Collision Course: Brock Lesnar not satisfied with previous beating dished out to Frank Mir

Finally it’s official, UFC Heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar will be back in Octagon.

Following months of inconclusive diagnosis and ailment speculation, Lesnar has experienced a miracle of a recovery. In what once was being labeled as a career ending injury, has now become a brief layoff with immediate intentions of getting back to business.

With an expected return by summertime, there is only one fight I want to see: Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir III

The bad blood between the two has been brewing since Brock’s first introduction into the UFC and has continued up to this day.

It has been no secret that former champion Frank Mir has his eyes set on a third match-up. Even during pre-fight interviews previous to his fight with Check Kongo, Mir was fixated on meeting Lesnar again. His entire focus seemed to be on Lesnar, with many even thinking Mir was looking past Kongo as an opponent. Well, a minute and thirteen seconds later cleared any predictions of whether he took his opponent lightly.

So with the announcement yesterday of Brock’s return, the possibility of facing Mir for a third time was presented to the former NCAA wrestling champion, Lesnar said, “Absolutely, You know what, I don’t think I beat him as bad as I could. So for me to get my hands on that stalker again, Frank Mir’s made it a mission of his life. Frank Mir’s a stalker. It’s been a while since I’ve had a stalker, but we’ll take care of that if we ever face him again. I’d be delighted to fight Frank again.”

With an interim title between Mir and Shane Carwin set for March, the winner will get the chance to take on Lesnar. If for some reason the winner of that match can’t be ready by Brock’s suspected return, the winner of the Cain Valasquez vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira willl step in.

“I’ll just sit back. I’ll sharpen my skills,” said Lesnar. “I’ll be prepared for either one of those guys (Carwin or Mir), or if it’s Nogueira or if it’s Velasquez, I know one thing all them guys are sh**ing their pants right now.”

And while the opponent makes no difference to Brock, as a fan, the hype train has already been set for a third showdown with Mir.

I think we will see the best and most determined Frank Mir against Carwin and while I have no doubt he poses a real threat to Mir, I am starting with an early prediction here and say Frank will win the fight. Since the beating he took at the hands of Lesnar back at UFC 100, Mir has looked every bit as impressive with one goal in mind, Brock Lesnar.

While nothing is set in stone as of yet, one thing is for sure, the champion is back.

• Rich S. says:

Wow.. I’m not sure how he could beat him any worse..
    Completely controlled him in the 1st and brutalized him in the 2nd..

I wouldn’t be caught dead saying this before their last bout, because of Lesnar’s big right hand and Mir’s sketchy chin, but I think Mir’s striking will be the key to victory for him in a 3rd bout..

I too think Mir will beat Carwin, and honestly, I think he’ll win via knockout.. Yeah.. I said it.. Let the flaming begin..

Mir’s striking has improved vastly each time out, since his career began.. But, now more than ever, I think he realizes he needs some solid, technical striking… And apparently all the muscle he put on made his hands heavier, as evident from the whopper he put on Kongo..

I think we all know that great striking mixed with an even better ground game is the formula to being champ.. Just take a look at Penn, St. Pierre, and Silva.. Easily the most dominant champions in UFC history, and arguably some of the best of all time..

Also, it’s a shame Lesnar can’t have a tune-up match.. He’s coming off a serious illness and possibly heading straight into one of the UFC’s biggest championship trilogies..

Love how he calls Mir a stalker… I’m surprised Mir hasn’t responded already… This is going to get interesting… Ahh by the summer we should be at the edge of our seats waiting for this match up, hopefully by then Mir gets the win over Carwin puts on some more muscle and poses a real threat to Lesner… I want to see this fight go back and forth and be a real challenge to both men. Mir better be putting in work cause you know Brocks going to be ready.

• Lethal Liquid says:

I just don’t see Mir pulling this out. He put on weight but his problem in the last fight was takedown defense. Brock will take him down and pound him out. To be honest I see Carwin putting Mir to sleep. In fact Carwin IMO will be the eventual champ once him and Lesnar hook it up

• savage henry says:

“Since the beating he took at the hands of Lesnar back at UFC 100, Mir has looked every bit as impressive….”

Every bit as impressive as who? He’s had one fight since then….against Kongo.

IMHO, he looked more impressive against Nog, and that was before the soul crushing Brock gave him at UFC 100. A 3rd fight with Brock will look just like the 2nd one.

• moosebaby02 says:

Im with Lethal Liquid and savage henry
    let the thumbs down begin

• retrofitting123 says:

im not dying to see the trilogy but i think it will happen. I feel mir will get past carwin somehow and the hype machine will be lexctly like last summer,and so will the result

• Arcticc says:

Oh, great. We have seen Lesnar in what? 4 fights? Two of them against Mir. Lets match them up again.

I rather see Lesnar fight ANYONE besides MIr again.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

I’d rather see Carwin/Lesnar first, winner fights Mir, winner of that faces winner of Cain/Nog. I know that doesn’t line up great timing wise, but if Brock has a clean bill of health, and is as bad ass as his ego thinks he is, he should be able to fight several times a year and not take any damage, which admittedly, he hasn’t. This is the arguement for one major league, I want Brock vs. Fedor now, not in eight years which is what we will be lucky to get, after neither is champ and both should retire. Sorry all of you UFC haters, but multiple promotions trying to compete as the top promotion only waters the product down and prevents the fights we want to see, eg. boxing. Strikeforce’s unwillingness to force title defenses and willingness to let talent fight for other organizations in countries with lacking drug enforcement make them a minor league. Tom Brady didn’t spend the NFL offseason in the Arena League, much less the playoffs. Nor did he play in the Japanese steroid division while the rest of the Patriots sat idle unable to defend their title.

• Guthookd says:

I really hope Frank can pull it off against Carwin, but despite all the hype for a Mir/Lesnar III I think we’re going to see a Carwin/Lesnar I.

If I’m wrong I’ll be more happy than if I’m right. I just don’t see Frank’s chin taking even a single blow from Carwin. Carwin takes it in under 1 minute of round 1.

• chiggs says:

all i want to know why everyone is forgetting a fellow named MR. DOS SANTOS. he is your future champ. why no comments on him guys. i know he wont fight nog, but he would kill cain, mir, and carwin, and im a mir and carwin fan. i say dos santos gets lesner in summer, after he knocks out gonzaga, or even scrap that matchup and have him fight lener. then the winner of that gets winner of mir/carwin

• Cogito Ergo Sum says:

I’m a firm believer that Frank can beat Carwin. I also think that Lesnar is going to come into this fight not 100% and also smaller than he should be. Mir should be able to beat Lesnar too and of course raise the chance of a future fourth fight. but honestly I would really love to see Mir and Nog go at it again while Carwin and Cain face one another. I wouldn’t mind if Dos got the nod for a title shot either although I don’t think he’s going to be holding the title for long if he gets there. The HW division if finally looking good. I really wish I could see Arlovski and Fedor in the picture for the UFC. If you hate on Arlovski thats bs, the guy is in terms of skill the best in the business, unfortunately he just has a suspect chin.

• Kuch says:

Mir has never had a good gas tank. Add to that additional muscle mass and age and I get the feeling his cardio will be as bad as it always has – maybe worse. Cardio doesn’t typically get better with age and weight gain (either muscle or fat). Mir’s biggest weakness has always been his chin, which I think Carwin might expose. Every loss for Mir has been via TKO and I don’t think we’ll see a change in that trend anytime soon. If he gets by Carwin (which I’m not ceratin he will) I see his next fight with Lesnar going the same as the second. I’d actually rather see Lesnar fight Carwin or Big Nog. Velasquez would be a good opponent too, but I don’t think he’ll get past Big Nog nor would he do well against Lesnar.

• Swing Em says:

I think LESNAR V MIR III is in our futures, however I don’t see ANYONE being able to stop Brock, not Mir, not Carwin, not Nog, not Cain & not Dos Santos

Let the “Reign of Terror” continue…Lesnar is back!

• submit662266 says:

Chiggs, I agree. I also don’t know why Jr. does not get more love. He will wear the belt one day and I think he is better than any of the current contenders and champion.

• BillyWarhol says:

Make Pretty Boy Mir WAIT! There’s at least 10 other Top Bonafide Talented Strikers I’d rather see face Brock Lesnar!

• submit662266 says:

As far as the foresee-able match-ups, Mir will beat Carwin: Shane’s game is too one-dimensional. Big Nog will beat Velasquez. Mir will beat Brock: I think the recent illness has taken a toll that will take a long, long time to recover from. I’m also suspicious of him changing his diet. It will certainly be more healthy, but will he be able to carry as much weight as before? I just don’t know.

Thinking about Brock and his family though, I’m glad to see that the big guy survived this scary illness and that it didn’t force him out of the game.

• magnum_bullet says:

I think to many people are assuming that mir will beat carwin… he looked good his last fight with Kongo but carwin isnt something to look past.. that guy is a beast.

• Connor Cobain says:

Wow all these people counting Carwin out already? Well I certainly am not. I believe that Mir and Brock will face up a 3rd time, it has to much publicity for it not too but it won’t be any time soon. Carwin took this fight because he believed Brock would be out for a LONG time, all of a sudden Brock’s healthy and he only gets an Interim shot? No Shane has been doing training camp after camp and I believe he will beat Mir and then get what he rightfully deserves, Brock and the belt.

• Cogito Ergo Sum says:

I would just like to point out how interesting it is that nobody is counting on Nog here. Or really Cain either. I really think Mir is the one who will be wearing the belt but its interesting how many different fans think Brock, Carwin, or Dos will reign. It just goes to show how much more depth the UFC hw division has gains as of recently. Even Gonzago could jump right back into contention with a solid win over Dos. I can see the UFC making huge money though if Mir wins and faces Brock for a third time, while Nog beats Cain and gets the number one contender spot. If Mir were to further beat Brock in their match then it would be a massive rematch with Nog while they could have Brock and Carwin face one another while at the same time Dos and Cain could face off. The possibilities are really limitless but I’m looking forward to that scenario cause every fight completely interests me.

• mu_shin says:

Can’t really see how anyone could say Carwin is one dimensional, due to the fact that his eleven wins are almost evenly divided between knockouts and submissions; but even more than that, we’ve never really gotten a chance to see what this guy can do. Check his record: all eleven of his professional MMA fights never got out of the FIRST ROUND…

My hope for the Mir/Carwin fight is that these guys really get a chance to dig in and go to war. I’d like to see Shane Carwin go into the second and third round against a strong enough opponent to really test his skills and his endurance. Mir also has some past performances he needs to assuage some doubts about as far as his conditioning goes.

I know everyone is looking for the major heavyweight slugfest, and Carwin certainly can deliver in that regard. Looks to me like Mir has also taken the time to put in the work on his stand up striking if the Kongo fight is any indication, but personally, I’d like to see this fight take place in all the planes of MMA, and see a real well rounded war between these two heavies. Let Carwin show he can handle a master grappler on the ground, and I can’t think of a better preparation for an eventual Mir/Lesnar III than dealing with Shane Carwin’s strength as a wrestler.

Really like both of these fighters. As a fan, I’ve always been a Mir supporter, as I really appreciate the submission grappling game, and agree with a lot of guys that he is driven and obsessive enough to make headway toward a possible victory over Carwin, and over Brock as well. I just think that Shane Carwin has shown a lot of toughness, amazing recovery ability in the Gonzaga fight, and the kind of killer instinct this sport is all about. Look forward to Mir/Carwin, and to whoever gets the chance to welcome Brock Lesnar back into the cage. May the best man prevail.

• mu_shin says:

Descarte’s latin fan: massive respect for Nogueira, but I don’t see his style matching well against Brock Lesnar. With the speed and power Brock puts into his bull-rush takedowns, as well as the strength he has to wrestle an opponent into the fence for a ground and pound assault, as we saw in the victory over Frank Mir, I don’t see Big Nog having the technical answers for those tactics. Noone could ever question Nogueira’s heart, toughness, and fighting abilities, but he’s never been the most fleet of foot in the ring, and doesn’t present the athletic quickness to elude Lesnar’s onslaught. Of course, Mir caught Brock in their first fight, and Noqueira wrote the book on heavyweight submission, so I’d never count Nog totally out, but just looking at the strategies available to him against Lesnar, I think a healthy Nogueira at his best would be a longshot in that scenario.

• Angry Mike says:

I guess I’m confused. If I understand Lesnar’s medical condition, he was the one sh**ting his pants.