was going to end the fight with an Kimura-kneebar-triangle-toe hold (or something to that effect) then grabbed the two ring girls who he was holding and motorboated them.

You Motorboating son of a gun….

• mu_shin says:

While not really taking this fight all that seriously, we should still all remember that Lashley is a fighter, not a matchmaker. Wouldn’t you assume he’s taking what he’s being offered, and doing his job with who they give him?

Even so, have to say a real opponent is long overdue for the big man, so we can begin to see if his tremendous potential is ever to be realized. Maybe I’m totally wrong and Lashley is not interested in a true test, but why waste his time with wanna be’s and never was’s, when he could step up and either sink or swim?